Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 7

dougcrates

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

I've got a question for you... What's the best Miles record when Carlos Santana was in the band?? Preferably live...

Santana played with Miles once or twice, but was never “in the band” so to speak.

Peter Losin’s site suggests just once

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=860615

There’s a little more about it at the link above, but here’s the main details…

June 15, 1986 (5 items; TT = 24:50)
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ
Westwood One Radio Network (B)

Miles Davis (tpt, synth); Bob Berg (ss, ts); Robben Ford (g); Carlos Santana (g); Robert Irving III (synth); Adam Holzman (synth); Felton Crews (el-b); Vincent Wilburn Jr. (d); Steve Thornton (perc)

1 One Phone Call - Street Scenes (M. Davis) 1:10
2 Speak - That's What Happened (M. Davis-J. Scofield) 7:40
3 Tutu (M. Miller) 3:05
4 Splatch (M. Miller) 5:50
5 Burn (R. Irving III-R. Hall) 7:05
  Add Santana (g)

On 3/5/2022 at 11:11 AM, Ken Dryden said:

I'll probably pass on this release as well. The big mystery to me is Miles' Warner Bros. albums, as Marcus Miller's compositions bore the hell out of me. Too much vamping and the solos are uniinteresting.

Gotta disagree Ken.  I reinvestigated the Warner Bros years and found a lot of great music there and live recordings show it was even better.  What I found boring if we discuss vamps is Derrick Hodge's last album.  I'm just not that into that strain of hip hop/R&B.  The influence is fine but the actually contemporary genre I'm not that into but I have friends who are so it's all good.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:59 PM, JSngry said:

81-85 can be good, but...we still need to cover the Pete Cosey bands!

I don't understand why they didn't release it years ago. All the metal spine boxes they did seemed to be heading towards a culmination with the Agharta/Pangaea material. Why was that box never released?

I think a lot of people are still scared of/by that music. It's pretty damn uncompromising. Ferociously so.

You either deal with it entirely on its own terms or else you don't deal with it at all, there's no "safe entry". Not even the Lost Quintet at it's wildest was like that, not like this 

14 hours ago, Face of the Bass said:

I don't understand why they didn't release it years ago. All the metal spine boxes they did seemed to be heading towards a culmination with the Agharta/Pangaea material. Why was that box never released?

I was laboring under this misapprehension as well. 

On 2022/3/6 at 8:59 AM, Face of the Bass said:

They really should release "The Bootleg Series Vol. X: Live in Japan 1973 & 1975".  There are at least 4 shows from 1973 and 6 shows (including Agharta/Pangaea) from 1975 survived in some way.  I guess it makes a really good 10 CD box or such.  The sound quality of most of them are pretty good and the quality of music is mind-boggling.

Edited by mhatta

On 7.3.2022 at 1:27 AM, JSngry said:

I think a lot of people are still scared of/by that music. It's pretty damn uncompromising. Ferociously so.

You either deal with it entirely on its own terms or else you don't deal with it at all, there's no "safe entry". Not even the Lost Quintet at it's wildest was like that, not like this 

It was part of my musical developement. It was all around that time. The Lost Quintet is great, but sometimes the atonality of Chick Corea on Fender Rhodes gets on my nerves. I don´t need everything polished and like outbursts into atonality, but the Fender is not the best instrument for that, it´s more for a funky sound, but for Cecil Taylor like excursions the acoustic piano sounds better. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just noticed this on Peter Losin's excellent Miles Ahead site:

Another installment in the Bootleg Series (May 1, 2022)
After many stops and starts, the seventh set in the Miles Davis Bootleg Series will be released this fall. It will comprise unissued studio material from 1981-1984, plus the first official release of the full concert from Montreal's Théâtre St. Denis, parts of which were included on Decoy. In addition, the Montreal concert will be released separately on two LPs for Record Store Day.

On 2/24/2022 at 4:40 AM, Gheorghe said:

I think 2 years ago my wife bought me a bootleg of Miles 1981 at Hollywood Bowl, were he is celebrated with "Miles Davis Day". But to my disappointment , other than at the KIX club, he plays mostly muted and barely audible. I like the strong open Horn from the KIX. 

According to Losin there's a recording from the bowl in '82.  I saw him there on a double bill with Gil Evans around that time.  I was disappointed that Miles didn't sit in with Gil's band. (Nor Gil with Miles.)  If it was '82 I'd seen both of them previously and had liked them better: Gil in Paris in '78 and Miles in Montreal with the 2nd great quintet in '64 or '65. 

Edited by medjuck

2 hours ago, felser said:

Pass.  I keep trying his 80's stuff and keep coming away empty.

I ‘like’ a lot of 80’s Miles, but not enough to spin it terribly often (like hardly ever) — so I traded off practically all my 80’s and 90’s Miles when I moved to DC back in 2011.

Might have kept Aura, but I’m not even sure about that.  Still like Tutu and Amandla ok, but not enough to justify the shelf space for even them.

It’s all stuff I’ll be happy enough streaming somehow when I get the urge to listen to that sort of thing — about once a decade, at this point.

Decoy was a much more interesting album than might be remembered. That full Montreal concert interests me. Unissued studio material, probably not so much, unless maybe they have some un-Teo-ed stuff from Star People so we can contrast and compare. But I like Teo-ing, so the bar is high 

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Decoy was a much more interesting album than might be remembered. That full Montreal concert interests me. Unissued studio material, probably not so much, unless maybe they have some un-Teo-ed stuff from Star People so we can contrast and compare. But I like Teo-ing, so the bar is high 

The studio album Decoy was somehow a disappointment for me after the "Star People". The only "catcher" on it, that was played live also around 1985 was the keyboarders composition "Code M.D.", nice for it´s chords.....

Some 1981 studio material may be interesting. I like most the more "rough" band imediatly after his comeback, the band with Mike Stern, Bill Evans, Marcus Miller, Al Foster , especially at the beginning when Miles played a lot of open horn, a bit rusty maybe, but challenging. Later that year, from late summer on he played almost only muted and barely audible. From the Japan concert I barely can hear Miles. Maybe again he had contracted pneumonia....

1 hour ago, felser said:

+1

Yes, and no. I like Teo-ing too.

But, I sure has heck like the four-disc unedited Miles at Fillmore 1970 (Bootleg Series, Vol 3) a hell of a lot too!!

Teo’s version is great! — and the (much) larger context from which it was drawn is great too!

I'll buy it for sure, especially if there will be a decent amount of unheard studio music, but it's a great shame they didn't managed to get through the 70's period.

Miles got a really tight band in 1971, touring over a year with Jarrett and Bartz, but there is only 1 officialy released gig.
The mysterious 1972 year is caught only on a terrible "In Concert" album
There are tons of great quality bootlegs from 1973-75, but there are only few releases. It's crazy comparing to the amount of 1969-1970 music on market.

Not to mention unreleased 1975-1978 sessions (although I'm not sure they should see the daylight....)

On 8.6.2022 at 0:27 AM, barnaba.siegel said:

I'll buy it for sure, especially if there will be a decent amount of unheard studio music, but it's a great shame they didn't managed to get through the 70's period.

Miles got a really tight band in 1971, touring over a year with Jarrett and Bartz, but there is only 1 officialy released gig.
The mysterious 1972 year is caught only on a terrible "In Concert" album
There are tons of great quality bootlegs from 1973-75, but there are only few releases. It's crazy comparing to the amount of 1969-1970 music on market.

Not to mention unreleased 1975-1978 sessions (although I'm not sure they should see the daylight....)

Agreed, the 1971 band was great and sorry to say I was only 12 at that time and too young to see them when they did Vienna. But a friend of mine, who was 4 years older saw them and said they were great. 
Keith Jarrett.... from my listening aproaches of the wild stuff Keith did both on electric piano and organ, I had thought that this is THE Keith Jarrett and was disappointed when in 1975 he played only acoustic and solo and more in the ECM style....

On the other hand, I like the 1972 concert, it´s a live version of the stuff he did on "On the Corner" and is that different style he had then, more with some indian instruments as there was Badal Roy I think, and some Harakrischna or Balakrischna on an electric sitar I think. 

The year 1973 was just the beginning of how about the band with Dave Liebman, Al Foster, M´tume, Pete Cosey and Mike Henderson sounded until his semiretirement in late 1975. Fast funk tune at the beginning, a slower passage with Lieb on Flute "Ife", and some other that you also hear on Dark Magus, Agharta and Pangheea.  
It was the band that was in Viena at Stadthalle in November 1973. Miles was my idol then, the music of course, but as is the case with a 14 year old boy, you want to do everything your idol does: When I spotted that he drank a certain brand of beer on stage (Brau AG) I had to have also that beer instead of the usual "Schwechater" or "Gösser" here in Austria. I also wanted to have such big sunglasses and be "cool" or even "nasty"...., and I let my anyway kinky hair grove so it might look a bit like an "afro"....:D

I heard an unofficial tape of Miles the same year 1973 in Berlin, also a few days after Viena and it sounds very similar to Viena, same tunes..... 

Dark Magus from 1974 is the best presentation of the band with another idol of mine "Dave Liebman". 

I heard something about that 1978 session, but since Miles is not on tp I´m not really interested. I only saw some session photos and was shocket to see how fat Miles was on it. Maybe it was wrong medication for the hip and wrist ailments he had, and too much beer......when he got back in 1981 he again looked smart on stage....ds

Too bad Miles didn´t tour exactly during the time I would have "needed" it most, I mean from 1976-1980, when I was at hi school or early student with more leasure time to travel to spots....