RIP Little Richard. He was 87.

Hardbopjazz

If you look at the history of rock & roll like a hotel, Little Richard had a suite on the first floor.  It would be impossible to list all the musicians he influenced both here and across the pond.  Music might very well have charted a different course without him.  

Serious and respectful historical question:

Wasn’t Richard one of the first (was he THE first?) truly “flamboyant” performer to reach a national audience to the degree he did?  (I’m NOT trying to invoke any “no true Scotsman” logic/arguments over whether any predecessors were “flamboyant enough” to qualify - just were they anywhere near as popular/famous as early/earlier than Richard’s early prominence.)

For instance, where does Liberace fit in the chronology here? - not that his and Richard’s brands of flamboyance were necessarily that (or even remotely) similar.

David Bowie. Prince. I’m sure plenty of others since, and probably a number I’m forgetting pre-Prince owe a great debt to Richard’s trail-blazing influence.

And aside from his musical import, I’d say he was certainly “culturally” important. Not only in retrospect, but certainly to any number of folks back in the day who might have wished for the freedom to exhibit the kind (and particular variety) of ‘chutzpah’ that Richard wore on his sleeve early on, and throughout his career.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Serious and respectful historical question:

Wasn’t Richard one of the first (was he THE first?) truly “flamboyant” performer to reach a national audience to the degree he did?  (I’m NOT trying to invoke any “no true Scotsman” logic/arguments over whether any predecessors were “flamboyant enough” to qualify - just were they anywhere near as popular/famous as early/earlier than Richard’s early prominence.)

Rooster, Little Richard was said to have copied his look and his flamboyant style from Esquerita.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquerita

Edited by GA Russell

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

This is the first I have ever heard of (much less heard) Esquerita.  That sure sounds like a lot of influence on Little Richard. Shouldn't Esquerita get more credit in the development of rock 'n roll?

More than he does, but not more that Little Richard, because what Christian McBride says.

THREE tenor solos in a 2:40 B-Side, ALL of them mighty as ALL fuck! And still - LITTLE RICHARD!!!!

ZERO tenor solos, and to what end?

Esquerita deserves a brighter light, but he was not the the sun that Little Richard was. He just wasn't.

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

S Q Rita never reached a national audience.

He also never recorded until several years after Little Richard so we'll never know what he sounded like pre-Little Richard. 

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

THREE tenor solos in a 2:40 B-Side, ALL of them mighty as ALL fuck! And still - LITTLE RICHARD!!!!

ZERO tenor solos, and to what end?

Esquerita deserves a brighter light, but he was not the the sun that Little Richard was. He just wasn't.

Notice that Little Richard has taken an authorship credit on his recording. And both recordings owe a lot to Lieber & Stoller's "Charlie Brown" as well as Danny and the Junior's "At the Hop".

Edited by medjuck

I admit it: I probably first heard Little Richard songs via Elvis-- maybe even Pat Boone.  But in 1956 when I was 13, a friend got this record: Screen-Shot-2020-05-09-at-8-32-31-PM.png

and being a pedant even then, I noted that some guy named R. Penniman got writing credit on most of the songs-- all of which I loved.   Seeing "The Girl Can't Help  It" in Sydney Nova Scotia on New Year's Eve that year sealed the deal. 

Edited by medjuck