Albert “Tootie” Heath (1935-2024)

Mark Stryker

A reliable musician source confirms the social media posts I’m seeing that Tootie Heath has died at 88. 

Tootie was great on record, but you had to hear him live to really feel how alive his cymbal beat was, how high he lifted the bandstand, how deep his swing and groove were, and how many wild chances he took. The videos let you glimpse it. Tootie and Dexter were extra special. From 1967. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

• Mark Stryker changed the title to Albert “Tootie” Heath (1935-2024)

I loved him and I think the Montmatre Collection ,I mean that Dexter Gordon album with that faster version of Like Someone in Love, is my favourite Dexter recording, BECAUSE of Tootie !!! 

Sorry I never heard the Heath Brothers.....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I loved him and I think the Montmatre Collection ,I mean that Dexter Gordon album with that faster version of Like Someone in Love, is my favourite Dexter recording, BECAUSE of Tootie !!! 

Sorry I never heard the Heath Brothers.....

Saw them @ Jazzfest Wiesen 1982, but was not overly impressed .... probably already touring (too) long and tired/not spirited 🧐🤔 ....

First dug Tootie on Herbie Hancock's 'Prisoner' (April, '69) and 'Fat Albert Rotunda' (May-June, '69).

On both albums, Tootie showed he could play 'outside' and straight down the middle.

(After taking more than a year off, 'Mwandishi' Herbie went with Billy Hart.)