Sonny Rollins: A Night at the Village Vanguard (Tone Poet -- 3 LPs)

Mark Stryker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I wonder what they used in 1975 for the paper bag first issue of the extras? Because whatever it was, those cuts sounded boxier than the OG 1957 LP.

That's neither good nor bad, because it's a boxy room. But now I'm curious, because there we no credits on that set other than originally recorded by RVG and produced for release by MC. And Rudy was certainly around then.

I also wonder what Rudy used to make the 7.5 ips reels, especially tape width.

And if these old OG tapes have already been used, just how "virgin" are they?

Questions aside, my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I'm in on this one. 

I am dubious.

16 hours ago, hbbfam said:

Are there any other CD or download releases from this series?

Can't speak to downloads, but no CDs. They still do new releases and first-release archival items (i.e. Blakey, Elvin Jones) on CD but catalog reissues are vinyl only. 

For some reason the Village Vanguard stuff never really spoke to me. Hard to tell why as I love Newk, like this period and most other people are so damn enthustiac about it. So I decided to stream them once again but still no 'click' here. Won't give up on them yet though. 🤔

The strangest thing happened the other day (interestingly it happened the same day the Org board was down): this was available for streaming on YouTube Music but it only lasted for a day because it's gone now. I'm not sure how or why it happened. I'm just glad I was able to listen to it for the brief time it was available.

I don't know what magic Joe Harley & Co worked on these tapes but these performances sounded phenomenal! Almost like you were there at the Vanguard! I can only imagine how good this is going to sound on the actual LP or CD (I'm planning on getting the LP). I was on the fence about this release prior to hearing this what must now be called a "sneak preview." Having heard it now is like hearing it for the first time with clean ears. Prior to this, this album had never made an impression on me; the other day, I couldn't stop listening. It all clicked tremendously!

So yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to this release now!

• 1 month later...

The sound is so good on the LP edition ( presumably CD too) because they used the tapes from the Vanguard rather than dubs created by Ruby immediately after the recording. Apparently the original 7.5ips tapes haven’t been used since then. The difference is startling to my ears

8 minutes ago, Clunky said:

The sound is so good on the LP edition ( presumably CD too) because they used the tapes from the Vanguard rather than dubs created by Ruby immediately after the recording. Apparently the original 7.5ips tapes haven’t been used since then. The difference is startling to my ears

Thnx for sharing your impressions ....

18 minutes ago, Clunky said:

This is great. Thank you.