Sonny Clark complete Blue Note announced.

Send him to Hoffman!!!!!

On a serious note, though - I wonder what the implications are of this set being available for sale immediately at the time of announcement. No pre-ordering necessary, or "will we or won't we" drama.

I hope it's a good sign of economic confidence and a harbinger of things to come.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Send him to Hoffman!!!!!

On a serious note, though - I wonder what the implications are of this set being available for sale immediately at the time of announcement. No pre-ordering necessary, or "will we or won't we" drama.

I hope it's a good sign of economic confidence and a harbinger of things to come.

Possibly a quicker turnaround at the pressing plant 'cause of slowing demand.

Oh, we wicked mortals!  Getting excited about tracking numbers, paroxysms of joy as we discover that big square box at the front door, eagerly cutting the packing tape and pulling out the box, admiring the box, getting the cellophane off a jewel case, putting on a cd, cranking up the volume, settling into a comfortable chair, possibly pouring a bourbon and water, toking up a bit, and listening while checking out the deluxe, large booklet full of photographs...  We're just bad.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

6 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Hoffman is good for the classifieds. 

Agreed, they are much much more active in buying jazz CD's there, and those who have bought CD's from me have been pleasant and responsible.  As far as the discussion threads there, I find them chaotic and not nearly as knowledgeable as here and much more impersonal, though I am admittedly basing that on a small sample, as I have not really participated much there beyond getting to my 50 posts to access the classifieds.  My lasting impression is posting that I did not much like those bad R.E.M. albums from 'Monster' to 'Around the Sun', and being told that I was basically an idiot to hold that opinion, with no explanation of why that was.  That was enough to turn me off.  Everything else over there just feels disjointed to me, you post a comment or even a thread, and it just goes off into the ether somewhere, with no interaction.

Edited by felser

I've just spent a happy hour or so browsing that thread and the Jazz Beat thread.

My experience of SHB is that its jazz threads are just endless repeats of people wowsering of whatever new double/ultra deluxe hereditary audiophilac version of Kind of Blue has been released in the last week. But those two are genuinely good threads. Lots of interesting records I had not been aware of being flagged, with a nice mix of ancient and modern.

The thing is, they don't allow overt mentions of other sites over there. So if somebody from here went over there and was all like, hey go over to Organissimo, I like it better over there, post after post, the gortbots over there would scrub that shit with laser speed.

We don't work it like that here, but honestly, I consider such repeated behavior to be pretty callous and lowlife. It's an affront to the owner, who keep in mind is not some "big name" engineer with a cult following, but who is instead an honest hard-working musician.

Go where you like, but be where you are when you are there. If you don't want to be here, don't be here. 

I guess some people's mamas never taught them basic manners.

Now, back to Sonny Clark. 

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

The thing is, they don't allow overt mentions of other sites over there. So if somebody from here went over there and was all like, hey go over to Organissimo, I like it better over there, post after post, the gortbots over there would scrub that shit with laser speed.

We don't work it like that here, but honestly, I consider such repeated behavior to be pretty callous and lowlife. It's an affront to the owner, who keep in mind is not some "big name" engineer with a cult following, but who is instead an honest hard-working musician.

Go where you like, but be where you are when you are there. If you don't want to be here, don't be here. 

I guess some people's mamas never taught them basic manners.

Now, back to Sonny Clark. 

👍

Sometimes I think, staying on topic may be too hard for many members. No matter what forum they post on.

I'm looking forward to getting the set.  (My order still on hold, which I think means they haven't got to it yet).  I've been meaning to revisit my Sonny Clarke albums so it will be nice to do that with the remasters.  Meanwhile I will have a little Sonny Clark festival here and listen to some Clark records not included on the set such as the Grant Green stuff and all those sideman Blue Note albums such as Minor Move with Tina Brooks.

Hey, got an email just now saying they are processing the order.  Yay!

At the risk of giving ass of the bass conniptions, I'll report that I have a tracking number!

I mean dang this has got to be just about the premier place in the known universe to get down and discuss Mosaic.  The only place, probably.  And here they come.  What do they call them?  Muggles - folks who don't understand the magic, to carp and cast aspersions!

6 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

At the risk of giving ass of the bass conniptions... 

Ok. I get returning the favor.

But now that the favor has been returned, let's call it Game Over.

And as such, any further such brushback posts will be deleted, in whole, and with no further explanation.

Now, play nice. 

I was pleasantly surprised to have the new Mosaic Sonny Clark box set arrive this morning. I was not expecting it so soon since I had not received an e-mail from Mosaic stating it had shipped. I received an email from Mosaic a week ago informing me that my order was being processed but it did not have any shipping or tracking information. 

Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to start listening to it. I am so backed up on listening to my recent music purchases: Grateful Dead Here Comes Sunshine 73 (17 CD) box set, Frank Zappa Funky Nothingness (3 CD), Charles Mingus Changes Complete 1970s Atlantic Studio Recordings (7 CD) box set, Sun Ra Jazz in Silhouette: Expanded Edition (2 lp), etc. 

Edited by pglbook

The set arrived today and I am just starting to listen to it.  The sound is very good.  I got into Sonny Clark about 30 years ago and listened to and collected much of his output then.  I've returned to some of it again over the years but not that much.  This time round the music is still the same but I have come along 30 years as a listener.  So it's different and very enjoyable.

Received my set a few days ago and experienced a personal first — booklet #0001! I know I ordered later than others, so it's just further validation that they send them out in random order these days. The music is of course terrific and the sound, as others have said, is very good. Glad to have it.