Least Favorite Mosaic

vibes

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome!

FWIW, I think that Gerald did this kind of thing about as well as it could be done, and I enjoy it in "take it for what it is" mode. Compare his work in this vein to the various Buddy Rich pop covers of the same time and see what you think. Herman's work in this area ranged from preety good to godawful. Basie's was, well, Basie - ANY tune worked with that band by then to one degree or another. Ellington's was, well, Ellington - the tunes might have been pop but that just added ANOTHER layer of subtext to an already mountainous layer of subtext. When Don Ellis did the occasional pop cover, it was clearly done to search and destroy. Kenton in the late 60s was regularly getting it in the back door from Capitol, so don't EVEN go there. And by the time the 70s rolled around/in Maynard's band was sort of redefining the genre, so the chapter ends there afaic. So Gerald's work, for what it is, mind you, holds up pretty nicely if you can take it for/as what it is, I think. It was the times, and they were a-changin'. (sorry.....)

OTOH - LOTS of Pacific Jazz/World Pacific artists were doing the pop cover thing REALLY heavily (Bud Shank even had a "hit" w/ a version of "Michelle") so who knows? Either way, though, it was "in the air" all around, or so it seems, and some players seemed to come by it more honestly than others.

...Basie's was, well, Basie - ANY tune worked with that band by then to one degree or another. Ellington's was, well, Ellington - the tunes might have been pop but that just added ANOTHER layer of subtext to an already mountainous layer of subtext...

Basie's "Girl From Ipanema" (which I think could be considered a "pop" tune because of success, rather then origin) is real fun!

Then, on the Duke Reprise set, there are several interesting covers - the highlight being a highly satirical take on Dylan's "Blowing in the Wind". There are a few Beatles tunes there, too.

ubu

With regard to Gerald Wilson recording the commercial stuff on 'California Soul' I think I read somewhere (might even have been in the Mosaic booklet) that it was hearing some of these tunes played on a gramaphone by his daughter that influenced him to do the album of covers. The resulting album is not without faults but for me at least is an endearing 'period piece'.

As for the Woody Shaw - I have to say that this is one of my very favourite Mosaics. It was one of the first I bought from them and gets lots of airplay. A hugely vital collection of some of Woody's finest work.

A second thumbs up on the Woody Shaw set. I agree there is a bit of a 70s vibe to it, but not at all in an overbearing way. Perhaps it is because this is the only music I really had a chance to listen to contemporaneously, but I really love this set. It is mostly original music (by Shaw and his bandmates) and I find it to be quite memorable. The playing is also first rate and Woody had some nice sidemen (Gary Bartz, Carter Jefferson, Mulgrew Miller and Joe Henderson, among others). The intro by Cuscuna is also quite moving.

Easily in my top three Mosaics (and I own a bunch). Give it a second chance :tup

Eric

Edited by Eric

• 1 year later...

it's funny... I printed out and read the entire thread noting that it was started in 2003 and stopped in Mar 2004. I'm curious as to if/how and why people's minds may have changed on sets they either didn't like and now do or vice versa...

Time often affects our perspective (on listening and life...:) but I've got to give my two cents....

I have to say my least favorite Mosaics...

Hmmm...

1. (With a bullet and climbing... As you ALL know by now..) Dinah Washington set... I really think they knew they should have left this in the can....

2. Probably Columbia Swing Sessions... just didn't work for me....

3. Sarah Vaughn.... WAY too uneven....

4. I'm still reserving judgement on the Johnny Hodges set... (only gave it 1 spin.... and didn't do too much for me..)

it's interesting to note that 1 year ago (or so....) there was quite the split view on the Bud Shank set... (I love it...) and one writer hated the Elvin set.... [To each his own.... but :huh: I can't see how you can diss' that set.... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

There's quite a few sets which have come out since this thread ended... and no earlier posts mention any of the Selects...

So is this thread worth updating???? :party::party::D

Edited by tranemonk

I've been buying Mosaics since the very beginning, but have been very selective, pretty much only buying things I was sure I would like.

That being said, the one that most disappointed me was The Complete Pacific Jazz Small Group Recordings of Art Pepper (for Mosiac geeks, my set is number 2523). Lots of Chet Baker on this as well, but in my opinion, both men have played better elsewhere. Still, I plan on keeping it, after having held onto it for all these years.

The last Mosaic I bought was the Weston select. No disappointment there.

Edited by Kalo

I know I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I've listened twice to the Elvin Jones set and it's just not working for me. Not sure I can put my finger on why that is, although I think the fact that a much of it is done sans piano probably has something to do with it. I'm not giving up on this, but so far I have to say I was expecting more than its been able to deliver.

Up over and out.

I know I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I've listened twice to the Elvin Jones set and it's just not working for me.  Not sure I can put my finger on why that is, although I think the fact that a much of it is done sans piano probably has something to do with it.  I'm not giving up on this, but so far I have to say I was expecting more than its been able to deliver.

My comment is not intended as a dig against you, man. But, you gotta listen to the Elvin Jones set more than just twice. The more you listen, the better it gets.

I'm a little disappointed in some of the "Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions" and I hated the liner notes. But that unreleased Ruby Breaff session with Pee Wee Russell is so good that it's worth the price of the set. (Well maybe not.) I'm also not nuts about all of the HRS sessions but I'd probably be one of the people complaining if the set wasn't complete.

And though this may be heresy I probably could have survived with a 2 disc best of Bix/Tram or

Venuti/Lang.

In terms of other sets people have listed: I love every little bit of the Candid Mingus and even the Benedetti/Bird.

... the one that most disappointed me was The Complete Pacific Jazz Small Group Recordings of Art Pepper (for Mosiac geeks, my set is number 2523). Lots of Chet Baker on this as well, but in my opinion, both men have played better elsewhere.

I sold mine three years ago .....

that's what one of the (many) reasons I like it...I feel like I get a chance tto hear each instrument...

To each his own... but did you like Elvin when he was with "Trane and McCoy?

:huh:

......., although I think the fact that a much of it is done sans piano probably has something to do with it.  I'm not giving up on this, but so far I have to say I was expecting more than its been able to deliver.

Up over and out.

Oh yeah. The classic quartet is one of my favorite aggregations, at least until they went ditzy towards the end. Being the incredibly strong player he is, McCoy just rounds things out for me. I hear what you're saying about being able to listen to the instruments if there isn't a piano present, but it just leaves too much space for me. The one thing I have enjoyed is the rather massive dose of Joe Farrell, who, IMO, is three kinds of under... underrated, underrecorded and underappreciated.

Like I said, I'm not giving up.

Up over and out.

... the one that most disappointed me was The Complete Pacific Jazz Small Group Recordings of Art Pepper (for Mosiac geeks, my set is number 2523). Lots of Chet Baker on this as well, but in my opinion, both men have played better elsewhere.

I sold mine three years ago .....

I won't sell mine, but I see what you mean. Definitely not the finest of either of the main performers, but I assume when Mosaic did that box the music was difficult to find. Also there's a nice booklet (as usual).

There are quite a few Mosaics I'm not very excited about, but one I really hate is the Lou Donaldson set. The music's good to great, but the sound is awful; maximized as hell, hardly any dynamics, everything's just very, very LOUD. An earbleeder if ever I've heard one. Why some engineers seem to think maximizing sound levels/using compression and thus taking life out of music is the way to remaster recordings is beyond me. A great big :tdown

And I've been working myself into a mood to purchase the Lou Donaldson box.  :(

Don't let me stop you, the music comes first. It's just that I can't enjoy this set for the reasons mentioned above, neither on my high-end system nor on my low-fi Sony boombox.

There are quite a few Mosaics I'm not very excited about, but one I really hate is the Lou Donaldson set. The music's good to great, but the sound is awful; maximized as hell, hardly any dynamics, everything's just very, very LOUD. An earbleeder if ever I've heard one. Why some engineers seem to think maximizing sound levels/using compression and thus taking life out of music is the way to remaster recordings is beyond me. A great big :tdown

What do you think about the Lee Morgan box? Not a winner either (concerning the sound, of course)?!

• 3 years later...

A second thumbs up on the Woody Shaw set. I agree there is a bit of a 70s vibe to it, but not at all in an overbearing way. Perhaps it is because this is the only music I really had a chance to listen to contemporaneously, but I really love this set. It is mostly original music (by Shaw and his bandmates) and I find it to be quite memorable. The playing is also first rate and Woody had some nice sidemen (Gary Bartz, Carter Jefferson, Mulgrew Miller and Joe Henderson, among others). The intro by Cuscuna is also quite moving.

Easily in my top three Mosaics (and I own a bunch). Give it a second chance :tup

Eric

I am really having trouble getting into this Woody Shaw set. I got it on ebay recently, and while I occasionally find my foot tapping, the musicians are obviously talented, and it is undeniably funky at times, overall it is just wicked corny to my ears. I'm mid-first listen, so maybe it will improve, but I'm not thrilled.

Eric

I am really having trouble getting into this Woody Shaw set. I got it on ebay recently, and while I occasionally find my foot tapping, the musicians are obviously talented, and it is undeniably funky at times, overall it is just wicked corny to my ears. I'm mid-first listen, so maybe it will improve, but I'm not thrilled.

more discussion of this...

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36922

I love Bobby Hackett and purchased the set before I found a significant source of sound samples for all/most of the set. The sound samples not only didn't do it for me, they filled me with an immediate sense of regret. I ended up trading it to Mosaic with the balance of cash to pick up the Farmer/Golson Jazztet which turned out to be an awesome move.