How Have I Never Heard of Ben Sidran?

Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Late said:

Sidran is an anagram for Nardis.

I remember Sidran pointing that out in a broadcast. I also remember his book of interview transcriptions, with Denny Zeitlin spelled Denny Zeitland throughout the hardback edition. I guess he didn't have any time or interest in reading the galley proofs...

Edited by Ken Dryden

46 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Are people still hung up on this Nardis thing? The title has nothing to do with Ben Sidran.

46 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Are people still hung up on this Nardis thing? The title has nothing to do with Ben Sidran.

Of course it doesn’t, it was written before anybody heard of Ben Sidran.

I'm not really familiar with Ben Sidran's oeuvre, but this one is pretty cool...JG's blowing too.

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

I don't remember where,  but I read somewhere that Sidran asked about Sidran/Nardis to Miles himself and Miles was quite surprised and amused (but obviously it's just a coincidence).

Edited by mhatta

26 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

That's a very nice book they made from these interviews!

That’s how I first became aware of Sidran, back in my college days. Not really sure I’d ever heard his name before that.

Come to think, I can’t swear if I’ve even seen one album of his while CD shopping — though I’ve seen a few here and there in the LP bins (but most of my buying focus as always been CD’s, at least since I’d gotten into jazz).

Didn’t he close his interview with Miles asking about “Nardis” and his own name?

I encountered Ben Sidran first on VH1, back when they kinda/sorta programmed some jazz-dedicated programs(?). Perhaps it was BET instead. He struck me as a pre-Kramer hipster doofus and I am sure it effected my interest in the rest of his oeuvre. 

15 hours ago, mhatta said:

I'm not really familiar with Ben Sidran's oeuvre, but this one is pretty cool...JG's blowing too.

I don't remember where,  but I read somewhere that Sidran asked about Sidran/Nardis to Miles himself and Miles was quite surprised and amused (but obviously it's just a coincidence).

It was in the Talking Jazz interview.

16 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Of course it doesn’t, it was written before anybody heard of Ben Sidran.

And yet I was at a gig the other day where they played Nardis and announced in all seriousness that it was written for Sidran.