Bobby Hutcherson Boxed Set

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Select was later material.  This new box is 1963-1970, the Select is 1974-1977.  Both have wonderful music, but the new set is the cream of the crop.  Though I don't plan to get it as I already own all the music on individual CD's (my preference over Mosaic boxes - I like the original artwork of BN's to more fully recreate the original experience).

15 minutes ago, felser said:

The Select was later material.  This new box is 1963-1970, the Select is 1974-1977.  Both have wonderful music, but the new set is the cream of the crop.  Though I don't plan to get it as I already own all the music on individual CD's (my preference over Mosaic boxes - I like the original artwork of BN's to more fully recreate the original experience).

Has the entire set been released on CD? I know I have three of them (Medina, The Kicker, and Happenings) but I don't remember all of them being released on cd.

I ordered the set within minutes of receiving the email.  I have the individual CDs and some of it on original LP but it will be great to have it all with consistent mastering.  I know 7 CDs is Mosaic's sweet spot but I would've still been in if it was 9CDs and covered 1963-1971 and included Now! and Head On.

I believe the only sessions to not get the Mosaic treatment across the two boxes are the aforementioned Now! and Head On, as well as Natural Illusions, Montreux, Linger Lane and Montara.  

10 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Has the entire set been released on CD? I know I have three of them (Medina, The Kicker, and Happenings) but I don't remember all of them being released on cd.

Yes, all in the US. I have them all as well, so I don’t think I will be getting this either. It always surprised me they didn’t do this one in the 90s before some of these were reissued, it would’ve been major. But I’m likewise glad Michael committed to getting all of this music released into the general market. 

On the fence here, have all the CDs.  I did not buy the Sonny Clark for the same reason.  I do like the Bobby stuff more, so maybe I will purchase.  The sound and the booklet are the draw.

Edited by Eric

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

On the fence here, have all the CDs.  I did not buy the Sonny Clark for the same reason.  I do like the Bobby stuff more, so maybe I will purchase.  The sound and the booklet are the draw.

Same here.  I think I'll pass, not least because the last experience between heavy shipping costs and then getting hit with heavy custom/import fees really soured me on the whole experience.

I don't own copies of Stick Up and The Kicker. I have all the others on CD except Total Eclipse (French reissue LP). I will pass, just as the Hubbard and Clark and Henderson boxes. My collection already is too big.

Edited by mikeweil

Pre-ordered as well.

Actually, I mistakenly ordered 2 copies because I did not think that my original order had gone through since, after submitting my online order, an error message asked me to click on the "Create an account" box. I then went back and re-ordered. I called my cc company and, unfortunately, they confirmed 2 charges. I left an online message for Mosaic to cancel, and refund my cc, for the erroneous order. Hopefully they will do so promptly.

I am looking forward to this set!

4 hours ago, dougcrates said:

I believe the only sessions to not get the Mosaic treatment across the two boxes are the aforementioned Now! and Head On, as well as Natural Illusions, Montreux, Linger Lane and Montara.  

Which combined may have made a nice Select, though the half of them are various degrees of fluff (with Natural Illusions being the nadir).  I'm not really fond of Head On as originally released, but some of the CD bonus material is outstanding.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have everything too except the previously unissued seven tracks. I pre-ordered.

One unissued tune and seven unissued alternate takes (don't have details past that).  Can't justify the price tag for that (though I would buy a single CD with all that on it).   Cash, shelf space, and listening time are finite resources.

51 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Oh wow, didn't read that fat into the blurb.

Pre-ordered as well.

Nor did I.  Falling off the fence …

I get why they left Now off, but I like it.  It isn’t ALL vocals and I kind of like them.

I'm curious why the "Now" tunes that were recorded in 1969 were omitted. Those would be the first five songs on the 2004 release of "Now" that also includes some live material from 1977.   

The set is not sold as complete - with these omissions the reason for that AFAIK.  I know that the vocals would not be everyone's cup of tea, but the music on those songs is very strong IMO.

This box seems intriguing.  I'm actually not a fan of BN's more cerebral releases, in which I include Hutcherson's Happenings.  I also own downloads of Medina and Spiral, and Patterns on a Japanese CD.  Having said that, sometimes a box set can force a reevaluation and lend a new perspective.  I'll think about it.

1 hour ago, felser said:

One unissued tune and seven unissued alternate takes (don't have details past that). 

They are listed in the Discography section on the release page. The new title is "Photon in a Paper World", a composition which appeared on a Stanley Cowell album from that time.

Somehow, I was not surprised that there weren't any alternates from the Total Eclipse session, which would have been the most exciting to me. There's a certain atmosphere to that session which I'm always attracted by.

Edited by Daniel A

2 hours ago, pglbook said:

Pre-ordered as well.

Actually, I mistakenly ordered 2 copies because I did not think that my original order had gone through since, after submitting my online order, an error message asked me to click on the "Create an account" box. I then went back and re-ordered. I called my cc company and, unfortunately, they confirmed 2 charges. I left an online message for Mosaic to cancel, and refund my cc, for the erroneous order. Hopefully they will do so promptly.

I am looking forward to this set!

Better mail Scott personally: Mosaic mail

4 hours ago, felser said:

Which combined may have made a nice Select, though the half of them are various degrees of fluff (with Natural Illusions being the nadir). 

I seem to be an outlier in today's world about this, but for me it's Montara that is the nadir. A very canned record it seems to me.

A real "Latin-Jazz" record by Hutch would have been a delight.

I went back and forth on how I liked the Select, so I've never picked up the 60s things. Recently, though, I listened to the Select again and liked it, so I'm in on this one. Pre-ordered.