Mosaic warehouse closed

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why I didn't get the email??? :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: Are you on some kind of insider list???

Just got this e-mail from Mosaic:

Mosaic Records has not been immune to the shrinkage of the music industry and the ailing economy. Over the past two years, this has forced us to make some tough decisions and tighten our belt on more than one occasion.

In February, survival required us to close our warehouse and outsource our fulfillment to an excellent operation nearby. Like any new relationship, there will be bumps in the road initially but we are doing everything possible to insure that the quality of our operations maintain the high standard to which you have become accustomed. Please bear with us during this transitional period.

Our goal is to continue to mine vaults and issue definitive box sets of great jazz. The setbacks in the record industry have only made us more committed to the Mosaic Records mission.

I wonder why I didn't get the email??? mellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gif Are you on some kind of insider list???

Mosaic Records has not been immune to the shrinkage of the music industry and the ailing economy. Over the past two years, this has forced us to make some tough decisions and tighten our belt on more than one occasion.

In February, survival required us to close our warehouse and outsource our fulfillment to an excellent operation nearby. Like any new relationship, there will be bumps in the road initially but we are doing everything possible to insure that the quality of our operations maintain the high standard to which you have become accustomed. Please bear with us during this transitional period.

Our goal is to continue to mine vaults and issue definitive box sets of great jazz. The setbacks in the record industry have only made us more committed to the Mosaic Records mission.

Maybe because you usually order by phone and not on-line, and aren't on their email list? I got one too, and I'm certainly not an insider. rolleyes.gif

No I get the emails... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I wonder why I didn't get the email??? mellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gif Are you on some kind of insider list???

Maybe because you usually order by phone and not on-line, and aren't on their email list? I got one too, and I'm certainly not an insider. rolleyes.gif

Closing facilities and cutting employees costs are two favorite ways for companies to cut costs. Warehouses eat up rent, insurance and taxes. By outsourcing order fulfillment, they're probably saving a lot of money, including employee costs, which include salaries and benefits. Whether that's enough, who knows. They also are apparently in a hobby where people are not spending a lot of money. Other hobbies are thriving even in this economy and unfortunately for Mosaic jazz afficionados are not spending money.

They also are apparently in a hobby where people are not spending a lot of money. Other hobbies are thriving even in this economy and unfortunately for Mosaic jazz afficionados are not spending money.

???

Any number of threads on this forum (and elsewhere) seem to indicate quite the contrary. At least to me.

They also are apparently in a hobby where people are not spending a lot of money. Other hobbies are thriving even in this economy and unfortunately for Mosaic jazz afficionados are not spending money.

???

Any number of threads on this forum (and elsewhere) seem to indicate quite the contrary. At least to me.

They're not spending enough money ;)

As with most of you - I hope that Mosaic can continue for quite some time into the future - even if it has to be a shell of the former company it was. As long as they continue to produce quality releases, I'll be here to buy them.

I don't mind if they slow to just a few releases a year - enough to keep Scott busy and out of trouble. Isn't it just Scott and MC now? Money's tight and at $120 a pop or so for a set, it's tough to come up with more than a couple of sets worth a year anyways.

I see there won't be any Selects for a while but I'm not sure what role the Select plays at this point. When they first came out $39 a piece, they were a significant savings over the traditional set. Once they raise the price to $44 - the difference on a per disc basis is not that great. I think I'd rather have a traditional set with that packaging and booklet than the Select packaging which I always considered not up to their standard, ugly with those pastel colors, and pretty much cheesy in construction. Perhaps production costs on a per disc basis are lower for bigger sets?

I guess one thing they might have going for them is that with major labels slowing jazz reissues to a trickle, there could be a demand for some product eventually. I just don't know how much demand there will be for jazz going forward though. The demographic is certainly not expanding.

I like the idea floated above about re-releasing some past sets. Screw the secondary market. I just don't know what would sell in today's market though. Most of the sets I would want out again are merely because I missed them - and not because they would sell thousands of units.

Oh well

I wonder why I didn't get the email??? :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: Are you on some kind of insider list???

I got the email. Have you ordered from them recently? Checked your spam folder?

???

They're not spending enough money wink.gif

That would seem to be the answer because for some reason net revenues are not exceeding expenditures.

???

They're not spending enough money ;)

.... and there aren't enough of them.

No I get the emails... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

It was in an email titled "Last Chance." The top half of the email was about the Bix Box; below that is the announcement.

Here are my thoughts as to why: The Mosaic building was mostly a warehouse, with a front set of offices. Either:

1) The lease was up for renewal. Mosaic farms out fulfillment to a third party, and gives up the building, resulting in significant savings. Michael and Scott then work out of their homes.

2) The south end of Stamford is currently going through massive renewal: very large office/residential/shopping complexes are being planned. The current owner of the Mosaic building is selling out, and told Mosaic to leave.

3) Same as #2, except that it's possible that Mosaic either owns or co-owns the building. They make money on the sale.

Article on the development of the area around Mosaic warehouse; not a comprehensive article on the subject, but it'll give you a taste:

Stamford Advocate

I doubt Mosaic will reissue popular sets of the past because they would have to pay the licensing fees once more and it might be risky to assume that such sets would sell out. Remember that they have often had problems selling Capitol sets, putting many of them on sale.

No clue, but some names that have been floated include Keith Jarrett (Atlantic), Miff Mole, and Lucky Thompson.

Each of those could be very cool, especially Miff Mole! Talk about a forgotten master!

As for Mosaic, we've been talking about its demise for years, and it's still here. The Recession is gradually ending...too gradually for sure...but ending. Assuming they come out of it in business, I bet they'll be around for a while. They've got great supporters on this Board and elsewhere too. Let's be optimistic!

gregmo