Sonny Clark complete Blue Note announced.

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

I’ll be passing. Mainly because I have all of it but also because Sonny’s  trio albums underwhelm me.  

Standards has really grown on me over the years.  I also don't there are many opportunities to hear Jymie Merritt away from Blakey (or Blakey sidemen) or as part of a trio.

As for the set, I don't see myself going for it unless I find it for a lower price down the road.  With Mosaic, I tend to focus on material I can't find elsewhere, so current releases like the Savory material and Tristano recordings are more likely candidates.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Reading the Hoffman forums, I would say that today's Jazz vinyl buyers are extremely finicky, so I would not think it good business sense for Mosaic to get back into vinyl today. The returns would probably force them out of business in a year. :)

That is an understatement. I spend a lot of time there and I think a lot of people on the new vinyl threads spend more time talking about non musical points. Economically, I don’t think it would be feasible for Mosaic. For example, if you have a problem with an Amazon or VMP purchased record, they tell you to keep it and send you a new one. Solutions like that could kill Mosaic. 

Edited by Brad

When they digitize music from tape and other sources nowadays they apparently come away with a very hi res and very large file digital master.  This gets processed down to cd quality files.  Apparently even a lot of vinyl releases are actually coming from those same digital conversion files.  Vinyl is having a comeback now but it's really a dead medium, in my opinion.  Scraping a diamond needle over a plastic groove just like Edison invented over a century ago!  I think both vinyl and cd are out of date.

7 hours ago, Brad said:

That is an understatement. I spend a lot of time there and I think a lot of people on the new vinyl threads spend more time talking about non musical points. Economically, I don’t think it would be feasible for Mosaic. For example, if you have a problem with an Amazon or VMP purchased record, they tell you to keep it and send you a new one. Solutions like that could kill Mosaic. 

I have a good friend who dived back into vinyl in a BIG way. I've seen lots of videos he sends me and live chats and the discussion almost always turns to packaging, mastering location, vinyl quality and everything except the music. Pretty frustrating.

As far as the new Clark box, I'm definitely thinking about it. The only album I have is Cool Struttin', so this would be a good collection for me.

2 hours ago, BFrank said:

I have a good friend who dived back into vinyl in a BIG way. I've seen lots of videos he sends me and live chats and the discussion almost always turns to packaging, mastering location, vinyl quality and everything except the music. Pretty frustrating.

As far as the new Clark box, I'm definitely thinking about it. The only album I have is Cool Struttin', so this would be a good collection for me.

I sometimes get the feeling that for some of these folks, including the Hoffman crowd, it is like collecting baseball cards. A cult.

I’m likely in for this box. Currently listening to the Hubbard box and enjoying it. If up to that standard, should be a good one. Have most of the music I think, except ‘Standards’.

17 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Sounds like basically... there's not a lot interest in this boxed set here... due to most of us having the CDs...?

And also quite easily obtainable one by one.  I am still wondering if Mosaic will release Bobby Hutcherson's BN set, because it is hard to get some of single CDs, such as Total Eclipse, Heads On, Knuclebean, etc.

Edited by mhatta

ah, you're all just jealous because Sonny Clark wouldn't record with you -

yeah, I'm kidding - as I said before I think he's a fine, lyrical pianist but I wish instead they would reissue Twardzik or Elmo Hope, or a bunch of others - maybe weirdly and previously dispersed Bud Powell, the bits and pieces spread all over bootlegs and other sources. I still think Bud is the most illuminating and profound musician who ever decided to play jazz.

Digression, I know. But I am at the age where I need to downsize, and if I bring another jazz box near the house my wife will change the locks.

It would be nice if Mosaic or somewhere else put out The Complete Bud Powell RCA/Roulette/Impulse!/Fontana Recordings or something. These recordings are seriously underrated.  At any rate, the RCA recording has one previously unreleased song (Lullaby to a Believer) and the tape is extant (a short, cute lullaby).

10 minutes ago, bresna said:

I hate to admit it, but my ears are at a point where I have stopped looking at sonic upgrades. If there was any music in here that I didn't already own, I'd jump at it, but no.

Same, on all counts.

Joe Henderson is probably my personal ne plus ultra of saxophone players — but since I already had the 2015 SHMCD of Mode For Joe (with the ‘new’ previously unreleased alternate of the title track), I just couldn’t justify the expense of getting even the Joe Henderson BN Mosaic (for what would have been just a couple more early alternates) — and I settled for buying the booklet only.

I called them and happened to get Scott (maybe the first time I’d ever talked with him, unless it was back in the 90’s when I used to call in orders now and then), and he was kind enough to sell me just the Joe Henderson booklet when I was ordering a couple other sets (to save both of us extra shipping and hassle).

The Henderson box wasn’t actually quite OOP yet, but I explained my rationale — and he didn’t even blink about selling me one (despite their stated policy of not doing so while sets were still in print).  I guess my long purchase history with them helped, or he took pity on me.

I like Sonny Clark just fine, but I’ve never been specifically enthusiastic about him. I think I’ve got about 4 discs from this set already, and that’s been enough for me for about 15 years at this point.

Now a complete Lee Morgan 60’s set with some actual previously unreleased studio material — now THAT’s something I might not be able to resist. But this Sonny Clark set just isn’t calling my name.

9 hours ago, tranemonk said:

Sounds like basically... there's not a lot interest in this boxed set here... due to most of us having the CDs...?

I don’t think that’s completely correct. I went through the responses and there are eleven no’s, six yesses and four maybes. Over on Hoffman, the reverse is the case: seven yesses, two maybes and two no’s. 

6 hours ago, bresna said:

I hate to admit it, but my ears are at a point where I have stopped looking at sonic upgrades. If there was any music in here that I didn't already own, I'd jump at it, but no.

I can see that would impact buying indeed.

I'm at a different position. I protected my hearing as much as I could when playing in bands and practicing drums, and my hearing has pretty much remained the same since I stopped doing that thirty years or so ago. And my system -- where I throw as much mad money as I can at any time -- is more and more both revealing and musical and I can hear the differences between masterings etc. and enjoy doing so. I'm at the apex of my collecting though, and have instituted a loose attrition policy on re-buying music I already have. So after doing some comparisons I anticipate selling the Clark Japanese cds I've retained. I'll have the fun of doing the comparisons and will probably fund a lot of the box set this way.

I enjoy listening to the way that digital has improved over the decades. There are great discs from every period of digital growth. We live in a great time for audio. Hopefully this week I'll receive an amp I paid for over the 21 months I was on a wait list. I find few things more exciting than getting a new stereo component to experience.

Edited by jazzbo

Since I have most, if not all of the stuff on this set, I'm not in a hurry to get it.  But the situation was the same for me with Joe Henderson, the Mobley 60s set and Freddie Hubbard.  Yet - I play those sets all the time.  So I'm going to do what I did for the three sets I just mentioned - I'm putting the Sonny Clark on my Christmas list.

21 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I sometimes get the feeling that for some of these folks, including the Hoffman crowd, it is like collecting baseball cards. A cult.

I’m likely in for this box. Currently listening to the Hubbard box and enjoying it. If up to that standard, should be a good one. Have most of the music I think, except ‘Standards’.

I think that's one reason I don't follow the Hoffman Forum. 

On 7/12/2023 at 1:07 AM, BFrank said:

I think that's one reason I don't follow the Hoffman Forum. 

I follow one thread on that forum that I started for jazz conversation. I venture with light footsteps into other areas. . . .

Great news! In the recent past I haven't gotten shipping notices and even had to inquire whether my order was ready to ship--having to do with PayPal orders I believe. Good to hear it is shipping so soon!

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, hbbfam said:

Much like this site, I have learned who is worth listening to. 

True.  I find this place a little too caustic at times. It’s not what it used to be when we had a lot more active members, who have become alienated from here. 

About 50 years ago I was pretty serious about guitar and had this teacher named Rick Schiller. Eventually I ended up doing other things and always wondered if I made a mistake not sticking with it.  About 10 years ago I happened to run into Rick again and discovered that Rick, who really had talent and whom I judged 50 years ago to be better than I would ever be, Rick eventually gave up performing and became a photographer because being a jazz musician could be brutal and was difficult to make a living at!  After wondering so many years about 'selling out', to find out that even Rick couldn't make a go of it!  Somehow that made me feel better.

Anyway back in the early 70's Rick imparted this piece of wisdom to me: Often you will meet guitar players who are really great but turn out to be arrogant jerks and talk down to you.  Never mind the attitude and see if you can cop some licks from them.

4 hours ago, Brad said:

True.  I find this place a little too caustic at times. It’s not what it used to be when we had a lot more active members, who have become alienated from here. 

Glad that you continue to post here as well, Brad. I enjoy the Hoffman forums from time to time for certain specific artist topics + the jazz discussion that jazzbo mentioned, but there are so many ongoing active threads that it’s an awfully big pool for me to splash around in on a daily basis. Organissimo remains by far my favorite place for discussion of jazz, baseball, books, etc. (Although I don’t even need the etc as long as I have the first three!)

Great news that the Clark is already shipping. There’s more good news coming later this year! 😉 

Edited by ghost of miles