GA Russell

Aretha Franklin, RIP

108 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, felser said:

Also available on this 4CD box set on Rhino, along with some other crucial non-album cuts.  Beautiful set:

Image result for aretha franklin queen of soul box set

Excellent box set by Rhino .....

Back to the new thread aka "Songs That Always Make You Cry Whether You're Looking For It Or Not" ....:

R-1449342-1220567181.jpeg.jpg

Just heard that Aretha has died. She was one of my favourite soul singers in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

Very sad .... Aretha thank you for the music an R.I.P ....

R.I.P.

33582137gs.jpg

Sheet inserted in "ARETHA/LIVE AT FILLMORE WEST" [1971]

R.I.P., and thanks for the power and soul of your voice.

sigh....

A major loss...

The Queen is dead!

My favorite Aretha evening was when I attended her concert at NY Philharmonic Hall in October 1967. Went there with Cecil Taylor, another fan of her. We both obtained tickets from à mutual friend at Atlantic Records. She was at her very best.

Aretha showed up a few weeks later when I was back in Paris when she performed at the Olympia. Another great concert!

One of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. Rest in peace, my Queen of Soul.

Such a great artist.

This makes me very sad. Here's hoping her suffering wasn't too great. RIP

Aretha was also a class act. I remember her showing up at the March on Cancer in 1998 to offer support and a song or two. What a great, great artist she was. A foundational voice in American--world--music.

gregmo

Sad, sad day.  Truly one of the greatest voices in the history of American music.

Here she is in her prime, ripping it up at home at Cobo Arena in Detroit on "Aretha Franklin Day", Feb. 16 1968.  Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the presenters at this event.  Often forgotten now is Aretha's work (and, of course, the core work of her father) in the civil rights movement.  She also performed at MLK's funeral.

https://youtu.be/0L4Bonnw484

I was fortunate enough to see her when she was still close to being in her best voice, in a benefit concert in Feb. 1976 at Masonic Temple in Detroit.  It wasn't quite as ecstatic as the show in the clip, but it was pretty damn close.  My best friend's mother, who had lived near her and gone to school with Aretha and her siblings as a kid, took us backstage to meet her after the show, and she was wiped out but gracious and friendly with that famous smile.

Edited by Al in NYC

3 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

prostate - pancreatic - no diff!!!!!

If it kills you, no diff.

Women don't have a prostate. Pancreatic much more deadly.