Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Back around 1995 I was just getting into Mosaic sets.  I had bought the big Andrew Hill set and one or two others.  I called up Mosaic to order the Serge Chaloff cd set but was told it was sold out.  So I ordered the Lee Morgan 50's set instead.  The other day I came across the Serge Chaloff set for about what it would have cost new and purchased it.  It arrived today and I am on the second disk.  Really enjoying it! 35922803684.jpg

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

I reluctantly settled for cd quality downloads of the Coleman Hawkins set from Presto.  I checked it out a bit on spotify and got tired of those ads.  Enjoying the set.  It covers so much time and development in the music.  1200x1200bf-60.jpg

I have a partial of that set, 2 of the CDs I think. Just that little bit made me regret not buying the box while it was in stock/print. Now prices are a bit prohibitive, so the download sounds like a great option 

42 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I have a partial of that set, 2 of the CDs I think. Just that little bit made me regret not buying the box while it was in stock/print. Now prices are a bit prohibitive, so the download sounds like a great option 

Presto has the set in four pieces, each of which corresponds exactly to two disks from the original set.  $26 each for cd quality and I think $20 for mp3.  (Always better to get the cd quality imo). Depending on which cds you already have you might be able to get the rest of the set by buying three downloads.  The discography is here: http://web.archive.org/web/20120303081131/http://www.mosaicrecords.com/discography.asp?number=251-MD-CD&price=$136.00&copies=8 CDs

22 minutes ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Presto has the set in four pieces, each of which corresponds exactly to two disks from the original set.  $26 each for cd quality and I think $20 for mp3.  (Always better to get the cd quality imo). Depending on which cds you already have you might be able to get the rest of the set by buying three downloads.  The discography is here: http://web.archive.org/web/20120303081131/http://www.mosaicrecords.com/discography.asp?number=251-MD-CD&price=$136.00&copies=8 CDs

Great, thanks!

Primary

Held off on buying this for a long time because I worried it would be too much (too early, too tinny sounding, more dance music than substance), but I've really been enjoying big band and decided to pull the trigger on a good Ebay price. It's really outstanding, and now I'm just coasting around Duke's entire library - the band was great at all stages! I love how my jazz palette has expanded over the years, starting with an old Art of Pepper CD my parents bought me in HS to bebop, hard bop and then backward to Louis and traditional and swing. I remember scrolling XM years ago and passing through the 40s station as a novelty - now it's primarily what I listen to in the car, lol! Ain't life grand? I look forward to continuing the journey.

On 5/17/2024 at 12:42 PM, Bob_Bobson said:

Primary

Held off on buying this for a long time because I worried it would be too much (too early, too tinny sounding, more dance music than substance), but I've really been enjoying big band and decided to pull the trigger on a good Ebay price. It's really outstanding, and now I'm just coasting around Duke's entire library - the band was great at all stages! I love how my jazz palette has expanded over the years, starting with an old Art of Pepper CD my parents bought me in HS to bebop, hard bop and then backward to Louis and traditional and swing. I remember scrolling XM years ago and passing through the 40s station as a novelty - now it's primarily what I listen to in the car, lol! Ain't life grand? I look forward to continuing the journey.

Great post.