ghost of miles

Mosaic's Black and White label box set

164 posts in this topic

Leaning against it.

Excellent project, credit to Mosaic Lotta material that attracts, but vocals appeal less and the sticker price is significant. Will preorder for the discount if I go for it, but that'll be a decision for late May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Do you have the Bee Hive box? (I think it’s the only label-retrospective of theirs that I have)

Yes-most definitely!  That was one of those great Mosaic box sets where I had none of the music in my collection before I got the set.  I am particularly fond of the HRS box, and the Capitol Records box is not far behind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered the Black & White set as soon as I saw the email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Enough material in that box to trigger my interest.

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hip Chicks!!! sold me

bit of Lucky Thompson there too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I pre-ordered the set. Fills some gaps in my collection, sound quality is always excellent, liner notes should be good, and I support Mosaic...

Edited by hopkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now pre-ordered.  Looking forward to doing a Night Lights show based around this set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the sort of set that Mosaic does so well and is a great service to the music. Ordered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Clunky said:

This is the sort of set that Mosaic does so well and is a great service to the music. Ordered

+1. This is why Mosaic needs to survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the first Mosaic set Scott (Wenzel) has produced?  (Forgive me if I'm overlooking any of his prior production credits.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

No. He's co-produced a number of sets before. He is one of three co-producers of the latest Armstrong.

Edited by jazzbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the fence with this one as I'm not familiar with a lot of the artists. Is there any streaming/digital stuff of these musicians that would give me a taste of what will be on box set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2022 at 10:44 PM, tranemonk said:

I'm on the fence with this one as I'm not familiar with a lot of the artists. Is there any streaming/digital stuff of these musicians that would give me a taste of what will be on box set?

The Earle Spencer material is on Spotify (as reissued by Fresh Sound). I've hear enough B&W 78s to know that I'll be an interesting voyage of discovery for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fresh Sound Spencer is on Apple too. Crazy that FS is the one that gets this music on an American streaming platform. Not sure that’s legal but interested parties can’t afford to sue these companies anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sample cuts are now on the Mosaic website.  They are FUNtastic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scooter_phx said:

The sample cuts are now on the Mosaic website.  They are FUNtastic.  

Yea I gave those a listen and I liked it more than I thought I would... This is presenting a dilemma.....:unsure::unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Yea I gave those a listen and I liked it more than I thought I would... This is presenting a dilemma.....:unsure::unsure:

Same here. I liked what I heard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2022 at 8:56 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Is this the first Mosaic set Scott (Wenzel) has produced?  (Forgive me if I'm overlooking any of his prior production credits.)

Iirc his first set was the Mildred Bailey back around 2000 or so--he's produced several dozen sets, actually!  And gotten three Grammy nominations, for the Bix/Tram/Teagarden collection, the Woody Herman Columbia box, and the Lester Young/Count Basie on Columbia set.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Iirc his first set was the Mildred Bailey back around 2000 or so--he's produced several dozen sets, actually!  And gotten three Grammy nominations, for the Bix/Tram/Teagarden collection, the Woody Herman Columbia box, and the Lester Young/Count Basie on Columbia set.   

Wow, I had no idea. That’s great to hear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And he's going to do a GREAT job on the Bill Barron set!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

And he's going to do a GREAT job on the Bill Barron set!!!!!

Can’t wait!!!!! :excited:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone preordered this? It looks like it hasn't shipped yet, right? I'm waffling on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pre-ordered it. . . no news on shipment yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tranemonk said:

Has anyone preordered this? It looks like it hasn't shipped yet, right? I'm waffling on this one.

Expected release date is May 31st. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2022 at 0:37 AM, miles65 said:

Expected release date is May 31st. 

Mosaic hasn't been on time with a release date since I don't know when. We'll see, but I wouldn't expect this one until the end of the summer. I'd be delighted to be wrong!

 

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.