Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan Gould

Whither Allen Lowe?

43 posts in this topic

Surgery Tuesday in Boston. I remain terrified but determined. 

12 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

Surgery Tuesday in Boston. I remain terrified but determined. 

Good luck.

If you get out Friday or Saturday and you want to hear some live music, Kenny Garrett is playing at Scullers. These will be the first live shows there since before Covid.

well, from what I know, I will be out of commission for about 3 months. There will be a skin graft, sinus work, and tissue embedded between my sinuses and my brain; also some muscle transplant to rebuilt my very sunken forehead.

Best of luck, Allen.  Remain strong.

6 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

well, from what I know, I will be out of commission for about 3 months. There will be a skin graft, sinus work, and tissue embedded between my sinuses and my brain; also some muscle transplant to rebuilt my very sunken forehead.

wow, that is quite a process. Sending healing vibes your way!

15 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

Jeez, I thought you were just getting some skin grafts. That sounds like a lot more than that. Good luck with your surgery. There are some great doctors in Boston so you should be in good hands.

All the best, Allen !

I think you wrote some very interesting but also critical statements about Dexter, especially referring to his behind the beat playing. It made me to re-analyze some of my earlier impressions, and I thought about you when I wrote that....

Sorry to hear this, Allen. I pray that you, and the bass player, will quickly recover.

Oh shit, just seeing Allen's latest post. I only check this forum sporadically now, but Allen, your scholarship has been inspiring to me, and I've bought most, maybe all of your books and historical CD sets.  The care and thought you put into your work is just mind-boggling. 

Best of luck Allen. Thoughts are with you. 

thanks all, out of surgery 10 days. in some pain but the graft is holding though as i pointed out elsewhere i look like an aardvark. From what the doctors told me this thing would have killed me in another year or two, left unfixed. There will be one or more reconstructive operations in the next year (I suffer from major radiation poisoning; the treatment killed the cancer but caused other problems). but as long as I am here let me mention that I have a double cd coming out in November on ESP called Ascension Into the Maelstrom. Mention my disease and get 10 percent off.

Posted (edited)

Nothing will ever kill your sense of humor, Allen!

Edited by mikeweil

31 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Nothing will ever kill your sense of humor, Allen!

Amen to that!  Stay strong, Allen.

Allen, if you'd like something to pass the time, why not participate in my Blindfold Test this month?  You might like it.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, mjzee said:

Allen, if you'd like something to pass the time, why not participate in my Blindfold Test this month?  You might like it.

Thank you it’s a very tempting offer, but at this point I am in a great deal of pain and can barely see. Give me a few months.