Don Was interview in Forbes: More Wayne Shorter recordings in the pipeline

I sort of feel like Ken Dryden about not buying LPs if I have the CDs (although I’ve made a few exceptions). Feel the same way about constantly reissuing new CDs just to get a teeny better sound but to each his own. 

Does anyone know how many leaders of Blue Note sessions pre-1970 are still alive? Off hand I can only think of Rollins, Burrell, Dizzy Reece, and Hancock. Anybody else? 

On 2/26/2024 at 8:58 AM, Ken Dryden said:

I have no use for buying overpriced Tone Poet LPs of music I've owned on CDs for years with bonus tracks. My money is better invested elsewhere, as there is plenty of music I haven't heard that awaits me, even after a half century as a jazz collector.

Artists are frequently fed up with subsequent owners of labels issuing material they rejected at the time, John Fogerty has the right idea, as he destroys all unissued takes when they don't meet his standards. That way he will know that he won't be dealing with unapproved issues of rejects, unless he has a crooked engineer with a hidden hard drive or tape machine on the payroll, which is very unlikely, since it would make the engineer liable for future lawsuits.

For me, what's great about the Tone Poets is the cover art. Blue Note cover art is iconic, and the Tone Poets do a fantastic job of presenting that in full size. I prefer CDs to vinyl in general, but I like the Tone Poet series a lot. I honestly wish they would put the same production standards on all their catalog. 

12 minutes ago, Face of the Bass said:

Does anyone know how many leaders of Blue Note sessions pre-1970 are still alive? Off hand I can only think of Rollins, Burrell, Dizzy Reece, and Hancock. Anybody else? 

Lou Donaldson can be added to the list. Can't think of any others offhand.

Edited by T.D.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:50 PM, Face of the Bass said:

For me, what's great about the Tone Poets is the cover art. Blue Note cover art is iconic, and the Tone Poets do a fantastic job of presenting that in full size. I prefer CDs to vinyl in general, but I like the Tone Poet series a lot. I honestly wish they would put the same production standards on all their catalog. 

I think George Braith is still alive.

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

Also Sheila Jordan. #JazzFromDetroit

Indeed.

She has regularly performed not too far (just under 2 hours) from me at the Falcon in Marlboro, NY. Last time was Nov. 2023 iirc.

7 hours ago, Milestones said:

A little tricky, but Joe Chambers released some Blue Notes quite recently--and he was quite active in the 60s, though only as a sideman.  

If Chambers counts there's also Ron Carter (so that would be a possible b/dr team for the Allstar Band)

Edited by Niko

12 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Tyrone Washington is still alive, as far as I know.

When was last word about him? I only recall the handful of 70s releases then what I presumed was a return to obscurity. I am wondering if there would be a lot of reporting if he had passed.

31 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Off-topic, but while searching for names I recalled that Cecil McBee and Reginald Workman are still active, though they were pre-1970 BN sidemen only.

You can add Roy Haynes, James Spaulding, George Coleman, Louis Hayes, & Charles Tolliver to the sideman list. In the low-credit arena you could also name Hal Galper, Scotty Holt, Alan Silva, and Andrew Cyrille. I'm sure there are others here & there.

re: Haynes & Tolliver, a fun fact is that everyone from the It's Time!!!! session except Jackie are still with us. I think that's the highest percentage of any BN album.

Edited by colinmce

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

He's still performing too. Came through town a few weeks ago. 

I have a ticket to see Joe in a couple of weeks at Ronnie Scott's, very much looking forward to hearing the legend in the flesh

11 minutes ago, colinmce said:

You can add Roy Haynes, James Spaulding, George Coleman, Louis Hayes, & Charles Tolliver to the sideman list. In the low-credit arena you could also name Hal Galper, Scotty Holt, Alan Silva, and Andrew Cyrille. I'm sure there are others here & there.

re: Haynes & Tolliver, a fun fact is that everyone from the It's Time!!!! session except Jackie are still with us. I think that's the highest percentage of any BN album.

Scotty Holt is no longer living, as far as I know.