jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Dexter Gordon with Junior Mance - "Body and soul", from "Dexter Gordon at Montreux" on Prestige. Dex had a go at doing this song with a "Maiden voyage" feeling in the studio for Prestige, but this live verson hits the feel perfectly.

MG

That entire At Montreux album is an ass-kicker, love it!

A Street in Bombay - Amancio D'Silva

This is from an album that went unreleased for ages and then came out as Konkan Dance. There may have been some unaddressed rights issues, as it has vanished and fetches over $80 used (well, sometimes the LP can be had for more like $30-40). Too bad! It's sort of in the same vein as Miles in India, but actually I think this works better.

I'm listening to it off the Impressed 2 CD mixed by Gilles Peterson (itself on the rarish side).

Listening to honkers all day, Eddie Chamblee's 1953 recording of "Lonesome road" for United stopped me in my tracks (it's a long time since I played that LP, because I have more than half of it on CD). "WHO THE FUCK IS THAT PIANIST!!!!????"

Well, he's not bad, y'know. Young Johnny Young :D

MG

Call me strange, but the 1980's were a great rock decade.

I'll call you strange if you want, but I won't disagree with you. I still think of eighties rock (or, to be more accurate for me, 1976-1986 rock) as a strange and wonderful oddity. When I sold off my music a while back, the 80's vinyl went nowhere!

Intervention!

:lol:

I've had to make many drives to Northern California and Tucson in the past months, and I always wind up listening to a couple of hours of Sirius XM U, which is the "indie rock" satellite radio station. I guess you could say it's influencing my taste in rock. Look on the bright side -- I could have linked The Big Pink: Dominos. :w