What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

She's a sweet gal from near Austin, I've been hearing her from the start. Quite a talent!

Yes - a very talented singer, songwriter and musician in her own right. I never realized until last night that her instrument of choice is what she called an "Austin Mandolin" - it looks like a guitar, but has 8 strings. Maybe that's its real name? You would know, Lon.

1 minute ago, BFrank said:

Yes - a very talented singer, songwriter and musician in her own right. I never realized until last night that her instrument of choice is what she called an "Austin Mandolin" - it looks like a guitar, but has 8 strings. Maybe that's its real name? You would know, Lon.

430173598_10220504910726872_7468607765810491487_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd5e9f&_nc_ohc=FlvHkgyq9l0AX-LAQrI&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=00_AfCxgypFgpJkSTQx-g2H5Me5opZCqP9164EtZRoz8v-E1Q&oe=65E44C1B

That's an interesting instrument--I've seen her pictured with it before. It is similar to an 8 stringed mandolin, but in fact seems to have a tenor guitar neck and string length, so a sort of tenor guitar with twice as many strings, so a quasi guitar-mandolin. Perhaps it is built by an Austin luthier--there are many, I used to live a few blocks from one (Erlewine).

Last night

Simon Hanes, Anna Abondolo, Jon Starks & Ches Smith at The Stone at New School

Simon & Anna on electric basses. Dual drummers. Alternated first half of the set with one of them sometimes using an octave pedal. 45 minute set of 5 improvisations. Brilliant unique blistering music. 

nobody better than Ches Smith in this context. Force of Nature.

Simon is great and Anna is a young genius. I’d seen her twice on double bass but last night a whole other thing. Astounding young musician. She’s probably 24-25.  

will be back Friday and/or Saturday night

tonight Tim Berne with Gregg Belisle-Chi and Tom Rainey 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

4 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Missed Berne last night as I was a bit tired with an achy back but I’m at The Stone tonight

Simon Hanes, gabby fluke-mogul, Anthony Coleman & Billy Martin 

Let’s GO!!

Late change gabby couldn’t make it due to a travel issue and was replaced by Mat Maneri who took a cab from the airport after just flying in from New Orleans. Mind blowing incendiary set from the quartet with the great man playing as great or even better than ever. Impossible to convey the depth and gravity of the collectively improvised music I heard tonight. 

Lordy Lordy

Get Ready to Receive Yourself 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 2/29/2024 at 1:06 AM, jazzbo said:

That's an interesting instrument--I've seen her pictured with it before. It is similar to an 8 stringed mandolin, but in fact seems to have a tenor guitar neck and string length, so a sort of tenor guitar with twice as many strings, so a quasi guitar-mandolin. Perhaps it is built by an Austin luthier--there are many, I used to live a few blocks from one (Erlewine).

Can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it myself.

5 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Missed Berne last night as I was a bit tired with an achy back but I’m at The Stone tonight

Simon Hanes, gabby fluke-mogul, Anthony Coleman & Billy Martin 

Let’s GO!!

Seeing Berne in a couple weeks in a very unorthodox "venue". It's a small bookstore in an outer SF neighborhood. They regularly have music and book readings, but music-wise it tends to be local musicians. Looking forward to it!

They did have Kahil El’Zabar earlier this week, though. Which was also unusual.

Tim Berne Trio w/Tom Rainey, drums and Gregg Belisle-Chi, guitar

George Coleman Quartet at the Regattabar in Cambridge last night. Awesome. I can't figure out which octogenarian is more impressive, Coleman, Billy Harper, or Charles McPherson... Lord just let me get to 80 well enough to do anything competently...

Simon Spillett and Pete Long recreating the Jazz Couriers and Tubby Hayes on top form today, at the Spice of Life basement club Soho. Absolutely rammed, which surprised me for a Monday lunchtime gig. I arrived before 12.30 and took possibly the last seat, near the stage. Seems to attract a regular friendly crowd. Simon introduced a roaring hard bop version of Southern Suite part 2, which I had only previously heard in its cheesy version on the Jack Constanza album. 

The basement of the Spice of Life seemed larger than I remembered. Last visited in the ‘80s when it was a trendy place to go to find out where the warehouse parties were! Very good venue for acoustic jazz. 

This past Saturday I caught this:

Eternal Spirit: Vijay Iyer & Friends Celebrate The Music of Andrew Hill
Harlem Stage Gatehouse
New York, NY

Vijay Iyer - piano, music director
Nicole Mitchell - flute, alto flute
Mark Shim - tenor saxophone
Milena Casado - trumpet, flugelhorn
Yuhan Su - vibraphone
Devon Gates - bass
Reginald Workman - bass
Nasheet Waits - drums

Edited by relyles

6 hours ago, relyles said:

This past Saturday I caught this:

Eternal Spirit: Vijay Iyer & Friends Celebrate The Music of Andrew Hill
Harlem Stage Gatehouse
New York, NY

Vijay Iyer - piano, music director
Nicole Mitchell - flute, alto flute
Mark Shim - tenor saxophone
Milena Casado - trumpet, flugelhorn
Yuhan Su - vibraphone
Devon Gates - bass
Reginald Workman - bass
Nasheet Waits - drums

Good to see Reggie Workman in the band. 

I'm heading out early tomorrow morning so I may not be able to post... I am seeing Danilo Perez with John Patitucci & Adam Cruz at the Regattabar tomorrow night. This is my first show at the Regattabar since they reopened post-Covid. I wonder how much it has changed?

Last night at The Stone

Brian Marsella, Peter Evans & Nasheet Waits

Tonight at The Stone:

Marsella, Billy Martin, John Medeski & Cyro Baptista 

the amount of keyboard gear is awesome for this 75 person theatre! Big Leslie amp 10-12 feet from me. Medeski will be 7-8 feet from me and I’m in the second row.

If the weather doesn't suck (windstorm and/or snow possible, which might be a problem for me traveling from upland west), I want to see Marilyn Crispell and Michael Bisio in Kingston, NY (Lace Mill) on Sunday.

On 3/8/2024 at 5:48 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I'm heading out early tomorrow morning so I may not be able to post... I am seeing Danilo Perez with John Patitucci & Adam Cruz at the Regattabar tomorrow night. This is my first show at the Regattabar since they reopened post-Covid. I wonder how much it has changed?

The answer to "How much has the Regattabar changed?" is "A lot". The club itself is almost the same except that they moved the tables very far back from the performance space which has created a large empty space in front of the band. It's looks weird & it seems rather dumb as there must be at least another 20 seats they could fit into that empty space.

On the other hand, the Charles Hotel itself has changed quite a lot. The most dramatic change is that the two elevators that flanked the club's entrance are gone. Several bathrooms are moved/gone. A lot of the areas around the club are now closed off for events. It seems as if the hotel underwent a complete renovation during the Covid shutdown.

However, the biggest change was the club staff. There was only one waitress that was there before Covid. I used to know a lot of the staff there, if not by name than at least by familiarity.

All in all, I felt rather old last night. I guess at my age, I am old, but it really sunk in last night when I realized that I had been going to that club for almost 35 years. Many (most?) of the artists I saw there have passed away. Now the club is totally different. It's like the old Regattabar passed away too.

As for the show. Danilo Perez put on a wonderful performance. There was a mix of acoustic & electric jazz and it was very well integrated, with Perez playing a synth with his right hand while playing the acoustic piano with his left. The last 3 tunes of the set were dedicated to Wayne Shorter & the first tune, simply titled "Wayne", reminded me of late-period Pink Floyd. Perez created synth washes for Patitucci to play the upper strings of his electric bass in a sound that really had me thinking David Gilmore.

fhD01ei.jpeg

My View for the night:

OFnWMyT.jpeg

I'm heading to NYC later this week for my first visit since the late 90s. I'll be seeing Maria Schneider & her Orchestra at Birdland on Thursday & One For All with George Coleman at Smoke on Friday. We may hit Smalls one or both of these nights after these early sets. I'm really hoping to catch Jerome Sabbagh Thursday at Smalls but it depends on how the night goes.

I am really looking forward to this trip even if it's putting a pretty good dent in my wallet this month. :)

Just to avoid embarrassment tonight, it's "das Palast-Orchester" not "der Palast-Orchester" (Palast = Palace is male but Orchester is neutral and in such a combined noun the last word determines the gender ) ;)

Looking forward to seeing both Ari Brown and Edward Wilkerson for the first time on Thursday. Playing together with an unknown to me UK band at a venue that doesn't usually programme Jazz. All a bit unusual but two masters in London is not to be missed 

16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Looking forward to seeing both Ari Brown and Edward Wilkerson for the first time on Thursday. Playing together with an unknown to me UK band at a venue that doesn't usually programme Jazz. All a bit unusual but two masters in London is not to be missed 

Wilkerson especially as he rarely leaves Chicago

fwiw Michael Foster with strings this past Sunday was transformative

including Webb Crawford, Deyung Kim, Nava Dunkelman & Anna Abondolo

included Ellington, Strayhorn & Fred Anderson compositions to create a 30 minute suite that organically mixes radical freely improvised music with the compositions.

brilliant to the nth degree