Updated - BillF, RIP

Dan Gould

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feared this. it wasn't like Bill to not post for any length of time since he was such an active member here. Bill and I shared similar tastes in jazz. I will cherish our many conversations on Skype which go back more than a dozen years or so. We used to trade music back and forth and when Bill felt it was time to thin out his collection, I ended up buying a bunch of his CDs. Now that I know of his passing, I will pay tribute to my friend by playing some of that music in the coming days. Bill always used to get a chuckle when some board members which will go nameless, used to dump on Eric Alexander. He was a big fan and I believe at one point was able to see him perform in the UK. Bill, you were a good friend to me and will always remember sharing our love for jazz music. Your memory will live on around these parts. Thank you!

On 3/13/2024 at 4:42 PM, ghost of miles said:

BillF and me at the train station in Manchester, June 2016:

2rTMfyp.jpeg

Great photo. Bill looks a dapper youngish man there. Thank you for posting that. He will be much missed here. RIP Bill, fellow Manc. 

Oh dear I can’t believe I am reading this just now. That sad news. I loved his enthusiasm and the thumbs up he gave when I spun a certain record he liked. He will be missed. From the photos he looks like a very friendly guy. May he rest in peace

13 hours ago, Clunky said:

and had some wonderful stories 

From memory, Bill witnessed what seemed to be just about everything that was in Bill Birch's Manchester Jazz book covering approx 1960-1975 and a fair bit locally that wasn't mentioned in the book plus forays across the Pennines to stuff such as JATP tour dates at Leeds and Bradford.

Edited by sidewinder

RIP. Sad news, not sure how I missed the update but likely because didn't see it for a long time because I only have the "Music Discussion" bookmarked. I feared an illness or worse.

Kind, knowledgeable and generous fellow, real asset to this online community.

Edited by T.D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill was particularly involved in the “Name three people” thread. With 14,140 posts he will probably remain alone at the top!
I've been following the thread for many years. It was always a pleasure responding to Bill's posts!