• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, BillF said:

That Rollins biography is certainly taking me back to some good un's! 😃

pr-7024-cover-n3.jpg?w=640

I love that record and I think I purchased it more than 45 years ago. This is some of the very best Bud Powell I ever heard, as I always liked mostly what he did with horns.
The J.J. Johnson sides sounded very strange to me then, since I had expected a similar bebop power run, but it sounds more in the vein of "Cool Jazz". Afternoon In Paris is a wonderful tune, I have played it often, as I did the fast tunes from the Sonny Stitt sides "Fine and Dandy" "All Got´s Chillun got Rhythm", "I want to be happy " and what is more on that. 

Since you mention the Rollins biography that I still have not read, I remember once I heard a Rollins version of "Afternoon" in Paris which I think was with some musicians from Miles Davis´ 2nd Quintet which really burns. 

P.S.: I think my discography of so called "Cool Jazz" is very very small. I have some Lennie Tristano from the late 40´s , of course "Birth of the Cool" but I think that´s it. I love them very much but I think I have to be in a certain non playing mood when I listen to it. 

25 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

P.S.: I think my discography of so called "Cool Jazz" is very very small. I have some Lennie Tristano from the late 40´s , of course "Birth of the Cool" but I think that´s it. I love them very much but I think I have to be in a certain non playing mood when I listen to it. 

You should at least look into some Konitz & Getz  + the Capitol Jazz Classics series - very nice "cool" sounds

;-]]

22 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

You should at least look into some Konitz & Getz  + the Capitol Jazz Classics series - very nice "cool" sounds

;-]]

I have Konitz with Tristano, and one side of Konitz with Miles and Bird´s rhythm section (but that´s bop tunes, only the cool sound of Konitz is in contrast to it and it´s very very fine), and maybe the Lee Konitz-Miles Davis early Prestige date with "Ezzthetics" and some Konitz tracks without Miles, that sound very abstract + some Teddy Charles). 
From Stan Getz I have an early Prestige Date I think, it´s with Bird´s rhythm section or so, with Al Haig, Tommy Potter and Roy Haynes. That´s a bop rhythm section in contrast with the very cool Getz sound, mostly his "Long Island Sound" if I remember right. From the "Capitol" label I think the only thing I have is "Birth of the Cool".....

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Streaming via bandcamp (for the moment):

sirone~~~~~_artistryw_101b.jpg

Sirone - Artistry (Of the Cosmos, 1979); reissued on moved-by-sound
with:
Sirone - Bass
James Newton - Flute
Muneer Bernard Fennell - Cello
Don Moye - Percussion

Beautiful.

Fabulous, top five for me. Took a few copies to get a clean one but we'll worth it.

I hear good things about the reissue, it's a needle drop but not at all noticeably a friend assures me

50 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Fabulous, top five for me. Took a few copies to get a clean one but we'll worth it.

I hear good things about the reissue, it's a needle drop but not at all noticeably a friend assures me

I just sold my original LP, which I bought sealed/unplayed, in favor of the new CD. It sounds perfectly fine to me. 

I just finished playing my favorite Horace Silver recording, "The Hardbop Grandpop". It's just a fun record and swings like hell. Silver's bouncy piano is well placed in the mix and the band is tight. And what a band - with Claudio Roditi, Steve Turre, Michael Brecker, Ronnie Cuber, Ron Carter & Lewis Nash.

Primary