Sonny Rollins: A Night at the Village Vanguard (Tone Poet -- 3 LPs)

Mark Stryker

This news is making the rounds today. 

https://www.bluenote.com/sonny-rollins-a-night-at-the-village-vanguard-the-complete-masters-tone-poet-vinyl-edition/#:~:text=Blue Note Records has announced,de-force live trio album.

At the risk of coming off as self-aggrandizing, I feel compelled to point out that this was my idea. In March 2023, I posted a thread on Twitter that started like this:  "I want a Tone Poet release of the complete Sonny Rollins' 1957 Village Vanguard material: The original LP as released, plus the 2 LPs of additional material first issued in the '70s ..." I tagged Blue Note folks including vice president Cem Kurosman, who a couple of months ago confirmed to me that my tweet did indeed inspire the new package. He told me BN was going to reissue A Night at the Village Vanguard as a single LP when they saw my tweet and decided to change course and do a Tone Poet along the lines of my suggestion. I am at least hoping to get a free copy in return since I have not, to my knowledge, received an assistant producer credit.

Anybody got any other ideas you want me to pass along as long as I've got their ear? 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I would buy Tone Poets of LPs from the first fifteen years of Blue Note--that is where the new transfers and mastering would be most interesting to me.

Agreed. I would love to see them dip into their 30s and 40 sets. Unless I’m mistaken they haven’t touched these decades in these recent reissue series. I think they may be underestimating the market potential for these. 

Nice, this is way more interesting than the ump-teenth re-issue of Blue Train.  Thank-you for pushing this Mark!

Wow - for ideas, how about the Kenny Burrell "Blue Lights" sessions?  I know they are jam sessions, but have really grown on me over the years.  OTOH, there was a Classic Records issue some time ago.

Kenny Dorham - the Round About Midnight live sessions.

From left field - the two Booker Ervin sessions on Pacific Jazz (Booker 'n' Brass & Structurally Sound).  Or the two Teddy Edwards side on Pacific Jazz (It's About Time & Sunset Eyes).

Maybe the complete Three Blind Mice live sessions with Art Blakey.

There is a boatload of Cannonball Adderley on Capitol - do they have access to that?  Something interesting could surely be compiled.

None of this comes anywhere close to approaching the stature of the Rollins of course.  What a win!

Overpriced vinyl only editions of live material already released caused outrage in the 'Mingus Takes Manhattan' thread, even when the sound quality was noticeably improved. 

I guess because this is not bootleg made official it's considered differently, more worthy less of a rip off. Or is it just the BN name...

Still, pleased that this is being released

Edit to add: I now realise it's getting CD release too so you can ignore this post. I'll not delete as it'll make a nonsense of @jazzbo's response below

Edited by mjazzg

Yes, glad they are doing on CD.  The vinyl appeal for me is as much the full-size booklet that comes with it.  I can no longer read the microscopic print in the CD booklets.  Sh*t, I just became old!

Edited by Eric

Congrats, Mark, and thanks!  I like my complete CD 2-fer from Blue Note, and will stick with that.

3 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Anybody got any other ideas you want me to pass along as long as I've got their ear? 

I'd love to see a legit release of the complete Kenny Burrell - A Night At The Vanguard (originally on Argo).  There's a boot on Essential Jazz Classics that contains all 14 tracks (I assume there was more recorded but was lost in the Universal fire), but it would be nice to see it done right.

71SzVvf-7HL._SL1425_.jpg

8113pslqlcL._SL1226_.jpg

3 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

This news is making the rounds today. 

https://www.bluenote.com/sonny-rollins-a-night-at-the-village-vanguard-the-complete-masters-tone-poet-vinyl-edition/#:~:text=Blue Note Records has announced,de-force live trio album.

At the risk of coming off as self-aggrandizing, I feel compelled to point out that this was my idea. In March 2023, I posted a thread on Twitter that started like this:  "I want a Tone Poet release of the complete Sonny Rollins' 1957 Village Vanguard material: The original LP as released, plus the 2 LPs of additional material first issued in the '70s ..." I tagged Blue Note folks including vice president Cem Kurosman, who a couple of months ago confirmed to me that my tweet did indeed inspire the new package. He told me BN was going to reissue A Night at the Village Vanguard as a single LP when they saw my tweet and decided to change course and do a Tone Poet along the lines of my suggestion. I am at least hoping to get a free copy in return since I have not, to my knowledge, received an assistant producer credit.

A Tone Poet boxset of af all the previously unreleased Andrew Hill from Mosaic Select 16 (https://www.discogs.com/release/4046800-Andrew-Hill-Mosaic-Select) would be great.

3 hours ago, Eric said:

Nice, this is way more interesting than the ump-teenth re-issue of Blue Train.  Thank-you for pushing this Mark!

Wow - for ideas, how about the Kenny Burrell "Blue Lights" sessions?  I know they are jam sessions, but have really grown on me over the years.  OTOH, there was a Classic Records issue some time ago.

Kenny Dorham - the Round About Midnight live sessions.

From left field - the two Booker Ervin sessions on Pacific Jazz (Booker 'n' Brass & Structurally Sound).  Or the two Teddy Edwards side on Pacific Jazz (It's About Time & Sunset Eyes).

Maybe the complete Three Blind Mice live sessions with Art Blakey.

There is a boatload of Cannonball Adderley on Capitol - do they have access to that?  Something interesting could surely be compiled.

None of this comes anywhere close to approaching the stature of the Rollins of course.  What a win!

The Tone Poet series has access to Cannonball's Capitol recordings and Joe Harley indicated somewhere that a few Capitol titles will join the series in 2025.  He didn't specify if they are Cannonball albums but I'm hoping Cannonball's At The Lighthouse will be one of those titles.  

Edited by dougcrates

2 minutes ago, dougcrates said:

The Tone Poet series has access to Cannonball's Capitol recordings and Joe Harley indicated somewhere that a few Capitol titles will join the series in 2025.  He didn' specify if they're Cannonball albums but I'm hoping Cannonball's At The Lighthouse will be one of those titles.  

Isn't that one on Riverside though?

Just now, sidewinder said:

Isn't that one on Riverside though?

Cannonball brought the tapes to several Riverside sessions including At The Lighthouse when he moved to Capitol.  Michael Cuscuna and Orrin Keepnews co-produced the CD reissue in 2001 for Capitol.

33 minutes ago, dougcrates said:

Cannonball brought the tapes to several Riverside sessions including At The Lighthouse when he moved to Capitol.  Michael Cuscuna and Orrin Keepnews co-produced the CD reissue in 2001 for Capitol.

Interesting, wasn't aware of that.

Have the Riverside in an orig DG mono copy so will likely 'pass' if a Tone Poet comes to pass. As it is a well recorded and in demand album, it will quite probably happen.

Edited by sidewinder