THIRD MAN RECORDS TO RELAUNCH VERVE BY REQUEST AS VINYL REISSUE SERIES

mjzee

Verve Records/UMe and Third Man Records have partnered to resurrect the popular reissue series, Verve By Request, with a vinyl twist. Focusing on rare gems and fan-requested jazz albums from the Verve Label Group’s stable of iconic labels, the series will offer two titles per month – each hand-picked by Verve and Third Man Records. The records will include both long-out-of-print titles from the vault as well as the first-ever vinyl pressings for albums released in the ‘90s and aughts that were only originally released on CD.   

Albums will be newly remastered from original analog sources, when available, and pressed on audiophile-quality, 180-gram vinyl at Third Man Pressing in Detroit. Black vinyl pre-orders available now from Verve. Each month, a limited Third Man Edition yellow color variant of each LP will also be available exclusively via Third Man Records Detroit and Nashville storefronts and uDiscoverMusic. Each of the Third Man Editions will come in a limited edition, two-color, screen-printed jacket on archival French cover stock, custom printed and assembled in Detroit. The series launches on November 11 with a nod to Third Man’s birthplace with two of Detroit’s finest: Alice Coltrane’s Ptah, the El Daoud (1970) and Roy Brooks’ long out-of-print Beat (1964).

How about somebody put that Roy Books out on CD, by a real (legit) reissue label — since it’s never been on CD before (far as I’m aware).

$13.99, maybe $15.99 (If they have to) for it on CD… …not $30 dollars for some fucking bullshit colored vinyl nonsense.

I would have had this Roy Brooks title on CD years ago, if any (legit) reissue label had ever bothered to have done it.

Not too much to get excited about here - from my perspective. If I want e.g. Gabor Szabo ‘Sorcery’ the European 2-on-one CD which also included ‘More Sorcery’ is much more cost-effective and in more than acceptable sound.

The Lateef title has been available over here on Universal vinyl in recent years.

Might be interested in the Roy Brooks.

Edited by sidewinder

Just a perfect microcosm here of where the jazz reissue market stands today. The original CD line was broad, idiosyncratic, and risky. This LP line is nothing but what's in style, reifying the dominant taste, packaging up the music people already know. What a joke. 

Edited by colinmce

Or it presents a pretty good core collection for someone new to the music presented in a way that reflects current market trends for "distinctiveness".

If something like this selection had been released as I was getting into Jazz I'd have had my head turned.

I don't see a bad thing here just something for a different target audience than most on this forum.

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Just a perfect microcosm here of where the jazz reissue market stands today. The original CD line was broad, idiosyncratic, and risky. This LP line is nothing but what's in style, reifying the dominant taste, packaging up the music people already know. What a joke. 

Both Alice Coltrane’s Ptah the El Daoud and Pharoah Sanders’ Black Unity never got a proper vinyl reissue. I don’t see what’s wrong in do giving that great music a reissue. It makes me a very happy man.

I'm pretty happy to see Black Unity reissued too and there are a few other titles I'd like. The selection seems a lot less conservative than the Acoustic Sounds series (Ella and Louis, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson etc).

Just hoping that by the time they're imported to the UK they're not the now seemingly standard £30+ :unsure:

On 10/21/2022 at 9:30 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

How about somebody put that Roy Books out on CD, by a real (legit) reissue label — since it’s never been on CD before (far as I’m aware).

$13.99, maybe $15.99 (If they have to) for it on CD… …not $30 dollars for some fucking bullshit colored vinyl nonsense.

I would have had this Roy Brooks title on CD years ago, if any (legit) reissue label had ever bothered to have done it.

Third Man is legit, partly owned by Detroit's own Jack White. I'm sure these are licensed from the catalog owners. But yes, the yellow tint is gross.

and to Pim's point, there was a late 90s Impulse 180g reissue of Black Unity that was done officially.

10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Third Man is legit, partly owned by Detroit's own Jack White. I'm sure these are licensed from the catalog owners. But yes, the yellow tint is gross.

and to Pim's point, there was a late 90s Impulse 180g reissue of Black Unity that was done officially.

I know Clifford but… I was 7 years old back then and not yet interested in the spiritual free sound of mr. Sanders. The reissue you’re talking about is going for around 60 euros used nowadays so happy with this new reissue.

13 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yellow vinyl version is a limited edition; all titles seem to be released in black also.