Don Byas Mosaic set available for pre-order

jazzbo

49 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

I am afraid I was too optimistic. 😔

The package arrived yesterday, with a notice to pay VAT under a very odd procedure: the guy from FedEx left a bank current account number (without any bank account holder reference), written by hand on a piece of paper, so that I can make a bank transfer of €40-something to pay VAT. He also provided a phone number to send the bank transfer document via WhatsApp.

I wasn't at home when the parcel arrived, so I could not make any of the obvious questions. If I had not received the parcel with the set as well (still unopened from my side), I would have thought this was scam.

Are you sure it isn’t a scam? I got several email from FedEx with a direct link to their website where I payed the fee with PayPal, the procedure you described isn’t clear at all.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Are you sure it isn’t a scam? I got several email from FedEx with a direct link to their website where I payed the fee with PayPal, the procedure you described isn’t clear at all.

Thanks for the alert! Of course, I haven't sent the bank transfer yet. I had planned to make a call to that phone number to get the needed clarifications. No additional emails from FedEx yet. In the tracking feature of their website, the package is shown as "delivered" and the process closed. So strange! 

image.thumb.png.1cea8b1f638e291e809565ecf9f823ee.png

Edited by EKE BBB

Just now, EKE BBB said:

Thanks for the alert! Of course, I haven't sent the bank transfer yet. I had planned to make a call to that phone number to get the needed clarifications. No additional emails from FedEx yet. In the tracking feature of their website, the package is shown as the delivered and the process closed. So strange! 

Usually after paying I got a physical invoice in my mail box after two weeks. Strange you don’t have any email.

I had my bill from Fedex (ca. 35€) in the mailbox today, about 2 weeks after delivery of the box ... as usual. Also I hate that Mosaic are using Fedex, as they have no delivery options other than you have to be home (which luckily I was on that day ... but I've had a few ridiculous Fedex deliveries in the past year - they're basically operating without any of the usual service option, no depositing when I'm not there, no pick-up other than about 5 points in the entire country, all around airports or freight hubs ... no option if you don't drive, and even then that would be a hassle).

So far only played through semi-attentively the first two discs from the middle block (Rosenkrantz plus a bit of live material) - and loved what I heard.

Edited by king ubu

7 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Thanks for the alert! Of course, I haven't sent the bank transfer yet. I had planned to make a call to that phone number to get the needed clarifications. No additional emails from FedEx yet. In the tracking feature of their website, the package is shown as "delivered" and the process closed. So strange! 

Well, physical delivery and VAT payments are different things, no contradiction here. If you google that IBAN you will probably see if it belongs to FedEx, tax authorities or somebody else. 

Don't know how FedEx does it here, but DHL sends you an email with import declaration and payment link before the package is delivered. For this to work, Mosaic has to provide them with your email, which they probably do not! If Mosaic really gave a fuck had more resources they could actually arrange collecting VAT at the moment of purchase - this can be arranged in cooperation with couriers. This simplifies the process for the customer and there are no rip-off courier "processing" fees upon delivery of the goods. 

Anyway, I am getting my set from Jazz Messengers, shipped the same day I ordered it (which is today), good service as always.          

Edited by Д.Д.

20 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Well, physical delivery and VAT payments are different things, no contradiction here. If you google that IBAN you will probably see if it belongs to FedEx, tax authorities or somebody else. 

Don't know how FedEx does it here, but DHL sends you an email with import declaration and payment link before the package is delivered. For this to work, Mosaic has to provide them with your email, which they probably do not! If Mosaic really gave a fuck had more resources they could actually arrange collecting VAT at the moment of purchase - this can be arranged in cooperation with couriers. This simplifies the process for the customer and there are no rip-off courier "processing" fees upon delivery of the goods. 

Anyway, I am getting my set from Jazz Messengers, shipped the same day I ordered it (which is today), good service as always.          

another curse of Brexit ... I recently paid VAT twice  on ordering and to get DHL to deliver. It was darkroom materials from Dublin. Over a month later I'm still waiting to see if I'll get the second set of VAT back. 

20 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Clarified. VAT payed to FedEx. Last time I order directly from Mosaic.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

another curse of Brexit ... I recently paid VAT twice  on ordering and to get DHL to deliver. It was darkroom materials from Dublin. Over a month later I'm still waiting to see if I'll get the second set of VAT back. 

Surely in the case of the Byas set you pay VAT and handling charges in the EU and the UK, irrespective of Brexit?

Edited by sidewinder

There's an interesting tension between the booklet (where the sessions are listed in chronological order) and the discs (which are separated by licensing source: Savoy, Timme Rosenkrantz archive, other labels).  After I listen to the whole box (I just finished disc 2), I'm thinking of rearranging the discs to conform to strict chronological order, just to see if that gives a more satisfying or illuminating listen.

14 hours ago, mjzee said:

There's an interesting tension between the booklet (where the sessions are listed in chronological order) and the discs (which are separated by licensing source: Savoy, Timme Rosenkrantz archive, other labels).  After I listen to the whole box (I just finished disc 2), I'm thinking of rearranging the discs to conform to strict chronological order, just to see if that gives a more satisfying or illuminating listen.

Yes, I was a bit surprised in how they organized it.  I can certainly understand separating the Rosenkrantz material from the commercial recordings, particularly as the vast majority of the former are from mid-late 1944.   But why separate Savoy and other labels in the ordering?  

Edited by John L

The companies owning the rights are afraid of losing their corporate identity when material they own is intermingled with that of other companies. Mosaic had the same problem with the Lester Young /Count Basie box - they had to place all the SONY/BMG material on one separate disc. 

3 hours ago, John L said:

Yes, I was a bit surprised in how they organized it.  I can certainly understand separating the Rosenkrantz material from the commercial recordings, particularly as the vast majority of the former are from mid-late 1944.   But why separate Savoy and other labels in the ordering?  

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

The companies owning the rights are afraid of losing their corporate identity when material they own is intermingled with that of other companies. Mosaic had the same problem with the Lester Young /Count Basie box - they had to place all the SONY/BMG material on one separate disc. 

It’s possible Mosaic pays the licensor per disc.  It’s even possible the licensor presses their discs and ships them to Mosaic.

I believe someone said they had called Mosaic to place an order since it is showing as out of stock on the website. When you called were you able to place an order over the phone? I'm interested in the set and would like to get the discount that is available on the set. Any insight would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, Jazzcat28 said:

I believe someone said they had called Mosaic to place an order since it is showing as out of stock on the website. When you called were you able to place an order over the phone? I'm interested in the set and would like to get the discount that is available on the set. Any insight would be appreciated.

The website says:

We expect back in stock after the New Year
and we will offer at sale price for a limited time.

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/classic-don-byas-sessions/

So keep an eye on the website and order when the next batch becomes available.  Maybe create an id on the mosaic shop and sign up for email notifications...