Cedar Walton, RIP

Mark Stryker

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R.I.P. ...... Words almost fail me this time ... Cedar Walton certainly is the one jazz musician I saw perform the most often, and the only one I ever asked to sign an album - the first Eastern Rebellion LP. It was the edition with Bob Berg, Walton, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins. Next time was with Ralph Moore, David Williams, and Higgins; then in a trio with Bibi Rovère and a drummer I can't recall at this moment; and the last opportunity was on the 2011 tour with Javon Jackson. He wrote such great and lovely tunes, so much a prototype of what good jazz tunes should be, always was in good spirits on stage, and always played at his best. What a loss .... I will miss him. He appeared a liitle fragile on that last tour, so I am not really surprised, but still ... Thanks for the music, which I really love.

That Walton/Jones/Higgins trio had such a natural groove, I can still hear with my inner ear ...

I missed my only opportunity to see Cedar Walton in 2010 and have regretted it ever since. He was a giant. For anyone interested, you can stream or download a Cedar Walton concert from NPR that features Lew Tabackin, Curtis Fuller, David Williams and Joe Farnsworth. Rest in peace, Mr. Walton, and thank you for the music.

Edited by Justin V

the first Eastern Rebellion LP. It was the edition with Bob Berg, Walton, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins.

As far as I know the first Eastern Rebellion album was the one with George Coleman, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins; the tracks on the album were "Bolivia", "Naima", "5/4 Thing", "Bittersweet" and "Mode for Joe". Bob Berg came later.

MI0001765767.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by J.A.W.

the first Eastern Rebellion LP. It was the edition with Bob Berg, Walton, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins.

As far as I know the first Eastern Rebellion album was the one with George Coleman, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins; the tracks on the album were "Bolivia", "Naima", "5/4 Thing", "Bittersweet" and "Mode for Joe". Bob Berg came later.

Discographically, you're correct - it's just that for me, personally, the band as such started after Berg joined in. Not to say anything against Clifford Jordan or Coleman, I would have loved to see them perform with Walton. It's just that my memories overwhelmed me ... I saw Coleman with his own band around that time. Never had an opportunity to see Jordan.

Luckily I was able to find an affordable copy of his second Astor Place CD, Roots", a moment ago. Always wanted this one, but whenever I looked for it prices were way up high. Prices of some rarer items will now go through the roof ...

Edited by mikeweil

Discographically, you're correct - it's just that for me, personally, the band as such started after Berg joined in. Not to say anything against Jordan, I would have loved to see him perform. It's just that my memories overwhelmed me ...

Sadly, Berg is also gone now (way before his time). A reminder of the importance of acting when you feel the yen to catch these guys live. I remember going to see Miles at the (then) JVC Jazz Festival in NYC. I briefly had second thoughts and my mom reminded me that "you never know how long these folks are going to be around..." Smart lady. RIP Cedar.

R.I.P. ...... Words almost fail me this time ...

My reaction too. Totally shocked and gutted by this news - really wanted to see Cedar play at least one more time but alas missed the most recent UK gigs. Saw him quite a few times over the years and got to chat with him a couple of times too, even made him some popcorn at a club once (!) Caught him a few times at Ronnies with the Walton/Williams/Higgins lineup (plus addition of Bob Berg/Ralph Moore in Eastern Rebellion) and then in LA with both Jackie McLean and George Coleman, on separate occasions. Also solo recital and with his trio in Canada. Such a consistent and capable composer/player, a huge loss to jazz. RIP :(

That 'Roots' CD is really good - glad I was able to snag a copy when I did.

Edited by sidewinder

I'd seen him play a few times, but spotted him one night at Kimballs, an old club in San Francisco. He was just hanging out, as near as I could tell. I was still kind of a kid. I cautiously approached: "Mr. Walton...?" "It's Cedar, just like the tree". Great, open personality. Always loved his music. I tried to express this without being totally fawning. He was impressively humble. Just an immediately likeable guy. Thanks for all you left us.

Remember one performance at Ronnie Scotts where he was part of a double bill with Prof. Irwin Corey. Funny as Corey was, during the 'question time' bit of his set, one member of the audience asked him how long he was going to continue as they had paid first and foremost to hear Cedar Walton. He was really on form that night.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how many albums/recordings he was on over the years?

I'll take a really wild guess and say 250 or perhaps 300? (both totally wild guesses), but would love to know.

OK, these two obits seem to think it's around 100 -- but that seems really low to me -- surely it's at least 150. Anyone beg to differ?

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2013/08/19/rip-cedar-walton

and

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/news-mainmenu-139/70-2013/12817-jazz-breaking-news-cedar-walton-1934-2013

Edited by Rooster_Ties

As many times as I've seen Cedar live, I never thought to ask for his autograph. I guess he's another of those guys I just figured I'd ask the next time he came through town. I never realized he was already 79. Man, how time flies. I think he was probably around 60 the first time I saw him and I remember thinking how young he looked.

BTW, on CD, that Eastern Rebellion date with George Coleman could also be found on the Impulse! label.

I have been getting more & more bummed out these past few years as this older generation dies out. I guess I still have their music.

Terrible news. I was unaware he was in poor health. Saw him live a few times, and thankfully have the vast majority of his recordings as leader or sideman.

Cedar was one of my 5 or 6 favorite living jazz pianists. Losing Mulgrew Miller so recently, another of my favorites, makes it seem as if

many of the jazz giants are leaving us far too soon.

I have several times, but never heard back if this allowed....until I am told it's not.

A bunch of Cedar Walton uploads on dimeadozen.

We've all heard this song before, but If this is copyrighted material, posting a link to it is against forum rules. If it is copyrighted material, please delete your post, BT.

I have several times, but never heard back if this allowed....until I am told it's not.

A bunch of Cedar Walton uploads on dimeadozen.

We've all heard this song before, but If this is copyrighted material, posting a link to it is against forum rules.

It's live recordings. They never allow anything copyrighted on dimeadozen, and if a musician asks, they remove it.

My question was more about posting links to anything that is downloadable. I wouldn't wast anyone's time asking about anything copyrighted.