EKE BBB

LPs that have never made it into CD

486 posts in this topic

On 17/10/2020 at 0:59 AM, felser said:

Not a masterpiece, but an interesting listen:

popsike.com - Archie Shepp and Philly Joe Jones The Lowlands French LP on  America - auction details

Yes, used to have the LP. I'd buy it on cd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Billy Mitchell - A Little Juicy

Mitchell's second album on Smash is one that is still waiting for cd-release. I'm not familiar with the record but with Thad Jones, Kenny Burrell and Richard Wyands offering support one cannot help but feeling it should be out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.10.2020 at 11:08 PM, Daniel A said:

Re Cal Tjader

 

I've only recently begun to discover Tjader. Can't believe how I could have dismissed him for so many years! I guess I thought he was kinda into the easy listening "fake" latin genre. I was mistaken...

 

39962150tx.jpg

As a West Coast fan I have several Fantasy albums with Cal Tjader. It was pure luck that I stumbled recently over a 10 CD box available at german 2001 for small money.

It contains 20 complete albums. Even considering that I have now a few duplicates nevertheless this box is worth it. Here are the listed album titles

- Tjader Plays Jazz

- Tjader Plays Mambo

-Mambo With Tjader

- The Dave Brubeck Trio with Cal Tjader

- Cal Tjader Quartet -

- Brubeck / Tjader - The Dave Brubeck Trio

- Latin Kick

- Cal Tjader Goes Latin -

- San Francisco Moods

- West Side Story

- Concert By The Sea Vol I

- Concert By The Sea Vol II

- Concert On Campus

- Demasado Caliente

- Cal Tjader plays - Mary Stalling sings

- The Cal Tjader - Stan Getz  Sextet

- Cal Tjader Plays Harold Arlen

- Cal Tjader / Anita O'Day

- Latino

- Cal Tjader plays the contemporary Music of Mexico & Brazil

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-3177840-1556498976-3184.jpeg.jpg

Jay Hoggard - Mystic Winds, Tropical Breezes. 

Was listening to this record just now, after almost two decades. This is very VERY good. Surprised it wasn't released on cd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late don't play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 10:35 AM, jazzcorner said:

39962150tx.jpg

As a West Coast fan I have several Fantasy albums with Cal Tjader. It was pure luck that I stumbled recently over a 10 CD box available at german 2001 for small money.

It contains 20 complete albums. Even considering that I have now a few duplicates nevertheless this box is worth it. Here are the listed album titles

- Tjader Plays Jazz

- Tjader Plays Mambo

-Mambo With Tjader

- The Dave Brubeck Trio with Cal Tjader

- Cal Tjader Quartet -

- Brubeck / Tjader - The Dave Brubeck Trio

- Latin Kick

- Cal Tjader Goes Latin -

- San Francisco Moods

- West Side Story

- Concert By The Sea Vol I

- Concert By The Sea Vol II

- Concert On Campus

- Demasado Caliente

- Cal Tjader plays - Mary Stalling sings

- The Cal Tjader - Stan Getz  Sextet

- Cal Tjader Plays Harold Arlen

- Cal Tjader / Anita O'Day

- Latino

- Cal Tjader plays the contemporary Music of Mexico & Brazil

 

I get emails from oldies.com about those 10-CD sets weekly.  How is the sound?  Are we talking cheap junk here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

has this been mentioned previously?

Not sure if this 1973 Montreux Jazz Festival recording has ever existed in the digital (CD) realm - Discogs lists no CD releases

Trio with Bob Cranshaw & Kenny Clarke. Hampton plays a lot of electric piano, maybe thats why it's been passed over?

Hawes Playin' In The Yard.jpg

Edited by romualdo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Re Cal Tjader 10 CD box

I get emails from oldies.com about those 10-CD sets weekly.  How is the sound?  Are we talking cheap junk here?

No complaints from my side.

Have also  the 10CD box with Horace Silver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, romualdo said:

has this been mentioned previously?

Not sure if this 1973 Montreux Jazz Festival recording has ever existed in the digital (CD) realm - Discogs lists no CD releases

Trio with Bob Cranshaw & Kenny Clarke. Hampton plays a lot of electric piano, maybe thats why it's been passed over?

Hawes Playin' In The Yard.jpg

This LP was paired with NORTHERN WINDOWS on this Fantasy 2fer: https://www.discogs.com/Hampton-Hawes-Northern-Windows-Plus/release/7440522

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9.12.2020 at 5:09 PM, GA Russell said:

I get emails from oldies.com about those 10-CD sets weekly.  How is the sound?  Are we talking cheap junk here?

This box does not contain anything that wasn't previously released on OJC or Verve CDs. Seems to be copied from these, sound is slighly inferior to them. But if you do not have any of it, it is a great bargain. I bought it for playing in the car.

According to US law it shouldn't be sold there. Cardboard slipcases, no liner notes, partly wrong credits (as on the original issues).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

However, one of Hampton's best, the solo album he did in Japan, has not been on CD, I think. 

 

R-2407952-1453698464-8642.jpeg.jpg

I've only ever heard vinyl rips. But, agree: a nice date!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

R-609434-1583009231-6315.jpeg.jpg

R-465861-1583503994-3556.jpeg.jpg

Both of the above are really good.

That's a coincidence, only this evening was I recommended the Ronnie album by Bev Stapleton, ex of this parish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This box does not contain anything that wasn't previously released on OJC or Verve CDs. Seems to be copied from these, sound is slighly inferior to them. But if you do not have any of it, it is a great bargain. I bought it for playing in the car.

According to US law it shouldn't be sold there. Cardboard slipcases, no liner notes, partly wrong credits (as on the original issues).

Thanks, Mike!

I wonder why CDs taken from CDs don't sound exactly like the originals.  Isn't that what the industry was afraid of?

13 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

No complaints from my side.

Have also  the 10CD box with Horace Silver.

Thanks, jc!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That's a coincidence, only this evening was I recommended the Ronnie album by Bev Stapleton, ex of this parish

Plenty of copies around, I think. Ronnie was hugely under-rated as a saxophonist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Pete La Roca’s ‘Turkish Woman at a Bath’

 

I know this has been released on cd but as far as I know never in a proper (or legit) way or did it? Anyway it’s up for release in March:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/YZMS-1055

not a lot of details yet but Tokuma mostly does a fine job in remastering. It has my interest.

Edited by Pim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pim said:

Pete La Roca’s ‘Turkish Woman at a Bath’

I know this has been released on cd but as far as I know never in a proper (or legit) way or did it? Anyway it’s up for release in March:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/YZMS-1055

not a lot of details yet but Tokuma mostly does a fine job in remastering. It has my interest.

Ironically, I just ordered a used LP of Turkish Women (but part of a bigger order so shipping cost wasn't really a factor).

Edited by ejp626

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pim said:

 

Pete La Roca’s ‘Turkish Woman at a Bath’

 

I know this has been released on cd but as far as I know never in a proper (or legit) way or did it? Anyway it’s up for release in March:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/YZMS-1055

not a lot of details yet but Tokuma mostly does a fine job in remastering. It has my interest.

I would expect that that 32 Jazz CD reissue in 1997 was legit.   Unless that had something to do with Muse having released it under Chick Corea's name as "Bliss" without proper clearance (thought I read that somewhere), and 32 Jazz put it out as part of their Muse rights purchase.  Really interesting album, regardless.   And a chance to hear John Gilmore (and Corea, for that matter) in a very different setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the sound won't be much different, it seems inherent in the recording itself. Coll album none-the-less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, felser said:

I would expect that that 32 Jazz CD reissue in 1997 was legit.   Unless that had something to do with Muse having released it under Chick Corea's name as "Bliss" without proper clearance (thought I read that somewhere), and 32 Jazz put it out as part of their Muse rights purchase.  Really interesting album, regardless.   And a chance to hear John Gilmore (and Corea, for that matter) in a very different setting.

I think I heard Pete LaRoca sued Muse for releasing that under Coreas name and with success. I assumed that 32 jazz indeed reissued it from their rights on the Muse catalog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pim said:

I think I heard Pete LaRoca sued Muse for releasing that under Coreas name and with success. I assumed that 32 jazz indeed reissued it from their rights on the Muse catalog. 

This of course puts us into Alan Douglas territory, which is always tough sledding from an ethical standpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, correct -- 32Jazz reissued it as part of their Muse catalog reissues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.