Wes Montgomery - The Complete Full House Recordings + New Resonance Half Note Set

mjzee

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, hbbfam said:

Totally different recordings. The tracks on Resonance come from radio broadcasts. Look at the recording dates and track lists you can find here and check with Noal Cohen's great Wes Montgomery discography.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Totally different recordings. The tracks on Resonance come from radio broadcasts. Look at the recording dates and track lists you can find here and check with Noal Cohen's great Wes Montgomery discography.

So the Resonance stuff hasn't been released before??? The way I read the press release it sounded like some of it had been released previously. If it has, but not in the Smoking at the Half Note Live... then where was it released? Is this all new? I'm so confused.

Edited by tranemonk

There is a cut up at Bandcamp, "Four On Six".  Sounds very good to my ears.  Per the copy, previously unissued:

Maximum Swing: The Unissued 1965 Half Note Recordings is the first official release of the complete previously unissued recordings from jazz guitar giant Wes Montgomery with the Wynton Kelly Trio at the famed Half Note jazz club in New York City in 1965 with drummer Jimmy Cobb and bassists Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Herman Wright and Larry Ridley. Including over 2 hours from the original radio broadcasts with host Alan Grant, the deluxe 2-CD set is mastered by Matthew Lutthans and comes with a multi-page booklet containing previously unpublished photos taken at the Half Note by Raymond Ross; plus a new essay from acclaimed journalist and author Bill Milkowski; interviews with jazz legends Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter, who both recorded with Wes; guitar icons Bill Frisell and Mike Stern; plus bassist Marcus Miller, who is Wynton Kelly’s cousin! 2023 marks Wes Montgomery’s Centennial (born March 6, 1923), and this is Resonance’s 7th release of Wes Montgomery recordings in cooperation with the estate. Now Wes Montgomery fans can hear the rest of the music from the Half Note that was only broadcast on the radio nearly 60 years ago.

I love Wes and am totally in on this.  Punt on the Craft reissue.

Edited by Eric

9 hours ago, tranemonk said:

So the Resonance stuff hasn't been released before??? The way I read the press release it sounded like some of it had been released previously. If it has, but not in the Smoking at the Half Note Live... then where was it released? Is this all new? I'm so confused.

When you look at Noal Cohen's disco you will find two previous issues, one European, one Japanese, both probably very hard to find. I never heard them.

13 hours ago, tranemonk said:

As Eric posted, "Maximum Swing: The Unissued 1965 Half Note Recordings is the first official release of the complete previously unissued recordings from jazz guitar giant Wes Montgomery with the Wynton Kelly Trio at the famed Half Note jazz club...

I believe tranemonk is correct. Some tracks have been previously issued, albeit not authorized. "Maximum Swing" contains all of the radio broadcasts in one authorized release. Based on Resonance's track record and the quality of the bandcamp track "Four On Six", I think this will be a very enjoyable album, especially for us Wes-heads.

CD Track Listing:
CD 1
(Sept. 24, 1965)
1. Laura (6:57)
2. Cariba (8:47
3. Blues (3:19

* Paul Chambers, bass
(Nov. 5, 1965)
4. Impressions (6:04)
5. Mi Cosa (3:33)
6. No Blues (5:39)
* Ron Carter, bass
(Nov. 12, 1965)
7. Birks’ Works (5:56)
8. Four On Six (8:25)
9. The Theme (1:34)
* Larry Ridley, bass

CD 2
(Nov. 19, 1965)
1. All The Things You Are
2. I Remember You (7:11)
3. No Blues (2:44)
* Herman Wright, bass
(Late 1965)
4. Cherokee (10:39)
5. The Song Is You (16:18)
6. Four On Six (10:45)
7. Star Eyes (15:31)
8. Oh, You Crazy Moon (4:27)
* Larry Ridley, bass

Wes Montgomery – guitar
Wynton Kelly – piano
Jimmy Cobb – drums
*Bass players are identified for each set

Recorded at the Half Note jazz club in New York, NY in 1965

Edited by sonnymax

Frankly, this looks like an amazing release.  Not to disparage Coltrane or Impulse, but would rather hear prime Wes with solid sound versus less than great sounding Trane in Seattle or at the Village Gate.  I am no audiophile, but I like to hear tone and balance and clarity and the Wes seems to have that!

21 hours ago, tranemonk said:

You and me both!

2 hours ago, sgcim said:

You and me both!

Jazz On Jazz (Eu.) CD244555 — Wes Montgomery & The Wynton Kelly Trio: The Unissued 1965 Half Note Broadcasts   (2013)

Toko (Jpn.) CDWM 94-12 — Wes Montgomery: Smokin' Guitar   

Once more: Look at Noal Cohen's discography I linked above. He did excellent work.

I’m probably the only person here who just doesn’t connect with Wes at all — and I mean hardly in the slightest. :ph34r:

The fault is mine own, but I have nothing but a lot of respect for him, and I can’t think of any specific criticisms I have of his playing or approach. He’s just never clicked with me is all, I guess.

1 minute ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’m probably the only person here who just doesn’t connect with Wes at all — and I mean hardly in the slightest. :ph34r:

The fault is mine own, but I have nothing but a lot of respect for him, and I can’t think of any specific criticisms I have of his playing or approach. He’s just never clicked with me is all, I guess.

I am not a fanatic about his playing myself which is why I am not so excited as some about this release ... if I get it will be because of Wynton Kelly.

Wes made a lot of jazzified popular music which I am mostly indifferent toward.  He became a musical celebrity and they were trying to make some money out of it, which I get.  But when he plays real jazz he is truly great, IMO.  His single note soloing is harmonically more advanced than most guitar players IMO.  I need to fill in my Wes M collection some more.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 9:03 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Confession is good for the soul...😁

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sonnymax said:

There's quite a difference between the sound of this reissue and my DCC gold CD. I suck at adjectives, but I'm going to say louder, brighter, wider and more revealing. Possibly too much? I'll be interested in hearing other people's impressions.

Vinyl or CD?  Thank-you.