jazzbo

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, jazzbo said:

Looks as if it's going to be an amazing set.

Indeed! Scott had mentioned it to me a couple of months ago, but had asked me not to post anything about it… considerable self-restraint has been required since then! Iirc a number of us have listed some sort of Byas set on our Mosaic wish-list posts throughout the years. Lots of unreleased material too.

Pre-ordered without delay-I love the Mosaic multilabel tenor sax giant sets:  Illinois Jacquet, Chu Berry, Coleman Hawkins, and Lester Young.  

I was a bit disappointed to read this:

The following Don Byas sessions of 1944-46 are not included in this set as they are under ownership of various parent labels:
Albert Ammons and his Rhythm Kings (Commodore – February 12, 1944)
Coleman Hawkins and his Orchestra (Apollo – February 16 and 22, 1944)
Eddie Heywood and his Orchestra (Signature – May 2, 1944)
Coleman Hawkins and his Sax Ensemble (Keynote – May 24, 1944)
Mary Lou Williams and her Orchestra (Asch – June 5, 1944)
“Hot Lips” Page and his Orchestra (Commodore – September 29, 1944)
Trummy Young and his Orchestra (Signature – December 4, 1944)
Cozy Cole’s Orchestra (Keynote – February 2, 1945)
Esquire All American 1946 Award Winners (RCA Victor–January 10 & 11, 1946)
Dizzy Gillespie and his Orchestra (RCA Victor – February 22, 1946)
Teddy Wilson Octet (Musicraft – August 19, 1946)
Tyree Glenn and his Orchestra/Don Byas and his Orchestra/Peanuts Holland and his Orchestra (Swing – December 4, 1946)

18 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

The following Don Byas sessions of 1944-46 are not included in this set as they are under ownership of various parent labels:

But on the other hand I was excited to read this:

The Savoy and National sessions which are owned by the Concord Music Group

Hasn't it been said before "that's owned by Concord now and they won't deal with Mosaic"? If that is changing ...

Edited by Dan Gould

16 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

But on the other hand I was excited to read this:

The Savoy and National sessions which are owned by the Concord Music Group

Hasn't it been said before "that's owned by Concord now and they won't deal with Mosaic"? If that is changing ...

I caught that too! It would indeed be wonderful if Mosaic could dig into THAT treasure!!  

10 CDs - wow! Since I have most of what will be left off and have rather little of what's included, I will try to save up the funds for it, once Jazz Messengers offer it. 

What always drives me mad about these sets is when they omit a track just because the musician featured didn't play on it, like the one track from the Dizzy Gillespie session. I think they should keep such important sessions complete.

Edited by mikeweil

42 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

10 CDs - wow! Since I have most of what will be left off and have rather little of what's included, I will try to save up the funds for it, once Jazz Messengers offer it. 

What always drives me mad about these sets is when they omit a track just because the musician featured didn't play on it, like the one track from the Dizzy Gillespie session. I think they should keep such important sessions complete.

Yeah there were spots in the Basie Columbia discography where they left things out because Lester Young didn't play.  I suppose every additional disk reduces sales numbers so they have to strike a balance, esp when the set is already 10 disks...

2 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Pre-ordered without delay-I love the Mosaic multilabel tenor sax giant sets:  Illinois Jacquet, Chu Berry, Coleman Hawkins, and Lester Young.  

Albert Ammons and his Rhythm Kings (Commodore – February 12, 1944)
Coleman Hawkins and his Orchestra (Apollo – February 16 and 22, 1944)
Eddie Heywood and his Orchestra (Signature – May 2, 1944)
Coleman Hawkins and his Sax Ensemble (Keynote – May 24, 1944)
Mary Lou Williams and her Orchestra (Asch – June 5, 1944)
“Hot Lips” Page and his Orchestra (Commodore – September 29, 1944)
Trummy Young and his Orchestra (Signature – December 4, 1944)
Cozy Cole’s Orchestra (Keynote – February 2, 1945)
Esquire All American 1946 Award Winners (RCA Victor–January 10 & 11, 1946)
Dizzy Gillespie and his Orchestra (RCA Victor – February 22, 1946)
Teddy Wilson Octet (Musicraft – August 19, 1946)
Tyree Glenn and his Orchestra/Don Byas and his Orchestra/Peanuts Holland and his Orchestra (Swing – December 4, 1946)

I did not feel like checking all the LPs where these recordings will hide, but unless my memory fails me gravely on this, I think I have something like 95% of the above on vinyl so I am cool with these omissions.
One more reason in favor of that set.

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Yes, that's very annoying. Particularly so if the omission is not even because the musician featured elsewhere is not present at all but only because he does not SOLO.
And in this case here it sometimes says "Limited solo participation" by Byas. Pity ...
But I guess, with space constraints being what they are you cannot have 'em all. 🤨
Ah, long gone are the days when fans and reissuers drooled about a recording of a run-of-the-mill dance band just because it included 8 bars of solo by Bix or Tram. :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve