Record Store Day - April 2024

Brad

Count me in for the CD releases of both the Cannonball sets, especially the 1972.  I'm a soft "no" (maybe could be persuaded at some price point) on the McDuff (repertoire is uninspiring, as is the lack of ID for some of the musicians) and the Mann (Ruth Price vocals on the 1966 date, not familiar with her).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

The Chet Baker/Jack Sheldon seems like an odd choice. I guess Chet sells...? I noticed other records with these guys included a big band with Land, Pepper, etc. which seemed way more intriguing. 

AFAICT, Chet is extremely popular with the vinyl crowd that buys premium releases. I visit another forum with a lot of vinyl fans who post their listening, and Chet is in heavy rotation there.

The two Craft releases, if history is any guide, will not be released in cd. I’m sure we all have Bill Evans anyway. This is the  Craft description for The Freedom Sound: The People Arise:

“The cratediggers of Jazz Dispensary are proud to present a collection of jams propelled by the spirit of nature, protest, and freedom, featuring songs from pioneering musicians Joe Henderson, Gary Bartz, Ran Blake, Azar Lawrence, A.K. Salim, and The Dungills. Pressed on Freedom Blue Swirl vinyl. “

Maybe it’s me but I’m not a fan of colored vinyl. 

The Mal is a definite buy for me. The Cannonballs maybe. That was a great period with great bands. The 1972 contains some of the Black Messiah material without the annoying singer/guitar player. Definitely interested. Also in doubt about the Art Tatum box. Like Chuck also mentioned: I do have a lot Tatum and not sure these will anything really new. Sampling first.

19 minutes ago, Brad said:

Maybe it’s me but I’m not a fan of colored vinyl. 

I'm not either, going back to the days of Dave Mason's great 'Alone Together' album with the goofy marbleized vinyl and creepy cut-out cover (but wonderful music).

image.jpeg.4b3e7fe1e9930c2f83a7ac6f8026bb58.jpeg

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Ruth Price's presence will likely not be a bad thing! Her Contemporary LP with Manne and His Men is quite good, and her album with Johnny Smith is excellent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Price

Thanks Lon and @JSngry , I stand corrected and educated on the Manne and will look for it.  She is a strong vocalist!

11 hours ago, felser said:

Count me in for the CD releases of both the Cannonball sets, especially the 1972.  I'm a soft "no" (maybe could be persuaded at some price point) on the McDuff (repertoire is uninspiring, as is the lack of ID for some of the musicians) and the Mann (Ruth Price vocals on the 1966 date, not familiar with her).

In for Cannonball as well.  I will probably go for the McDuff, esp if there are sound samples on Bandcamp.  I love the artwork on the cover.  Yeah I am a sucker for that stuff 😂

11 minutes ago, Eric said:

In for Cannonball as well.  I will probably go for the McDuff, esp if there are sound samples on Bandcamp.  I love the artwork on the cover.  Yeah I am a sucker for that stuff 😂

Let me know if you find a Bandcamp link. I haven't been able to. The Tatum and Sonny are up for preorder, which I did.

More Sun Ra on the way:

STRUT288LP - Sun Ra - Inside The Light World: Sun Ra Meets The OVC

Introducing a musical treasure from the enigmatic Sun Ra's expansive discography, Strut Records proudly presents "Inside The Light World: Sun Ra Meets The OVC”. This extraordinary album unveils previously unreleased recordings from the year 1986 for the very first time, showcasing a unique chapter in the Sun Ra catalogue, officially released for Record Store Day 2024.

https://strut-records.co.uk/blogs/news/rsd-record-store-day

STRUT288_STRUT288LP_Artwork_480x480.jpg?v=1708073752

I am so confused by what Zev Feldman is doing. I'm sure there are good reasons but it's confusing me. The upcoming RSD releases we've talked about in other threads (2 2cd sets Cannonball, Mal Waldron-Steve Lacy, and the Yuseef Lateef have all been posted to the Elemental Records Bandcamp site. (link below). It's European which significantly increases the cost of shipping the physical CDs.

https://elementalmusicrecords.bandcamp.com/album/mal-waldron-steve-lacy-the-mighty-warriors-live-in-antwerp?from=fanpub_fnb

https://elementalmusicrecords.bandcamp.com/album/yusef-lateef-quartet-the-1972-avignon-concert

https://elementalmusicrecords.bandcamp.com/album/cannonball-adderley-poppin-in-paris-live-at-lolympia-1972

https://elementalmusicrecords.bandcamp.com/album/cannonball-adderley-burnin-in-bordeaux-live-in-france-1969

The Jazz Detective label which has many of the same releases but domestic versions/prices doesn't list any of them.

https://jazz-detective.bandcamp.com/

The domestic versions of his prior sets are cheaper in part because of the shipping. Does anyone understand why he's got these two sites?

Also one pet peeve of mine... is that at least one of the Cannonball and several of his prior Jamal sets could have fit on one physical CD. Isn't it cheaper to produce and sell one CD vs two CD sets?

I mean I'm very happy he's getting this stuff out with regularity but I'm very confused about the different labels, prices, and CD strategies. Can anyone clue me in?

11 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'd much rather have the Lacy/Waldron on CD and that probably goes for the Yusef also.

CD is only way I'll buy them.

Edited by felser

3 hours ago, Adam said:

And Ruth has been the director of the Jazz BAkery in Los Angeles for many a year.

IIRC she was married to a great disc jockey who was responsible for taping Garner's Concert by the Sea.  I heard him once broadcasting the origins of much of Sketches of Spain.  Forget his name right now. 

Here’s a list of cd releases. 

Cannonball Adderley Burnin' In Bordeaux: Live in France 1969 - Elemental Music (CD)
Cannonball Adderley Poppin' In Paris: Live At L'Olympia 1972 - Elemental Music (CD)
Chet Baker/Jack Sheldon In Perfect Harmony: The Lost Album - Jazz Detective (CD)
Brother Jack McDuff Ain't No Sunshine - Reel To Real (CD)
Nat King Cole Live At The Blue Note Chicago - Iconic Artists Group (CD)
Yusef Lateef Atlantis Lullaby: The Concert From Avignon -Elemental Music (CD)
Shelly Manne Jazz From The Pacific Northwest - Reel To Real (CD)
Sonny Rollins Freedom Weaver: The 1959 European Tour Recordings - Resonance (CD)
Sun Ra Pink Elephants on Parade - Modern Harmonic (CD)
Art Tatum Jewels In The Treasure Box: The 1953 Chicago Blue Jazz Club Recordings - Resonance (CD)
Mal Waldron/Steve Lacy The Mighty Warrior: Live In Antwerp - Elemental Music (CD)

The two Craft issues, based on previous history, will not be released in cd although I’m sure many of us have the Bill Evans. 

The Pike disc has been previously reissued on cd but it’s been awhile.