Andrew Hill Select now on the Mosaic Website!!!!!

Listening to the three supplied tunes right now.

The Dance sounds good (a barn-burner, I'd say) but still, pretty standard fare. MOMA I find the best on the three and a good example of the maxim: less is more. Hill sounds especially fine. Wish there had been a more interesting bassist and more creative drummer on hand, though. Monkash sounds... er... interesting. Not sure about those strings; their arrangement sounds rather amateurish. Maybe a failed experiment on the part of Hill?

The Dance sounded OK to me, but I didn't like the other two tunes. I agree with Tony's assessment of Ron Carter and the drummer, and I'm not exactly a fan of the strings thing.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Mosaic is going to be pleasantly surprised at the number (even if it is relatively small) of pre-orders this set gets ...

Thank goodness Andrew agreed to having this one come out. My expectations aren't too high, but I am really looking forward to getting to know the music in this set.

playing these teasers, it says Art Pepper in the artist info part of the window.

Who said that Mosaic was all quality control? ;)

Listening to this stuff, which is pretty decent stuff for sure, I really wonder how often I would return to it. Maybe the Hill I have on my shelves is enough for me. And even then, apart from DwDeath, I haven't played any of it for over a year or so... We'll see.

I really wonder how often I would return to it. Maybe the Hill I have on my shelves is enough for me.

At this point, I'm thinking the exact same thing...

The Pepper's a 100% go...as is the forthcoming Pacific Jazz Trio set with the Clare Fisher's and the Rowles material from 'Rare, But Well Done' and 'Pianists Galore'.

The Pepper's a 100% go...as is the forthcoming Pacific Jazz Trio set with the Clare Fisher's and the Rowles material from 'Rare, But Well Done' and 'Pianists Galore'.

I'm also looking forward to the Pacific Jazz Piano Trio Select, or whatever it's going to be called.

The Hill discography is still getting some touching up, but please have a look here:

http://www.JazzDiscography.com/Artists/Hill

Mike

Since Mike has let the cat out the bag let me give him a public THANK YOU for letting me work with him on this project. Its something I had been thinking about doing for a while and I believe we have produced something we can be proud of. I also want to thank all the other contributors listed on the discography.

Keep in mind that this is only the beginning of an ongoing project. I invite anyone and everyone to contact me directly with any corrections and/or additions.

Ronald

A minor point, but I think the 6/10/00 concert with McLean, Hutcherson and Higgins was a joint concert with no leader. I remember this concert was listed as Departures and Destinations, and a number of us from board Krypton met up over there (as did Tom Evered - Michael Cuscuna was attending a graduation). We naively thought they would play pieces from Destination Out and Point of Departure! There was even talk of trying to enlist Grachan Moncur III. I remember meeting Kevin Bresnahan, Dmitry, and someone who went by Miles Davis on the old board. Two board Krypton members were there who are not members here: Rob (Vitti or Zitti?) and the legendary hardbop, who quietly slipped into the night without a word.

Bertrand.

This my first Mosaic pre order too and I believe the people at Mosaic will be blown away by the support this box set is going to get in sales. While listenening to Monkash, at the beginning, I heard a sound similar to Alice Coltranes impulse sides as to the strings and it also reminded me of Max Roach's soul note recordings with Max's daughter's string quartet playing with the group.

dova

BTW, "Naked Spirit" (from Hommage) and "Tripping" (from Shades) are two different titles for the same composition.

Luca

Hmmm. I am comparing these two tracks right now. Sounds like another instance where Mr. Hill gives the same composition multiple titles. He apparently did this a lot. I have also been told by Ron Horton that he also sometimes made slight changes to a composition and then gave it a new title. I wonder if that is the case with this composition? At a minimum, the difference in the arrangement for solo in 1975 and trio in 1987 is very interesting.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Well.... The person posted a list of Mosaic boxes that she was selling on the BNBB and one of them was the AH box which had *just* gone OOP like a week before. I sent her an email, we agreed on a price($150), and I sent her a check that day for that amount. 3 months later and many, MANY emails she finally sent the box. It was pretty bad. First she emailed me to say that she had sent it and she gave me a tracking #, which turned out to be bogus. Then she switched her story saying that she was sick and would send it the next week,"post haste" when she got better. Then she said she was too busy because she was trying to finish her disseration and couldn't spare the time to head down to the post office, blah, blah, blah. Actually, I was getting nowhere(and had pretty much given up hope of ever seeing the box or my money) until one of the other BNBB members*(who is a attorney) sent her a letter threatening legal action. I think he had bought one of the other boxes and had some trouble completing the transaction too. I should have known better because she had just joined the board. But I was DESPERATE. Those AH Mosaics were fetching over $200 at the time on Ebay. Lesson learned.

* not sure if he wants his name used.