Big Beat Steve Posted May 14 Posted May 14 5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said: Curious if any members are returning beer bottles and pop cans to buy this set. You mean to say you're wondering if some members would be prepared to put their mother-in-law in hock in order to afford this set? Quote
J.A.W. Posted May 14 Posted May 14 18 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said: Thigpen's drums and Brown's bass are really nice and clear on the samples. Looking forward to this. Curious that they are only putting out 2500 of these. I guess they don't see much of a market? Or perhaps their license is limited to 2,500. Quote
Pim Posted May 14 Posted May 14 His best group imo. Well maybe I prefer the MPS group with Sam Jones even more. Quote
J.A.W. Posted May 14 Posted May 14 Not really an OP fan, and I prefer his trios with Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis. Hoping for a set with the trio with Ellis someday. Quote
felser Posted May 14 Posted May 14 I like OP, but own the majority of this on old Verve CD's, and can't justify the cost of the upgrade (same with their many BN boxes of recent years - I prefer BN's with original artwork and track listings anyways, better to recreate the magic of the time and place). But I'm sure it's a nice set. Quote
clifford_thornton Posted May 14 Posted May 14 6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said: You mean to say you're wondering if some members would be prepared to put their mother-in-law in hock in order to afford this set? I'll keep my mother-in-law, thanks. Quote
felser Posted May 14 Posted May 14 1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said: I'll keep my mother-in-law, thanks. Well, that would make an interesting poll, wouldn't it? Quote
tranemonk Posted May 14 Posted May 14 The more I think about this.. (and go through what I have), the more I may skip it. I think I have a lot of this already.. but need to scrutinize more... Quote
mikeweil Posted May 15 Posted May 15 12 hours ago, tranemonk said: The more I think about this.. (and go through what I have), the more I may skip it. Similar thoughts here. I only have a not really good sounding Spanish Polygram CD of Night Train. Somehow his trio does not thrill me nearly as much as Ahmad Jamal or others. I was given the recent LP reissue of the MPS album as a gift, it sounds really great, but still ..... I can't spend so much any longer, so I may rather get me the Vanguard sets. Quote
jazzbo Posted May 15 Posted May 15 If I didn't have the Vanguard sets I would certainly prioritize those, excellent sets. Quote
Lino22 Posted May 15 Posted May 15 (edited) 6 hours ago, jazzbo said: If I didn't have the Vanguard sets I would certainly prioritize those, excellent sets. I second that recommendation. The Vanguard sets are incredibly amazing sets. Great music all around. Especially the Piano set with Mel Powell. As good as Peterson is, Powell is hard to beat. Edited May 15 by Lino22 Word choice Quote
tranemonk Posted May 15 Posted May 15 1 hour ago, Lino22 said: I second that recommendation. The Vanguard sets are incredibly amazing sets. Great music all around. Especially the Piano set with Mel Powell. As good as Peterson is, Powell is hard to beat. What Vanguard sets are we talking about now? I'm confused. Quote
Lino22 Posted May 15 Posted May 15 21 minutes ago, tranemonk said: What Vanguard sets are we talking about now? I'm confused. These 2 from Mosaic. They are excellent. Some of the best 1950's jazz records. https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/classic-vanguard-piano-sessions-limited-edition-box-set-281-6-cds/ https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/classic-vanguard-small-group-swing-sessions-limited-edition-box-set/ Quote
Gheorghe Posted May 17 Posted May 17 I am the last one if it´s about fan of Oscar Peterson, but the few I can listen to is with Brown and Thigpen, where he is not so overwhelming. Night Train and We Get requests is more spare, more inside music than just banging all then 88 keys Quote
david weiss Posted May 26 Posted May 26 (edited) On 5/13/2026 at 12:52 PM, jazzbo said: I think that a qualifying line is missing, i.e. that the cds listed contain material that was not out on the original LPS. I think only 3 of the LPs listed have themselves not been out on cd, maybe only 2. I was told to that for the album index, you list the album or CD where the material first appeared. Outside of the 3 LP compilation, "The Greatest Names in Jazz" that contained one Peterson track that was not previously (or subsequently) released anywhere else (as far as I know) and the newly discovered bonus material, everything has been on CD somewhere except the track that was on "I/We Had a Ball" (again, as far as I know) Edited May 26 by david weiss Quote
david weiss Posted May 26 Posted May 26 On 5/13/2026 at 5:56 PM, mhatta said: Almost all of these have been released on CD (at least in Japan) and are available for digital download. It seems a few previously unreleased bonus tracks have been added, but I wonder how much the sound quality has actually improved? Personally, these are my favorite Oscar Peterson albums. I think We Get Requests, Night Train, and West Side Story are well-known, but The Oscar Peterson Trio Plays in particular is a hidden gem—it’s wonderful. The groove on Shiny Stockings is especially great! The Sinatra songs and Jazz Soul are a bit understated for Peterson, but that’s what makes them so good—he doesn’t overplay them. Con Alma from the latter album is a personal favorite. Canadian Suite, which showcases his compositional skills, is also excellent. While I feel the MPS recordings have become a bit flashy and clichéd in their performance style, they do a great job of capturing the beauty of Peterson’s piano sound. There is previously unreleased version of Con Alma on this set that was actually recorded during the Porgy & Bess session that I personally like a little better than the version that is on the Jazz Soul. Most of the newly discovered material here comes from the Porgy & Bess session. Quote
John Tapscott Posted May 26 Posted May 26 It is almost impossibly expensive for Canadians to purchase Mosaic sets these days, with the exchange rate, taxes, duties and package fees. Take the price in U.S. funds and nearly double it in Canadian funds. So I'm not ordering this set, but for those who do, listen well to the Affinity session. It is very good IMO. Quote
romualdo Posted June 16 Posted June 16 ordered yesterday & my box is already on the way to Australia (via Fedex) Quote
gmonahan Posted June 19 Posted June 19 I got a "note added to your order" email, so I imagine the set is on its way west. Quote
jazzbo Posted June 19 Posted June 19 Well in my experience it means an order has been prepared and assigned a tracking number and "soon" will be delivered to the post office for mailing and delivery. That is how my order status is now. In the past it has taken as long as a week or more for the package to be handed over to the shipping service. Quote
gmonahan Posted June 19 Posted June 19 1 hour ago, jazzbo said: Well in my experience it means an order has been prepared and assigned a tracking number and "soon" will be delivered to the post office for mailing and delivery. That is how my order status is now. In the past it has taken as long as a week or more for the package to be handed over to the shipping service. We'll see, Lon. I don't seem to get actual shipping notices anymore, just those "note added" emails! I guess I'll take comfort in the fact that *something* is happening with it. Quote
jazzbo Posted June 19 Posted June 19 Yes, I often don't get shipping notices either, but I can log into my Mosaic "Account" and check the status, revealing the tracking number and using that to see where the package is. My order status on the website went from "Processing" and "package not yet received" via the tracking yesterday, to "Completed" and "Package accepted" via the tracking number today. No delivery date yet. Quote
Stompin at the Savoy Posted June 19 Posted June 19 The Post Office in Wallingford, CT received my package and it is in Package Acceptance Pending Status. So it will probably take a week or so to get to my little corner of Oregon. Quote
gmonahan Posted June 19 Posted June 19 6 minutes ago, Stompin at the Savoy said: The Post Office in Wallingford, CT received my package and it is in Package Acceptance Pending Status. So it will probably take a week or so to get to my little corner of Oregon. My corner of Oregon is a bit bigger, but I don't imagine it'll get here any quicker! Quote
Ken Dryden Posted June 19 Posted June 19 I have to admit I like Oscar with Joe Pass and Niels Pedersen a lot. I feel that they push each other as much as the trio with Herb Ellis and Ray Brown. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.