Blue Note Deletion email from True Blue/Mosaic

jazzbo

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should probably pick up the Chet Baker Sextet. Never heard that one.

It's good. And as a bonus it has a 4-tune Bo Zieff arranged session with pretty special line-up (t, frh, bcl, bsn, cello, b).

But is the Zieff material alone reason enough to get it? I already have the Sextet material on the expanded Chet Baker Big Band CD.

Yeah, the 70s all over again, but we've also been spoiled by the CD reissue boom. The upside, in this case, is that it's much easier to "find" oop CDs (or downloads) than ever before.

Yep. No need to buy cassettes by the case any more.

Hell, no real need to buy blanks by the spindle either.

Alright, I own about 2/3 of these already, and I'm not a completist. How essential are the following titles within that artist's body of BN work? Or asked differently, which of the following would you put in your favorite 100 BN titles? Any of them?

Adderley, Cannonball Takes Charge

Montgomery, Finger Pickin'

Silver, Serenade to a Soul Sister, Silver's Serenade

Smith, Softly as a Summer Breeze, Straight Life

Turrentine, Bluish Bag

Serious question, not that I would have the money: how much would it cost to buy the entire Blue Note catalog off these idiots? I have a hunch that someone competent could still break even selling Blue Note material if you combine CDs and downloads.

Bertrand.

Serious question, not that I would have the money: how much would it cost to buy the entire Blue Note catalog off these idiots? I have a hunch that someone competent could still break even selling Blue Note material if you combine CDs and downloads.

Bertrand.

Well, the initial sale of UA/Liberty to EMI in 1979 was about $9 million in today's dollars. Of course, they were buying a company that had debts of about $93 million in today's dollars...

Alright, I own about 2/3 of these already, and I'm not a completist. How essential are the following titles within that artist's body of BN work? Or asked differently, which of the following would you put in your favorite 100 BN titles? Any of them?

Turrentine, Bluish Bag

Silver's Serenade :tup

I should probably pick up the Chet Baker Sextet. Never heard that one.

It's good. And as a bonus it has a 4-tune Bo Zieff arranged session with pretty special line-up (t, frh, bcl, bsn, cello, b).

But is the Zieff material alone reason enough to get it? I already have the Sextet material on the expanded Chet Baker Big Band CD.

Hard to say... I have the old Big Band CD, too (never got the remaster of that one)... I'd say if you really like this kind of experimental stuff AND if the price is right, get it.

The Cannonball is awesome, one of my favorites among his pre-Yusef records. Note sure if I'd call it "essential", but it's always a very pleasant surprise.

The Silvers are nice - not essential within his body of work.

Turrentine, Bluish Bag

Jimmy Smith - Six Views - if you like baritone sax, get that disc, very cool.

Stanley Turrentine - A Bluish Bag. That disc (and it's sister album Return Of The Prodigal Son) both contain previously unreleased material, so I'd get 'em.

I wouldn't like to be without 'Serenade To A Soul Sister' and 'Bluish Bag'

me either. Thankfully, I already own both of those. smile.gif

A deletion of dozens of Blue Note titles took place at the beginning of May.

True Blue Music managed to secure a quantity of many of these titles, but that stock is limited.

Here's what we still have available, although please understand that supplies are low.

This seems to indicate that additional titles were deleted as well. Any idea which they were?

FYI Introducing Kenny Burrell can be had at an impressive price on Amazon and Ebay-- about $7.50 sealed, not bad for a 2xCD Connoisseur.

The listing on Amazon must be messed up. The listing indicates it's a single disc with only 4 songs listed.

Can't say I know what this would be, so I assume I'm getting what I think I am. We'll see!

FYI Introducing Kenny Burrell can be had at an impressive price on Amazon and Ebay-- about $7.50 sealed, not bad for a 2xCD Connoisseur.

The listing on Amazon must be messed up. The listing indicates it's a single disc with only 4 songs listed.

Can't say I know what this would be, so I assume I'm getting what I think I am. We'll see!

My order shipped this morning. $10.39, includes tax.

My order shipped this morning. $10.39, includes tax.

You're not going to regret it a single bit. That's a FANTASTIC collection of music on 2 discs.

This is the first Blue Note I bought a second copy of - just in case the first one will corrode ... I'd hate to be without these recordings. JPC in Germany is selling this one cheaply.

How's the King Cole Box? 

The Complete Capitol Transcription Session Of The King Cole Trio (3 CDs) $38.98

I'm tempted by this one, although I really can't afford it right now. It's strictly instrumental, isn't it?