Sonny Clark complete Blue Note announced.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose Mosaic is only licensing these recordings for distribution via CD but wouldn't it be great if they issued high res versions as downloads!  It's kind of a shame that everything has to get filtered through the limitations of the CD format when better exists and it wouldn't be all that difficult for Mosaic to produce a hi-res version, would it?

this also came with my Sonny Clark email - appears that they're finally flicking Asendia (#$%@*) for all those non stateside orders - bonus for us here in Australia

International Shipping

We've been working with our fulfillment center to streamline international delivery and have contracted with FedEx International Connect Plus. This will provide immediate tracking and dramatically decrease the shipping time for delivery. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

The Quintets album is one I don't have in this bunch. Japan only for all prior releases which is interesting. Why is that? Does anyone know? Also titled Cool Struttin' Vol 2. Kind of an oddity it seems. 

You probably don't need the Quintets album. I figured out that I don't.

Two of the five tracks were included as bonus tracks on the RVG Cool Struttin' CD. The other three appear on the BN Conn CD My Conception.

Edited by T.D.

9 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Two of the five tracks were included as bonus tracks on the RVG Cool Struttin' CD. The other three appear on the BN Conn CD My Conception.

Hey, whaddya know, I have those with all five bonus tracks!  This is a little bit like the Tina Brooks album, Street Singer, issued in Japan, all of which ended up on Jackie's Bag.

Many may disagree, but I have a feeling that Sonny Clark's Blue Note recordings were not the pinnacle of his career. Of course, they are not bad things, and I like them, but I personally prefer the trio recordings on the Time label and the private recordings made when he was much younger (more Bud-ish). In terms of Blue Note recordings, his solo on "Deep Night" in Cool Struttin' is really great.

Edited by mhatta

17 hours ago, Brad said:

Do you use hearing aids.  They make all the difference. 

I do, and it is an improvement, but not the same as before, of course. At least I cannot afford the high end models, and what I want is not available anywhere. A high end multi-band equalizer would serve me better.

Edited by mikeweil

10 hours ago, T.D. said:

ok, I have those then. Sweet! I’ll pass on this set then. 

9 hours ago, mhatta said:

Many may disagree, but I have a feeling that Sonny Clark's Blue Note recordings were not the pinnacle of his career. Of course, they are not bad things, and I like them, but I personally prefer the trio recordings on the Time label and the private recordings made when he was much younger (more Bud-ish). In terms of Blue Note recordings, his solo on "Deep Night" in Cool Struttin' is really great.

I agree with this post too. I dig that Time album and always thought he does sound a bit Bud-ish on this one.

10 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Hey, whaddya know, I have those with all five bonus tracks!  This is a little bit like the Tina Brooks album, Street Singer, issued in Japan, all of which ended up on Jackie's Bag.

23 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

ok, I have those then. Sweet! I’ll pass on this set then. 

There was an earlier thread just after the Sonny Clark set was first announced, which I'm too lazy to search for.

Chuck (I believe) pointed out that the new Mosaic contains no previously unreleased tracks, and that everything is available on fairly widely released CDs (I think Standards, with old trio material, is currently hardest to find).

1 minute ago, T.D. said:

There was an earlier thread just after the Sonny Clark set was first announced, which I'm too lazy to search for.

Chuck (I believe) pointed out that the new Mosaic contains no previously unreleased tracks, and that everything is available on fairly widely released CDs (I think Standards, with old trio material, is currently hardest to find).

I picked up Standards a couple of years ago and it wasn’t easy to find then. Kind of a weird choice for Mosaic but it’s their business. Glad some are preordering. 

8 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I picked up Standards a couple of years ago and it wasn’t easy to find then. Kind of a weird choice for Mosaic but it’s their business. Glad some are preordering. 

The "why does Mosaic no longer do vinyl?" question has been discussed to death on various interminable hand-wringing Mosaic threads, but...🤨

If this set was released on vinyl it'd sell like hotcakes and could be priced at bubble-like levels. 🤣

I had the Japanese vinyl "Cool Struttin' Vol. 2."  It works very well as an album.

52 minutes ago, T.D. said:

If this set was released on vinyl it'd sell like hotcakes and could be priced at bubble-like levels. 🤣

Since vinyl is so hot, it's very possible that Blue Note is reserving for themselves the right to reissue these albums on vinyl.

12 hours ago, mhatta said:

I've always found "Nica" from that album to be especially mesmerizing.  I can listen to it repeatedly.