Sonny Clark complete Blue Note announced.

Wow!! Six days to Australia via Fedex - what a difference to the previous abysmal shippers (Asendia)

Excellent sound & the booklet is a stunner, packed with Wolff's images - I'm sure there's a few here that havn't been previously published (Wolff books, LP/CD sleeves/liner notes etc). Enjoyed Blumenthal's informative notes.

Edited by romualdo

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, romualdo said:

Wow!! Six days to Australia via Fedex - what a difference to the previous abysmal shippers (Asendia)

Excellent sound & the booklet is a stunner, packed with Wolff's images - I'm sure there's a few here that havn't been previously published (Wolff books, LP/CD sleeves/liner notes etc). Enjoyed Blumenthal's informative notes.

What a difference !

Mine’s on its way from JazzMessengers. Looking forward. The only issue is freeing up shelf space to store it !

36 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

What a difference !

Mine’s on its way from JazzMessengers. Looking forward. The only issue is freeing up shelf space to store it !

won't there be space when you divest yourself of your individual Clark CDs (I'm sure you'd have some)

47 minutes ago, romualdo said:

won't there be space when you divest yourself of your individual Clark CDs (I'm sure you'd have some)

Different shelves and type, alas !

For the first time, I think I am now pretty well up to date with Mosaic releases. Spent half of my life catching up !

Edited by sidewinder

Mine has arrived via Royal Mail - packaged immaculately as usual by jazzmessengers and in less than a week. Some good listening coming up this afternoon !

Updated to add that the sound is really excellent. Easily trounces the old RVGs and Conns.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Updated to add that the sound is really excellent. Easily trounces the old RVGs and Conns.

sure does - listened to the set twice now - like the musical organisation of each disc, Hank or Trane on discs 1 & 2 (sextet & quintet). The two quintet sessions (Quintets & Cool Struttin' - Dec 57, Feb 58) fit nicely onto disc 4 with trio material on discs 3 & 5. Leapin' & Lopin' comprises disc 6.

56 minutes ago, romualdo said:

sure does - listened to the set twice now - like the musical organisation of each disc, Hank or Trane on discs 1 & 2 (sextet & quintet). The two quintet sessions (Quintets & Cool Struttin' - Dec 57, Feb 58) fit nicely onto disc 4 with trio material on discs 3 & 5. Leapin' & Lopin' comprises disc 6.

Yes, I was impressed with the way they have structured the disks too. What a start on disk 1 with Mobley and Trane. Some pretty generous playing times on those early disks too.

Maybe it is me but I like the way this set has the clarity so that Clark’s accompaniment of the soloists can be really appreciated. Bob Bloomenthal’s booklet notes are good too. Not least for explaining that ‘News For Lulu’ was written for Clark’s dog and not Louise Brooks as I’d always assumed !

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, adh1907 said:

I was too slow. Out of stock at Mosaic and Jazz Messengers. 

By the way, are the original sleeve notes replicated in the box set? I hope so. 

Sorry to hear that - out of stock at Mosaic as well ?  That was ridiculously quick, I guess they will be producing more batches.

The booklet has good notes by Bob Blumenthal but no original sleeve notes. Sound by the way is really excellent - best on CD I have heard by far.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Sorry to hear that - out of stock at Mosaic as well ?  That was ridiculously quick, I guess they will be producing more batches.

The booklet has good notes by Bob Blumenthal but no original sleeve notes. Sound by the way is really excellent - best on CD I have heard by far.

They’ve never included original liner notes. Could be a copyright issue. 

You can often find the original covers and liner notes on https://musicbrainz.org/search

For example: https://musicbrainz.org/release/8d5bebf1-2727-461e-a5e3-3cea63d67b7e/cover-art

or https://musicbrainz.org/release/16f5911c-1ff9-3cdd-8acd-d3af9ea1bc84/cover-art

They seem to have most of the Sonny Clark Blue Note Albums.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

12 hours ago, T.D. said:

I don't think so. I always got the impression new booklet / essay / notes form an essential part of the Mosaic cachet.

They have released big format sets where original liner notes were added to a new introductory essay.

I've gone through a few in my collection and the booklets in the Sam Rivers, Curtis Fuller and Don Cherry sets all have the liner notes to the original albums included in the sets. Those are pre-Mosaic Select and have only up to three CDs.

But the booklet to the Larry Young has the original liner notes as well. And that is a 6-CD-set.

Edited by Mark13

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 7:38 PM, Stompin at the Savoy said:

I thought it was a very good article. I exchanged a couple of emails with the writer, Sam Stephenson, who told me that a couple of chapters in his book, Gene Smith’s Sink, are devoted to Clark and that from time to time he thinks about writing a book about Sonny Clark as he has a lot of information about him. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I thought it was a very good article. I exchanged a couple of emails with the writer, Sam Stephenson, who told me that a couple of chapters in his book, Gene Smith’s Sink, are devoted to Clark and that from time to time he thinks about writing a book about Sonny Clark as he has a lot of information about him. 

Thanks to Brad and Stompin' for bringing this article up ... I don't recall reading it back in July (and I think I'd remember hearing that people questioned whether Sonny's body was the one buried).

Definitely hoping the author writes that book about Clark.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Sonny Clark set has arrived! It's a 15th wedding anniversary gift from my wife - somewhat delayed from the August date by back-orders.  But better late than never and I'm home today - so I will be playing it the rest of the day.

Set number 2181.