ItsAboutTime.jpg

Teddy Edwards with Les McCann Ltd. - It's About Time

Teddy Edwards: tenor saxophone

Les McCann: piano

Leroy Vinnegar: bass

Ron Jefferson: drums

cover design: Hardy Henderson

cover photos: Ivan Nagy

Who here would like to see this Pacific Jazz session as a Connoisseur release?

There were plenty of mono albums in all fields still released in 1967. . . .

Yeah, but by 1967 they were in a very large minority when it came to sales. I remember finding a mono LP in a bin when I used to shop for records and passing it over because stereo was considered "better". They even used to discount the mono versions to move them out. Many stores stopped buying them. This is why companies like Blue Note "electronically re-channeled" most of their mono back catalog... just so they could put the word "stereo" on the cover. It was the only way some stores would order it and some people would buy it.

Later,

Kevin

Well, I was in Africa at the time, but when anyone brought me albums from the States they were mono. I have a mono Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme, Leo Wright Blues Shout,Charles Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet, Slide Hampton's Sister Salvation, Ruth Brown, etc. and I have in the last decades bought lots of mono records from the second half of the sixties so I just think it's not unusual that Contrasts was released in mono.

Edited by jazzbo

There were plenty of mono albums in all fields still released in 1967. . . .

Yeah, but by 1967 they were in a very large minority when it came to sales. I remember finding a mono LP in a bin when I used to shop for records and passing it over because stereo was considered "better". They even used to discount the mono versions to move them out. Many stores stopped buying them. This is why companies like Blue Note "electronically re-channeled" most of their mono back catalog... just so they could put the word "stereo" on the cover. It was the only way some stores would order it and some people would buy it.

Later,

Kevin

Blue Note was by then controlled by Liberty. I am sure Lion/Wolf would not have gone the electronic re-channel road if they had still been the Bosses!

I remember those times. The monaurals versions were out of fashion by then. I had to insist to get the mono versions of the new releases. I'm glad I stuck to mono as long as they were still being manufactured and still prefer the mono versions of those BN albums!

• 1 month later...

It strikes me as odd that we've now got the initially rejected Passing Ships AND a Mosaic box of other passed ships, but some of Andrew Hill's proper albums are still in hiding. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the unreleased Hill tapes, but surely we'll get up to speed with the proper titles as well, either through RVGs or Connies?

Also, since we're spitting out requests, how about finishing up the Sam Rivers line? Fuchsia and Contours are way too good not to have company.

Well, the October Connoisseurs are solidifying. Nothing definite, but it looks like we got in two more "Organissimo Special Requests"!! :) Michael really liked our idea of putting out the Quebec 45's stuff as a two-fer. It looks like it'll make it. The other title he hadn't thought of was the Kenny Cox two-fer. He still doesn't know if it will all fit but he's going to try.

The other titles that are looking solid:

Booker Ervin - "(New Titled) Quintet"

Don Cherry - Where Is Brooklyn

Jackie McLean - Consequence

Andrew Hill - Hmmm... which one did he say?

Anyway, when they firm up, I'll put the word out.

He got his hands on a copy of that Conte Condoli date and he said that it sounds like they used the tapes that Fresh Sounds used for their LP. He said the tell-tale "swooshy cymbles" were there. He also said that because of this release, he's likely not going to do this in the Connoisseur series for a bit because the (possibly) limited sales would be even lessened by this version being out there.

Later,

Kevin

PS - Some people may be proud of me. I did once again push for "The Gigolo" as an RVG. It turns out the reason Michael hasn't included it in these recent batches is because he is using Rudy's recent remasterings. He isn't going back to the first batches because he didn't like the tighly panned stereo Rudy used. In other words, for there to be an RVG of "The Gigolo", it would have to be re-done (I'm guessing).

The other title he hadn't thought of was the Kenny Cox two-fer. He still doesn't know if it will all fit but he's going to try.

If my burns are any indication, I seem to remember they'd both fit on one CD, or are pretty damn close (maybe 15 or 20 seconds more than 80 minutes, at most). And that's based on my burns of LP's, probably without tight edits on the front and back side of each side of each LP.

Who's got the exact timings of the Kenny Cox LP's handy?? No tellin' if my burns are exact, pitch/speed-wise either, so my timings could be off a bit that way too (cumulatively speaking, across four LP sides).

(Plus, I have no idea where my burns for these two dates are at the moment -- and I don't want to tear up the place looking for them. :P )

Edited by Rooster_Ties