Mosaic Records is releasing a Savory collection set

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those like me who are not in the know, is this essential listening for each of the artists included here? The sound excerpts are really enticing. The period seems ideal. I haven't read about this rediscovery and the downloads so would be very interested in what some of you have to say.

2 hours ago, OliverM said:

For those like me who are not in the know, is this essential listening for each of the artists included here? The sound excerpts are really enticing. The period seems ideal. I haven't read about this rediscovery and the downloads so would be very interested in what some of you have to say.

Difficult question I think ... maybe a simple "yes" would be good enough, but there's a "but", too, which is linked to what's looked at or has grown to be looked at as the "canon", and obviously these fairly recent discoveries are obvsiouly not canonical in that respect. If you want to check out Lester Young (you really should if you haven't done so!) the two Mosaic sets plus the Decca Basie set would be essential listening (or at least parts of them), there are other essential recordings as well that may be more difficult to locate (the amazing Famous Door broadcast that Sony packaged into their 2004 100th anniversary set that would also make a very good introduction to Basie and to some extent to Young as well, though if you want to really dig into Young, you need more than you get there). I guess it's similar for most of the musicians featured in there, i.e. Coleman Hawkins ... there's a terrific new version of "Body and Soul" that probably would be canonical if it had been out for a few decades, in an era where people still cared ... somehow speaking of this "canon" crap at this point in time hardly adds up to much as I guess there aren't many people around anymore that would really care.

But what I'm sure, from knowing Vols. 1-3 as Downloads is: it's excellent Music in good sound, and it will bring many hours of pleasure to me!

The PDFs coming with the DL's, btw, are worthy of Mosaic, too, so that part of the work is already done I guess, and the music should be ready, too - so let's hope February is indeed when it's happening, and not when the usual series of delays Begins ...)

For more on the "discovery" and the background of the collection, you could read this article here, for instance:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/arts/music/17jazz.html

2 hours ago, OliverM said:

King Ubu is right from his point of view, but although I do not know what your approach to jazz from this period is,  I'll try to make it more succinct: IMO it is essential to anybody who loves swing-era jazz. Because it adds something new and something substantial to the recorded history of a music where most if not all has been thought to have been discovered and out long ago. (o.k., not counting Benny Goodman ... ;))

And while I am not holding my breath on this I still hope somehow that some day someone who has been digging through the discs and (?) reels of this find will come up and say "Hey, I just discovered Mr Savory DID record that 1943 Earl Hines big band too!" ;)

Btw, any news yet from Jazzmessengers that they will get this in stock too? (Just wondering whether to preorder direct or wait for Jazzmessengers to get on board)

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

King Ubu is right from his point of view, but although I do not know what your approach to jazz from this period is,  I'll try to make it more succinct: IMO it is essential to anybody who loves swing-era jazz. Because it adds something new and something substantial to the recorded history of a music where most if not all has been thought to have been discovered and out long ago. (o.k., not counting Benny Goodman ... ;))

Yup, agreed on that! It will be tons of fun, that's for sure!

And while I am not holding my breath on this I still hope somehow that some day someone who has been digging through the discs and (?) reels of this find will come up and say "Hey, I just discovered Mr Savory DID record that 1943 Earl Hines big band too!" ;)

Ha! Next April 1st joke around here? :w 

Btw, any news yet from Jazzmessengers that they will get this in stock too? (Just wondering whether to preorder direct or wait for Jazzmessengers to get on board)

Not sure what they're up to ... re-vamping the website with the result of being offline for a week during pre-x-mas sounds almost suicidal ... but maybe they're back to a point where they will reply to an email inquiry? Please let us know :w:w 

5 hours ago, king ubu said:

But the DLs, I suppose, are included entirely? No time yet to compare, and was just about to buy Vol. 4 ...

Either way, this is terrific news!

With my response I was responding to the query above about overlap between the Basie/Young Mosaic set and the upcoming Savory set, noting that the Basie material from the Basie/Young set is not duplicated on the Savory set.

There was some negativity about Jazz Messengers being off-line on another forum, that's why I contacted them and got this reply within a day:

We saw those speculating and harmful messages on the [xxx] Forum. They are clearly out of context. Luckily, we still are more than alive! The truth is that we are just renovating our website. Maybe it wasn’t the perfect time, but we had to do it eventually.

Edited by J.A.W.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

With my response I was responding to the query above about overlap between the Basie/Young Mosaic set and the upcoming Savory set, noting that the Basie material from the Basie/Young set is not duplicated on the Savory set.

I know ... but I had no time yet to compare with the tracklist of the DLs - I assume they're there entirely (i.e. disc one is the same as Vol. 1 etc)?

@J.A.W. I know ... but it's still pretty weird to re-vamp the website in that time of the year. Maybe the downtime wasn't expected to be so long, but having the site down for several days and without any status update is not really a great idea (I saw one when had been back up and then down again, and THEN they had a message about the site being changed).

That those recordings are being issued by Mosaic is very good news indeed...

Just wish that more stuff from Ellington were listed in that release including the items unveiled in the November 19 podcast from the National Jazz Museum In Harlem website.

Edited by brownie

I too prefer CD's, but I assumed that it was download or nothing on the Savory releases.  Since each release has really been in my wheelhouse, I've purchased them all.  Now I have pre-ordered the Mosaic set (always my preference) and feel as if I've been taken for a (short) ride as it were.  

Thanks Flurin for the detailed reply, and to the others too!

Hopefully I do have some Lester Young to ease down the harder moments in life (the Decca Basie, the Aladdin twofer, and the Billie Holidays essentially) and Hawkins (the Mosaic is great). I understand better now how these are situated relatively to those, and will try for sure to listen to these if I can't own them.

9 hours ago, king ubu said:

. If you want to check out Lester Young (you really should if you haven't done so!) the two Mosaic sets plus the Decca Basie set would be essential listening ( 

Doesn't one of the Mosaic sets duplicate what's on the Decca set?  (My pedantic side revealed again.) 

Edited by medjuck

8 hours ago, brownie said:

That those recordings are being issued by Mosaic is very good news indeed...

Just wish that more stuff from Ellington were listed in that release including the items unveiled in the November 19 podcast from the National Jazz Museum In Harlem website.

Huh!  What!!?  Do you have a link to it?  I can't find it on-line. Thanks.  And do you have the dates of the recordings? 

Edited by medjuck

On ‎18‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 0:00 PM, king ubu said:

I know ... but it's still pretty weird to re-vamp the website in that time of the year. Maybe the downtime wasn't expected to be so long, but having the site down for several days and without any status update is not really a great idea (I saw one when had been back up and then down again, and THEN they had a message about the site being changed

The new Jazz Messengers site is now up and running.

On 18.12.2017 at 5:31 PM, medjuck said:

Doesn't one of the Mosaic sets duplicate what's on the Decca set?  (My pedantic side revealed again.) 

True dat!

My mistake, put that one on the shelf after playing the Shoe Shine Boy session right when it arrived ... hardly any new music from me and so much other good stuff that came out this year that I simply didn't yet go through it all and thus forgot again :blush:

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

To me, on my system, the Mosaic of the Decca material sounds a bit better. Too bad that there were not better sources for Mosaic to use, but this more recent transfer to disc sounds better than the GRP.

To me too, though I'm not sure the Mosaic sounds better than the Heps.

gregmo