Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the final 2 of the 3 coming in separate shipments that might arrive by today or tomorrow. Pure Getz, Fahey's The Voice Of The Turtle, or Stitt's Bitts are in the running. From the reports here I'm guessing one will be the Stitt. I actually kind of like the lottery aspect of this order. It's like Christmas in August not knowing exactly what I'll get from my wish list.

Huh? Oldies ships outside the US.

Don't know. They get shipped to me, I remove the jewel cases and just ship the contents. Makes for smaller packages and less postage. I get reimbursed, of course.

But do they pay extra for hot metallic pink envelopes?

:D

I'm not sure I want that representing me in another country..... :w

So far, out of about 40 discs ordered, I've received all but 1, a Joe Locke CD. The last few have come one at a time, making about 7 or 8 shipments total - glad I'm not paying shipping!

Some of the complaints in this thread seem a bit ridiculous to me. You can't complain about sawcuts when it's been clear from the start that what they're selling are cutouts. And very possibly the cuts are being done not at Oldies but at the Concord warehouse. Otherwise I'm very pleased with the deals - and many of the discs I purchased I don't think I've ever even seen at retail.

Some of the complaints in this thread seem a bit ridiculous to me. You can't complain about sawcuts when it's been clear from the start that what they're selling are cutouts.

Has that been clear from the start? I hadn't seen any info about it when I ordered; I only learnt about it later here in this thread. I can't see anything about it on their site, and the e-mail I got from them doesn't say anything about it either. Instead it says

"Don't be confused by the price, all CDs are

brand new and sealed in original factory shrink wrap."

I don't think "brand new" is a correct description when they have been intentionally damaged.

So far, out of about 40 discs ordered, I've received all but 1, a Joe Locke CD. The last few have come one at a time, making about 7 or 8 shipments total - glad I'm not paying shipping!

Some of the complaints in this thread seem a bit ridiculous to me. You can't complain about sawcuts when it's been clear from the start that what they're selling are cutouts. And very possibly the cuts are being done not at Oldies but at the Concord warehouse. Otherwise I'm very pleased with the deals - and many of the discs I purchased I don't think I've ever even seen at retail.

I ended up with a high fill rate too with just 1 missing out of 33 or so (this started so long ago the details are getting fuzzy). The Stitt arrived today! I don't think it was known whether these were to be cutouts at the time of ordering though. Having come across an earlier fear that these could be mp3 CDRs I was relieved to find out they were cutouts. :lol: And given the price I wasn't surprised that that were, even if that wasn't the case in glorious 2006 blowout sale. Only 2 out the order were sawed with such ferocity that it caused the all center ring teeth to break. (I have plenty of spare cases around to replace that myself.) As far as the saw marks it's easy enough to flip the disc around (and upside down if need be) to have non-murdered spines to look at. I'll leave my estate to deal with the heartache that they're worth less because of the savage cuts. :lol:

There were a number of items I purchased, that would have cost me some big bucks say through Amazon Marketplace. To me a small price to pay in order to get some hard to find releases.

There were a number of items I purchased, that would have cost me some big bucks say through Amazon Marketplace. To me a small price to pay in order to get some hard to find releases.

Yes! There's something very cool about seeing your purchase confirmation with the words "You saved $[hundreds] by ordering from us!"

I'm way too easy. I said I wouldn't order from oldies again. They credit my account for an incorrect shipping charge for a partial shipment. They offer 5% off one order if you have their newsletter e-mailed to you. I had fun doing searches here with great recommendations for soon to be deleted items. I ordered 16 more from the Fantasy sale.

I received all but the Al Haig Trio/Sextet. The invoice said that backordered items not charged to a credit card will not be fulfilled. But it sounds like people are receiving things in a trickle. Any idea if I will I get this ever or not?

I believe if it's not shipped within 30 days of the initial order, the order is canceled.

Edited by Tom 1960

They credit my account for an incorrect shipping charge

They charged me for shipping for all titles I ordered including the ones they cancelled and never sent me. I have sent several e-mails to them over a week about this, both to orders@oldies.com and webmaster@oldies.com. No reply whatsoever so far and no refund. I may write more about this if it isn't rectified soon.

They credit my account for an incorrect shipping charge

They charged me for shipping for all titles I ordered including the ones they cancelled and never sent me. I have sent several e-mails to them over a week about this, both to orders@oldies.com and webmaster@oldies.com. No reply whatsoever so far and no refund. I may write more about this if it isn't rectified soon.

Makes me glad I avoided the whole thing - this sucks. The shipping charges overseas were just ridiculous.

Well, I thought that $1.99 per CD (plus $4.99 per shipment) wasn't so bad, considering that if I buy an OOP CD from an Amazon marketplace seller, I have to pay $6.89 per CD, and the sale price was good to begin with. However, when they charge shipping for 18 CDs they have cancelled, it gets very bad. That's 18 * $1.99 = $35.82 they have overcharged, which isn't a negligible amount. When they then neither answer e-mails nor refund, it gets really, really bad. I will have to contact my credit card company and see what they can do.

Well, I thought that $1.99 per CD (plus $4.99 per shipment) wasn't so bad, considering that if I buy an OOP CD from an Amazon marketplace seller, I have to pay $6.89 per CD, and the sale price was good to begin with. However, when they charge shipping for 18 CDs they have cancelled, it gets very bad. That's 18 * $1.99 = $35.82 they have overcharged, which isn't a negligible amount. When they then neither answer e-mails nor refund, it gets really, really bad. I will have to contact my credit card company and see what they can do.

Why don't you contact Linda Goode. She's Oldies.com's Customer Service Manager; she recently corrected an overcharge on my card.

. . . my credit card has FINALLY been billed for the Stitt set . . . .

Now if it actually shows up that will be even better.

That DOES kinda make the whole credit-card-billing thing go down a bit better. :rolleyes:

Finally got the Stitt box in today's mail. I guess for less than $10 it is still worth the hassle I went through (i.e. harrassment from RonS, not Oldie's issues).

Here's another thing I don't understand. So, it seems like titles that get taken out of the sale don't get deleted from Oldies. Instead, if a title gets taken out of the sale they just hike the price on that title back to the regular price.

My question is: how does this make any sense? I thought their rationale here is that they are selling deleted OJC stock until it is completely gone. If the stock is gone, why are they showing it as available? Is the idea just that they know that virtually none of this stuff will sell even 1 copy at the regular price, so hiking the price is as good as marking it as unavailable? If that's the case, that sounds like one hell of a dumb online storefront system they have...