Jump to content

Which jazz book are you reading right now?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

No. Composer George Russell's wife was Juanita Odejnar. (He named a piece after her, which was recorded at the same session s "Ezzthetic.") After that marriage came to an end, Juanita married Giuffre.

There is some evidence that Giuffre had something with Vivien Garry.  On page 18 of the 25 January 1952 issue of Down Beat there is a photo entitled “Lighthouse Gang Illumines Lecture.”  Below the photo it says:

“For his lecture on progressive jazz in his Survey of Jazz course at UCLA, Nesuhi Ertegun brought a sample of the real thing for his students’ edification. Group was Howard Humsey’s [sic], from the Lighthouse cafe at Hermosa Beach, and included trombonist Milt Bernhart; trumpeter Shorty Rogers, tenorist Jimmy Giuffre; pianist bassist Rumsey, and durmmer Shelley Manne.  Lady at the left is Mrs. Giuffre, better known to record collectors as Vivien Garry. She assisted with some examples of vocal stylings.”

I believe Giuffre married several times.  Juanita was his last wife.

The Down Beat item is available on the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2022 at 3:05 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgTRl-Am35VLpyRGBfZCpAexaSf9uIyXx1ROiDNVwQLas5_4Vu

The trouble I have is that I had ordered it as a Kindle Book when it came out, I bought that Kindle thing only for this book, I managed to read it, but later I heard theres a paper edition too, but I didn´t buy it, since I thought eventually I re-read passages of the Kindle, but I just can´t stand reading a book if it´s not a paper book . 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The trouble I have is that I had ordered it as a Kindle Book when it came out, I bought that Kindle thing only for this book, I managed to read it, but later I heard theres a paper edition too, but I didn´t buy it, since I thought eventually I re-read passages of the Kindle, but I just can´t stand reading a book if it´s not a paper book . 

 

The virtues of a Kindle reading device were enumerated to me recently, and it did sound functional-but I remain affiliated with print.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

The virtues of a Kindle reading device were enumerated to me recently, and it did sound functional-but I remain affiliated with print.

 

I must check out if I can find a copy of the paper version. At least I´d like to read again those chapters or passages that seemed to be interesting for me. If I remember there was a bit too much about all his psychiatric hospital stays and medical records. But it might be interesting to read some stuff out of it, especially I think Mr. Carl Smith had his own theories about Bud´s time in Paris and his return to the States, not like Francis Paudras, who exagerated the importance of his friendship with Bud, at least that´s how I think it was. He misdated recordings as being earlier than they were, just to tell that he had such a long friendship with Bud, and he tends to the romantic side of the story. It can´t be like that. A music lover from the more burgois background and an adict artist in trouble, it is not that way it does not "work". And maybe he was naive also as he thought that Goodstein had called Bud back to NY just out of love and admiration, it was a business thing that didn´t work for him so he dropt him....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 9:44 PM, Larry Kart said:

No. Composer George Russell's wife was Juanita Odejnar. (He named a piece after her, which was recorded at the same session s "Ezzthetic.") After that marriage came to an end, Juanita married Giuffre.

But isn't that tune called/spelled "Odjenar"?
See Prestige LP 7287, where Ira Gitler also explains the origins of the tune's name and makes the link between her and her various husbands.

As far as I was able to find out, this also was the spelling of the tune on the original 78.
So which spelling of her name is right after all?

 

Edited by Big Beat Steve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2022 at 6:08 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

The virtues of a Kindle reading device were enumerated to me recently, and it did sound functional-but I remain affiliated with print.

 

You might enjoy reading on Kindle as you get older if your eyesight deteriorates.  I have to wear strong cheaters to read most hard-copy.  Every time I look away from the book I have to remove the glasses to see.  With Kindle I put it on a large monitor and bump up the fonts so I can read without glasses.  It's great!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

You might enjoy reading on Kindle as you get older if your eyesight deteriorates.  I have to wear strong cheaters to read most hard-copy.  Every time I look away from the book I have to remove the glasses to see.  With Kindle I put it on a large monitor and bump up the fonts so I can read without glasses.  It's great!

But it's not just that. Do you actually OWN the Kindle copy (if so, you would have to be able to download and save it elsewhere in a straightforward manner) or can it be revoked and made inaccessible on a whim later on? An oft-disucssed problem AFAIK and one that still does not work out in favor of the buyer/customer.

As for reading habits and needs as one gets older, YMMV (due to my own experience as I got ahead in years too 😉). As I wear progressives I have no problem adjusting to printed matter and still am very much "paper-oriented". On the contrary, looking at a small screen would make me tire faster. And putting the Kindle on a PC screen just to read - no thanks, there are plenty of readable and read-worthy websites and blogs (such as the recently mentioned jazzwestcoastresearch site 😉) where you do that anyway. So no real incentive to go that route with an e-book as well.

 

Edited by Big Beat Steve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

But it's not just that. Do you actually OWN the Kindle copy (if so, you would have to be able to download and save it elsewhere in a straightforward manner) or can it be revoked and made inaccessible on a whim later on? An oft-disucssed problem AFAIK and one that still does not work out in favor of the buyer/customer.

As for reading habits and needs as one gets older, YMMV (due to my own experience as I got ahead in years too 😉). As I wear progressives I have no problem adjusting to printed matter and still am very much "paper-oriented". On the contrary, looking at the screen would make me tire faster. And putting the Kindle on a PC screen just to read - no thanks, there are plenty of readable and read-worthy websites and blogs (such as the recently mentioned jazzwestcoastresearch site 😉) where you do that anyway. So no real incentive to go that route with an e-book as well.

 

Haha well I don't want to derail the thread but here is a suggestion: download the free kindle for pc software and install it.  Go to Gutenberg.org and look around for a free book to read as a sample, such as a nice P. G. Wodehouse novel.  See how it works for you.  The whole exercise is totally free.  A few years down the line it might change your life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

You might enjoy reading on Kindle as you get older if your eyesight deteriorates.  I have to wear strong cheaters to read most hard-copy.  Every time I look away from the book I have to remove the glasses to see.  With Kindle I put it on a large monitor and bump up the fonts so I can read without glasses.  It's great!

Another huge advantage of Kindle( at least for me), is that when traveling I do not have to carry a  large pile of traditional  books. My Kindle has a very lengthy number of ebooks loaded into this very light weight device.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

You might enjoy reading on Kindle as you get older if your eyesight deteriorates.  I have to wear strong cheaters to read most hard-copy.  Every time I look away from the book I have to remove the glasses to see.  With Kindle I put it on a large monitor and bump up the fonts so I can read without glasses.  It's great!

I think I'm just feeling cocky about my eyesight since I had cataract surgery in 2020 and could suddenly read again.  It seems likely that I'll be using Kindle sooner rather than later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the impression that the Kindle is quite heavy. It may be good to read. I need eyeglasses if I read. But the "book" is just heavy in my hands, it is not comfortable, and somehow I never got used to handle it, I´m not really into electronics. We always order our books, jazz books from where I find them, and beletristica online from România mostly......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2022 at 3:19 PM, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Haha well I don't want to derail the thread but here is a suggestion: download the free kindle for pc software and install it.  Go to Gutenberg.org and look around for a free book to read as a sample, such as a nice P. G. Wodehouse novel.  See how it works for you.  The whole exercise is totally free.  A few years down the line it might change your life.

Getting back to this (without wanting to derail this thread further either): The key question is: Will this allow me to download e-books in a printable file format so I can print out and make up my personal paperback-style hardcopy later on as I wish? I'd be used to that. I've done it often enough in the olden days long, long before there was such a thing as internet and OOP books (particularly foreign ones) remained inaccessible almost forever without going to totally uneconomical lengths and trouble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...