RIP Bill Holman

Hardbopjazz

38 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

RIP.  I never really warmed up to his writing; it seemed to be missing an X factor that I seek in arrangers.  Maybe I just never heard the right stuff.  If I were going to buy one album, either under Holman's name, Kenton's, or anyone else's, which would you suggest?

Not sure if this is exact or not but the Kamuca/Holman West Coast Jazz in HiFi album is nice (aka Jazz Erotica), with Holman on bari and arrangements. Two of the songs are his compositions as well. 

RIP 

Edited by Dub Modal

36 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

RIP.  I never really warmed up to his writing; it seemed to be missing an X factor that I seek in arrangers.  Maybe I just never heard the right stuff.  If I were going to buy one album, either under Holman's name, Kenton's, or anyone else's, which would you suggest?

Bill did not arrange for  the jazz scene alone   but was sucessful also  on pop and rock arranging for groups. He had a broad feeling for music and melodies. Have  most of his works (official & unofficial) and can only say I like everything I hear from him.

5 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I recall seeing Bill Holman lead his Big Band at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, California back (roughly) 15 years ago. A wonderful musical treat. 

Holman was one of my favorite jazz arrangers.

R.I.P.

I saw him at a festival at Balboa/Newport Beach with his big band 25 years ago - took some photos of the event. Also got to chat with him and he was very approachable and friendly, talked about touring UK with Vic Lewis.

RIP - a good long life of achievement, great arranger and a very under-rated tenor soloist in his younger days.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks, all!

Has anyone heard his work with Terry Gibbs?

Yes - strong, swinging, sophisticated charts. Bill's arrangement of "You Go to My Head" for the Gibbs Band  is one of my favorite Holman arrangements. A great Band too. Gibbs out in front on vibes leading and soloing with great enthusiasm.  Al Porcino on lead trumpet, Mel Lewis on drums, and top rate musicians in all the other chairs.  How could you go wrong? 

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

His two JVC releases from 1995 and 1997 are sublime _ A view from the side and Brilliant Corners. The Monk album is well worth a listen. 

The Monk was great. R.I.P.

14 hours ago, Clunky said:

His two JVC releases from 1995 and 1997 are sublime _ A view from the side and Brilliant Corners. The Monk album is well worth a listen. 

Seconded.  Especially A view from the side is my favorite.

96 years? Wow ..had no idea he was still around ...
RIP and thanks for your name as a safe bet when picking up records to my liking from the heyday of "Out West" jazz. ;)

I guess most of his work for Kenton (plus some more for others) is on my shelves, and I have all of his 50s jazz leader dates on vinyl (Octet (Capitol), Fabulous (Coral), Jive For Five (Andex), In A Jazz Orbit (Andex), Great Big Band (Capitol, both mono and stereo), and would find it hard to recommend one clearly above all others. But I tend to lean a tiny bit towards his "Great Big Band" set. 
So, TTK, the "Original Bill Holamn Band - Complete Recordings" 2-CD set that appears in one of the Youtube links of the earlier post by Stompin' would be one way of rounding up the essentials from that period in a convenient package. (And don't let yourself be talked or bullied out of it just because it is on Lone Hill. :D)

Just listening to "A View From The Side" right now. I'd say it is a nice way of transposing his earlier style he became renowned for in a somewhat more contemporary context without trying to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by Big Beat Steve