Sonny Clark complete Blue Note announced.

On 7/26/2023 at 7:29 PM, Stompin at the Savoy said:

The set arrived today and I am just starting to listen to it.  The sound is very good.  I got into Sonny Clark about 30 years ago and listened to and collected much of his output then.  I've returned to some of it again over the years but not that much.  This time round the music is still the same but I have come along 30 years as a listener.  So it's different and very enjoyable.

I finally had a chance to listen to ththe first 3 CDs and agree that the sound is very good. However, it seems to me that the sound on the Sonny Clark box set is a little on the bright side, The sound seems a little more compressed than on the other recent Mosaic boxes (Joe Henderson, Hubbard) which had a warmer, more analogue, sound to them.

Perhaps it is my system. Just wondering if others agree.

I am enjoying it and am glad to have it. I just wish the sound were not so bright.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still on the fence for this one, although I probably will be picking it up once it starts running low.

I bought the Mobley, Henderson and Hubbard but I start having second thoughts about these recent Blue Note collections on Mosaic - they render so many of the individual cd's that I have collected and cherished over the years 'redundant'. And once again, there's nothing here that isn't already in my collection.

The guys at Mosaic know what they are doing and these releases probably make good business sense, although I expected the Henderson and Hubbard to sell out quicker at 5.000 copies, big name sets that they are.

Edited by Mark13

I originally thought there were one or two albums I didn't have but turned out I had them all.  Nevertheless I'm happy with the purchase.  I haven't compared all the various masterings but I did compare an expensive Japanese edition of Sonny's Crib I had and I was somewhat surprised to find I liked this new mastering better.  If you only have one or two albums this is definitely recommended. 

I agree that the mastering is a bit brighter than the Mobley, Henderson and Hubbard, but just a bit and it gives a sense of more detail. I have a new amplifier too which may be helping me to really enjoy this set. Such wonderful music!

I've bought these sessions several times beforehand. . . I had no hesitation to buy them again to have the "Mosaic treatment."

I don’t listen to very much classic jazz these days but Sonny Clark is my favorite pianist of his sort. Love these recordings and I may buy this. 

regarding Hoffman the jazz threads are fine. The one Lon started is excellent.

There is a great avant-garde thread with decent participation although of course the interest in that sort of music will always be very limited. Some here would enjoy the recommendations and commentary. 

Also it’s the best place by FAR to discuss the Grateful Dead. The most knowledgeable posters on the subject of my favorite rock band. 

No cake, no pie

just a bit of Dead this AM and now some Evan Parker

chilling out prepping for my imminent retirement!!

10 to 15 live shows a month to be the norm / which I’ve already been doing the last few months to make sure my life is filled with live music!!

The improv scene here in NYC/Brooklyn is pure fire post-pandemic!! Great time to be alive!!! 

To make things right, NP 1/24/70 with Cumberland Blues, Cold Rain & Snow and a great version of the *great* Mason’s Children with Jerome killing it!!!

Edited by Steve Reynolds

37 minutes ago, medjuck said:

When was Sonny's Crib released?  (I keep complaining that discographies should try to give release dates.).  I have a discography of Trane done for Coda shortly after his death and it's not listed. 

According to wikipedia, March 1958

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Tempting.... 

and succumbed...

My excuse is that it is an early birthday present. At least the journey from Barcelona is less traumatic than shipping from Hartford !

Tempted too, haven’t ordered from Jazz Messengers for a long time, any post Brexit complications you are aware of?

20 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Tempted too, haven’t ordered from Jazz Messengers for a long time, any post Brexit complications you are aware of?

No - should hopefully be straight forward. The only recent change I noticed is that the free shipping offer has now gone but that applies also to Europe. Shipping comes in via Royal Mail and usually transits via Netherlands.

I did a check and at last reckoning they have about 6 copies in stock.

Edited by sidewinder