Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

'The Debut Records Story' (4CDs) will be doing its thing at my place this weekend. Nice supplement to the big Mingus set and dirt cheap courtesy of zweitausendeins.

I'm interested to hear about this one. How much of it does *not* duplicate the giant Mingus Debut box? I hesitated to get it because I wasn't sure there was much that I didn't already have on that one.

How is the Mingus Debut box, for that matter? I think that is the only major hole in my Mingus collection.

I like it. Debut was Mingus's own label (he operated it with Max Roach), so he had complete control over what he recorded there. He did some very interesting things. I'm particularly fond of the records he made with trombone choir. Mingus had a life-long fondness for trombones, and as an old trombonist, I sorta like that. It's a big box, though--12 cds worth! It's also an older box, so the remastering probably isn't as good as a more recent effort would be, but it sounds good to me, and it has one of those marvelous, big-format Fantasy-Prestige booklets.

Essential Mingus for the Mingus-o-phile ! :tup

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talking of Mingus, if you only ever made one Mingus purchase in your life you couldn't do much better than this bad boy;

B000003446.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I was listening to disc 4 the other evening, "Mingus at Antibes", what a great performance. Great the way 3 horns and no piano sound kinda like a mini-Big Band. :cool::cool::cool:

Some of the most soulful, maybe even groovy, playing by Dolphy as well. :D:D:D

Talking of Mingus, if you only ever made one Mingus purchase in your life you couldn't do much better than this bad boy;

I was listening to disc 4 the other evening, "Mingus at Antibes", what a great performance. Great the way 3 horns and no piano sound kinda like a mini-Big Band. :cool::cool::cool:

Some of the most soulful, maybe even groovy, playing by Dolphy as well. :D:D:D

Oh yeah, that one is absolutely essential, as is the Complete Columbia set put out a few years ago. "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" is to die for.

I agree with this statement! As much as I like the Mingus stuff on Columbia, Candid, and other labels, this Atlantic stuff is just the most soulful, swinging, masterful stuff he ever did. The essential Mingus purchase, IMO.

I agree with this statement! As much as I like the Mingus stuff on Columbia, Candid, and other labels, this Atlantic stuff is just the most soulful, swinging, masterful stuff he ever did. The essential Mingus purchase, IMO.

I third this sentiment. This box contains at least half of my favorite Mingus. This is the single Mingus item that means the most to me.

d61846476s7.jpg

Complete Bud Powell on Verve. Been working my way through this one again...and enjoying every blessed second!

Thanks to Lon for turning me onto this many moons ago...

I still have a big problem with this set, there's simply too much material that should have never been released, the playing is so poor. The best is unbelievably good, which makes condemning this set tricky. Sound is pretty good though and nice booklet.

I hear ya, there are definitely some tracks that should never have seen the light of day...however, I still find myself glad to be able to hear these, it helps to understand Bud's rather fractured state of mind. So I look at it in more of a "fly on the wall" perspective.

There are some really incredible tracks scattered throughout...