Call for donations (aka sorry for the downtime)

Friends,

I apologize for the extended downtime. To be blunt, the server went down because I didn't pay the bill. This time of year is the absolute worst for me financially and frankly I just didn't have the money to pay it. I should've come here sooner and reminded everyone about donations, because it's been months since I've received one. But I've been working 12-16 hours a day on repair projects, trying to make some money.

Member Dan Gould paid for this month and to him I'm very thankful.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, just letting everyone know the reality. As is the case everywhere, the price to run this place has gone up slightly. My server fees are $138 per month and the license to use the forum software doubled from $99 a year to $199 a year. I haven't paid that yet. So in total it's $1855 a year to keep the lights on.

I wish I could get the Donations tab working again. I'll look into that some more. That was nice when it was working. Anyway, my PayPal is b3groover@hotmail.com

Thanks!

I'm a member of a football forum and they offer an annual subscription for people who don't want ads while they surf the forums. I think it's $20/year and they offer an option to automatically charge you credit card for you. I & many others choose this and that forum has never had to have any fundraisers. Just a thought...

1 minute ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I'm a member of a football forum and they offer an annual subscription for people who don't want ads while they surf the forums. I think it's $20/year and they offer an option to automatically charge you credit card for you. I & many others choose this and that forum has never had to have any fundraisers. Just a thought...

That's a great idea. I'll see if this forum software supports that.

Just now, Jim Alfredson said:

When one becomes a forum supporter, they get a banner under their avatar. We used to get a small thank you gift from the team's pro shop, but that only happened for the first few years.

I think the reason it works is because it is completely voluntary and simple in its implementation. I don't know that "no ads" is what you want as the benefit here, but you might be able to come up with something like maybe a free song download or two. It's way better than footing the bill yourself if the donations don't keep coming in.

As it seems to be not easily doable to re-install the donate button which mirrors the financial needs/shortfall, why not start a monthly posting via a specific thread "Financial Situation" by Jim about the actual status quo at that time .... 

16 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Jim - in my profile at that forum, there's a button for "Account Upgrades". When I click on that, I see options for subscriptions. Maybe this forum software offers that? The forum that offers this uses XenForo not Invision though.

19 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

$ 20.00 is very reasonable. I could afford it.

If the software supports it and Jim brings it on, do we have 93 members willing to pay $20 per year?  It isn't much but I don't think we have 93 people who post regularly.  Lurkers would need to pony up.  Not sure how much of a Free Rider problem we'd have.

A football forum is a bit different, I think, from this one.