Non Interesting re-issues from Bluenote

Hardbopjazz

Gotta love the sales pitch:

EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN

Timeless Albums on CD & LP In One Package!

Younger, more eclectic-minded, pop culture fans are delving into all things retro. From the early-'60s Madison Ave. of Mad Men to the classic style trends being reintroduced by Penguin and the soulful girl group sounds of artists like Amy Winehouse and Adele, today's "tastemakers" can't get enough of the early- to mid-'60s.

That's right kids: these artists lived and breathed their art so that hip young "tastemakers" can equate this music with the likes of Amy Winehouse. UGH!

Now fans can have their cake and eat it too! No music label represented that classic era better than Blue Note Records, and now Blue Note is proud to unveil the first group in their series of vinyl + bonus CD reissues of the cream of the crop classics from the Blue Note vaults.

These 12 classic Blue Note bestsellers are now available with a CD and LP in one package at one low price: a CD for their car or computer, and warm analog LP for the home sound system!

I suppose the case could be made that the author of this pitch is too young to remember the first two times all of these titles came out. Probably weaned on the likes of Boney James and such, wanting to dig deeper into this art, lands himself a job at EMI and notices.... Oh My GOSH!!! Look at these titles! I need to get these out there NOW!

Or the writer could just be a lying sack-o-shit who would make P.T. Barnum proud.

Each LP is mastered from the original analog tapes by Ron McMaster. Each state-of-the art CD is mastered in 24-bit by Rudy Van Gelder, the original recording engineer of these historic sessions. These releases are iconic not just for the music inside but for the stunning, legendary album covers, which are works of art themselves.

And if you believe the CD is being remastered AGAIN, I have some beautiful beachfront property in Galveston you might be interested in..... <_<

Edited by Big Al

Well, you only can agree with everything that's been said here, but leaving the sales blurb aside, it IS nice to have some of those items widely available in vinyl again. I know I'd been looking around for a vinyl copy of "Song For My Father" (I admit I AM a vinyl nut) for quite some time but to no avail, at least not within the price bracket I was willing to shell out for a secondhand reissue. Not only Liberty and Japan pressings but also other later reissues seemed to command (relatively speaking) top bucks so I'd passed them up and finally bought a CD from the BN offerings at Zweitausendeins. But it STILL isn't the same thing.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

@Hardbopjazz and your change of the title of this topic:

Aren't you being a bit rash about this??

These reissues may be non-interesting to you BN freaks/geeks out there who pride themselves on having first pressings of the entire 1500/4000 and possibly 5000 series of BN's on their shelves and who do nothing but drool about ears in wax, markings, addresses on covers, hues of blue on labels, etc. but believe it or not - there ARE others out there with other priorities and other focuses (including the fact there is a LOT of jazz beyond Hard Bop and Blue Note to listen to) and who might welcome the idea of adding a few vinyl items of decent pressing quality (and who DON'T buy the idea of despising any pressings all the way from the Liberty era on up to the present as being unworthy of keeping and listening to , etc.).

Besides, the price I've seen aint that bad for a vinyl PLUS a CD copy of those sets (for those who want that combination) - though I've a hunch by the time these offers reach European shores/retail outlets they will be far less attractively priced ...

In short, to each his own, but no reason for excessive snobbery ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

This is good news if the LPs are decently mastered.

Unfortunately many current "normally priced" LP reissues (in the $10-20 price range) are made from poor copies of the masters and are interesting only for the vintage appeal.

If the LPs are of very high quality in terms of mastering and pressing, then the labels charge $30 and more, not because the production costs so much more, but because audiophiles are willing to pay that much.

Edited by Claude

This is good news if the LPs are decently mastered.

Unfortunately many current "normally priced" LP reissues (in the $10-20 price range) are made from poor copies of the masters and are interesting only for the vintage appeal.

If the LPs are of very high quality in terms of mastering and pressing, then the labels charge $30 and more, not because the production costs so much more, but because audiophiles are willing to pay that much.

Unfortunately, you're mostly correct, decent pressing and mastering reissues goes from 19/20 bucks upward, in my experience.

here we go again- my guess is michael cuscuna is a thousand miles away from this project, ditto rudy v. gelder. I also bet you they are using for the master, U-matic copies blue note sent out to whomever to do their dirty work for them. If this was a mastering of the unreleased Tyrone Washingon Trainweck album, i would pick up a copy probably

here we go again- my guess is michael cuscuna is a thousand miles away from this project, ditto rudy v. gelder. I also bet you they are using for the master, U-matic copies blue note sent out to whomever to do their dirty work for them. If this was a mastering of the unreleased Tyrone Washingon Trainweck album, i would pick up a copy probably

"to whomever"

You're slipping, chewy.

:)

MG

"to whomever"

You're slipping, chewy.

:)

MG

don't be so harsh, he attented a grammer school all summer for this! :g

here we go again- my guess is michael cuscuna is a thousand miles away from this project, ditto rudy v. gelder. I also bet you they are using for the master, U-matic copies blue note sent out to whomever to do their dirty work for them.

Wrong.

These were cut from the masters by Ron McMaster at Capitol Mastering a few months back.

It sure seems like people just like to bitch. "Blue Note stopped making LPs! Waah." "Blue Note is making LPs again! Bah." Make up your minds. These are Blue Note's best selling titles. If they want to find out what the LP market's like, these are the titles to use. If these can't sell, there's no way they're cutting a Tyrone Washington date.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I'm very pleased that BN has taken this direction. I'll be happy if the vinyl quality and mastering is decent. I presume that McMaster used analogue only for the LPs. Anyone know if the attached Cds have more tracks (where available) Song for My Father springs to mind. I fancy Page One and perhaps Somethin Else

here we go again- my guess is michael cuscuna is a thousand miles away from this project, ditto rudy v. gelder. I also bet you they are using for the master, U-matic copies blue note sent out to whomever to do their dirty work for them.

Wrong.

These were cut from the masters by Ron McMaster at Capitol Mastering a few months back.

It sure seems like people just like to bitch. "Blue Note stopped making LPs! Waah." "Blue Note is making LPs again! Bah." Make up your minds. These are Blue Note's best selling titles. If they want to find out what the LP market's like, these are the titles to use. If these can't sell, there's no way they're cutting a Tyrone Washington date.

Kevin

But why so many different variations? We've got:

Classic $30 a pop

Hoffman $50

These $20 things with CDs or MP3s included

$10 cheapies that I always assumed were some Scorpio-licensed lower-rung wax.

And many of the same titles in each!

Anyone know if the attached Cds have more tracks (where available) Song for My Father springs to mind.

Wasn't it revealed ages ago that the master tape for that session is damaged?

Nice to see BN do vinyl, but selling these only in LP+CD sets doesn't ring well with me. I would take it most people interested in analog quality remasters of these titles already have them on CD. I suppose one could always give the CDs away...