Andrew Hill Select now on the Mosaic Website!!!!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the set will sell out with Organissimo pre-orders alone!

I will use my usual approach. Wait until the release date, monitor Organissimo for a couple of weeks to see if there are any manufacturing snafus, and then order the thing. If it's already sold out, that will be a Mosaic record.

Bertrand.

It looks like the set will sell out with Organissimo pre-orders alone!

I will use my usual approach. Wait until the release date, monitor Organissimo for a couple of weeks to see if there are any manufacturing snafus, and then order the thing. If it's already sold out, that will be a Mosaic record.

Bertrand.

Why wait?? :huh: It's not like Mosaic wouldn't make good on any defects. They always have in the past.

Pre-ordered too. Woo-hoo!

MS016.jpg

"The 2003 release of Andrew Hill's Passing Ships on Blue Note set off a torrent of requests for more unissued Hill material. After some discussions with the artist, we came up with a solution: clean out the closet in one fell swoop.

With the release of these sessions, recorded between 1967 and '70, every piece of music from Andrew Hill's Blue Note recordings has been issued."

Who would have thought. A great day indeed!

(Does the "torrent of requests" indicate at all that we might see some future Hill Connoisseurs ... for those who missed the Mosaic?)

Pick up Dance With Death also. It's very good.

Ditto that. When Hill's Connoisseurs become scarce, they'll likely go for steep prices on e-bay. Now's the time to scoop up those titles that interest you. (I think everyone here already knows that, though.)

I wouldn't want to be without Lift Every Voice, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's not into vocals in a "jazz" setting. Still, it gets my :tup.

Slightly off-topic, but the East-West Hill's from the mid-70's are also very nice. (I don't have Blue Black though ... d'oh!)

Pick up Dance With Death also.  It's very good.

Ditto that. When Hill's Connoisseurs become scarce, they'll likely go for steep prices on e-bay. Now's the time to scoop up those titles that interest you. (I think everyone here already knows that, though.)

I wouldn't want to be without Lift Every Voice, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's not into vocals in a "jazz" setting. Still, it gets my :tup.

Slightly off-topic, but the East-West Hill's from the mid-70's are also very nice. (I don't have Blue Black though ... d'oh!)

I love LEV too! I've never heard the East-West sessions. I think Nefertiti is still around - I haven't been able to locate Blue/Black though.

Listening to the three supplied tunes right now.

The Dance sounds good (a barn-burner, I'd say) but still, pretty standard fare. MOMA I find the best on the three and a good example of the maxim: less is more. Hill sounds especially fine. Wish there had been a more interesting bassist and more creative drummer on hand, though. Monkash sounds... er... interesting. Not sure about those strings; their arrangement sounds rather amateurish. Maybe a failed experiment on the part of Hill?