Michael Cuscuna has died at 75

J.A.W.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kind of puzzled by him, because as a kid, I first knew of him as a Rock DJ on WABC-FM. When he switched to jazz, I was a little confused; same with Jonathan Schwartz. Ed Beach and Max Cole were jazz to me; what were these rock DJs doing getting involved with jazz? As a young cadet in the Jazz Police, I was suspicious.

Then, his name was on all these incredible reissues I was buying. He was cleared of all charges. RIP.

26 minutes ago, sgcim said:

I was kind of puzzled by him, because as a kid, I first knew of him as a Rock DJ on WABC-FM. When he switched to jazz, I was a little confused; same with Jonathan Schwartz. Ed Beach and Max Cole were jazz to me; what were these rock DJs doing getting involved with jazz? As a young cadet in the Jazz Police, I was suspicious.

Then, his name was on all these incredible reissues I was buying. He was cleared of all charges. RIP.

He was all over the place.  At that Mosaic open house, he pulled out a copy of "Buddy and the Juniors" on Blue Thumb: Buddy Guy, Junior Wells and Junior Mance.  He told me the backstory of the album (see https://www.allmusic.com/album/buddy-and-the-juniors-mw0000276271); he seemed pretty proud of it.  Over on the Hoffman boards, someone praised Cuscuna's production of Bonnie Raitt's "Give It Up."

Cuscuna was already a player before he got into the BN vaults. Woody Shaw, Anthony Braxton, Henry Threadgill... Arista, Muse... New music, new players. Not just reissues.

His kind of scope is going to be missed. I don't see it coming up in the ranks these days.  

The people who are left...we know who they are and we wish them continued health and maximum opportunity.

This was from Mosaic.

b01f8919-7769-f0d3-21b6-87391f3e8e79.jpg

Michael Cuscuna
1948 - 2024

Michael Cuscuna, a titan in the world of jazz, passed away on April 20, 2024, leaving behind a legacy that will resonate for generations.

Michael is survived by his wife Lisa, his children, Max and his wife Jackie, and Lauren, and two grandchildren, Nicolas and Penelope Cuscuna. His passing leaves a void in the hearts of all who knew him. May he rest in peace, and forever be remembered as he will be deeply missed.

Throughout his career, Michael possessed a curiosity for unearthing unissued jazz recordings, delving into the vaults of record labels looking for hidden gems. In 1975 his search led him to the great Blue Note vaults – unlocking a treasure of unissued material by the great jazz legends.

This experience would later be the impetus for co-founding Mosaic Records Inc, a boutique label specializing in complete sets of some of the most influential jazz artists. Mosaic Records, co-founded with Charles Lourie, produced hundreds of editions including works by Thelonious Monk, Sidney Bechet, Hank Mobley, John Coltrane, Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon, Art Blakey, Tina Brooks, The Nat King Cole Trio and Miles Davis.

Michael recently received a Lifetime Achievement Award from Downbeat and here is an excerpt of one of Michael’s last interviews this past January. (full interview here).

Born in Stamford, Connecticut, in 1948, Cuscuna first got into music at the age of 9 or 10. “It was contemporary R&B on the radio at first,” he recalled recently. “But I played drums on a little starter kit and got into drum records like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich on Verve, then Max Roach and Art Blakey. When I started to hear the music around the drums, that’s when I got completely hooked. I went through Benny Goodman, Dave Brubeck and the MJQ, until I caught up to what was going on around me around 1960.

“By age 14, I was going to Birdland, which had a peanut gallery. That’s when I heard Blakey and the Messengers, the Coltrane Quartet and Miles. They became my passion and still are. It’s the stuff that gets to you between about 12 and 25 that stays with you for life. You never absorb music in quite the same way after that.”

Many years ago, Woody Shaw said of Cuscuna, “No matter what you produce or do in your life, the thing you’ll be remembered for is rescuing all that Blue Note material.”

“Looking back all these years,” Cuscuna says today, “I’m content with that.”

5888a2f5-a4d8-b21c-6082-6ddf7f951243.jpg
I’ve known Michael for 25+ years since having the privilege of joining Mosaic Records. While many are aware of the legacy of riches he has catalogued for one of the greatest art forms, all of us who work or have worked at Mosaic also know him as a hard worker, generous and dedicated to his family.

Michael possessed an energetic spirit and drive that was infectious. When I look at the list of 200 sets for Mosaic plus all the Blue Note, Impulse and other recordings that Michael was instrumental in bringing to the public, it’s clear his passion for music drove his life-long ambitions. He was proud of his achievements while at the same time being very appreciative and grateful that he was working with many of the greatest jazz musicians and their body of work.

It's very hard for me to convey my feelings about someone I worked closely with every day, had many lunches with and was treated to innumerable special musical memories. I’ll miss a partner, a lunch-mate, and a special friend.

- Fred Pustay

======================================================

I can’t think of any better way to describe Michael than as my mentor. His guidance was immeasurable – filled with direction, leadership, knowledge, understanding, and of course, toss in some of that incredibly sarcastic wit and sense of humor. Michael knew, like his partner and close friend Charlie Lourie, how to run the business of a jazz re-issue label when there were few and far between such companies.

He also was a true family man. I saw and heard the love he unconditionally gave to his family. It was not uncommon to hear a heartfelt “I love you” at the end of a conversation to his wife Lisa, or to see and hear the love and dedication to his children, and then, in the past few years, the stories of his grandchildren who gave him immeasurable pleasure. 

Michael embraced my passion for jazz record collecting and after about a dozen years of managing the Mosaic warehouse he and Charlie gave me a job of producer, expanding the Mosaic catalog to include more pre-tape era boxed sets. I am ever in debt to the both of them.

And there are so many other Mosaic journeys in the past 36 years that I could impart to you, as I’m sure there are many others who knew him even better than I that could spin countless tales of this unique man.  Seek them out. Keep Michael in your heart and on your turntables, CD players or however else you listen to the music. And be grateful and thankful he was here on this planet.

- Scott Wenzel

663d1831-d0a6-1f8a-25e9-0aba34e871ba.jpg

Wayne Shorter, Dexter Gordon, Michael Cuscuna, Billy Higgins, Herbie Hancock, Palle Mikkelborg (or Mads Vinding) and Ron Carter. Studio Davout in Paris, 1985 during the making of ‘Round Midnight. (photo courtesy Michael Cuscuna)

“Jazz is still, for me, the greatest music ever – it just ate its way into my soul, and it became a part of every fabric of my body…

I remember once I was doing a record with Dexter Gordon at 30th Street called Gotham City, and Art Blakey was on drums. During the session Art looked at me and said, ‘Man, you remind me of [Blue Note Records co-founder] Alfred Lion.’ That was the greatest line I ever heard, you know?” -
Michael Cuscuna, JerryJazzMusician.com 

===============================================

Funeral arrangements are in process and will be held at the Bozak Funeral Home https://www.bosakfuneralhome.com/ in Stamford, CT.

Please check their site at end of day Monday when information should be available. There will also be a web page on their site where you can post on their tribute wall.

Visit Our Website
view this email in your browser
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr

open.php?u=92ffca5475330d84f78fa86b2&id=

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

43 minutes ago, mjzee said:

He was all over the place.  At that Mosaic open house, he pulled out a copy of "Buddy and the Juniors" on Blue Thumb: Buddy Guy, Junior Wells and Junior Mance.  He told me the backstory of the album (see https://www.allmusic.com/album/buddy-and-the-juniors-mw0000276271); he seemed pretty proud of it.

He was only 21 when he did that album!  And I'd love to hear the unreleased Vanguard Guy/Mance/Bartz album mentioned!

44 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

" It’s the stuff that gets to you between about 12 and 25 that stays with you for life. You never absorb music in quite the same way after that.”

So true ......

True in my case, but that spans from mid-1960's to late 1970's, an amazingly fertile period.

17 hours ago, BFrank said:

Just my small collection of Mosaic titles, but a lifetime of great music inside.

Thanks, Michael!

mosaic.jpg

I'm with you on this... I remember probably in the early 90s or late 80's reading a newspaper that had a review of the Jackie McLean boxed set. I had just started listening to jazz then and remember being like "mail order reissue boxed sets? Who does that? How?" From that moment I was hooked. He defined a lot of my adult listening. Like the artists he covered, he left behind a lot which I am grateful for.

15 hours ago, mikeweil said:

" It’s the stuff that gets to you between about 12 and 25 that stays with you for life. You never absorb music in quite the same way after that.”

So true ......

14 hours ago, felser said:

True in my case, but that spans from mid-1960's to late 1970's, an amazingly fertile period.

I think a lot depends on whether that age coincides with what is 'current' or not.

My discovery of jazz started at the tail end of that age frame, and blues/R&B mostly or almost entirely after.  And none of it was "fresh" except for the Young Lion recreations of older styles.

Chris Smither, yes, very good stuff. I also think it's Mads Vinding in the photo above. Side profile looks like him, not Mikkelborg.

And I agree, was lucky to be in the right time and place (teenager into early 20s) for the 90s independent rock scene/college radio which led me to people like William Parker, Matt Shipp, David S. Ware, and many others. All of that stuff was defining to me.

Edited by clifford_thornton

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

And none of it was "fresh" except for the Young Lion recreations of older styles.

And that was anti-fresh.  But they sure wore nice suits and hats.

image.jpeg.492057e3f62f38a3f6095c80c17f7644.jpeg

image.jpeg.2c690f5ae6252db08ed1f728e177cbd5.jpeg

18 hours ago, mjzee said:

He was all over the place.  At that Mosaic open house, he pulled out a copy of "Buddy and the Juniors" on Blue Thumb: Buddy Guy, Junior Wells and Junior Mance.  He told me the backstory of the album (see https://www.allmusic.com/album/buddy-and-the-juniors-mw0000276271); he seemed pretty proud of it.  Over on the Hoffman boards, someone praised Cuscuna's production of Bonnie Raitt's "Give It Up."

He should be as Buddy and the Juniors is an excellent recording.

21 hours ago, mjzee said:

He also mentioned in an interview that despite all his jazz activity, he still listened to and dug The Jefferson Airplane.

On 4/21/2024 at 6:59 PM, mikeweil said:

So true ......

RIP Sir

discovered jazz via the classics at 31 years old or so in 1991 or so

discovered freer end of jazz in the mid to late 90’s

discovering newer forms in greater levels of intensity via recordings and especially through live concerts on a very regular basis since 2009 or so. The pandemic was rough but this past 18 months I’ve been attending well over 10 shows a month and my mind continues to be affected like a young person’s mind. Open ears. 

I’m very uninterested in most of what I listened to in my younger years except for my rediscovery of The Grateful Dead circa 1967-78. Only Crimson, Can and some post punk stuff of my early years has any traction any longer for me.

much more excited to listen to Michael Foster, Chuck Roth, Sandy Ewen, Brandon Lopez, Mat Maneri, Tim Berne, Gerald Cleaver, Nate Wooley, Dave Rempis, Webb Crawford and a multitude of others creating music in the moment. Thoroughly exciting and when I’m good mentally and spiritually as deep as when I first heard Starless or Suppers Ready. 

fwiw my discovery of classic jazz especially miles monk trane and the blue notes etc was also very exciting at the time. Thank Michael for that for sure. 

Seeing Evan Parker circa 1998 at the knitting factory & Joe Maneri with his quartet at around the same time was even more revelatory for me. I knew there was something happening at that moment that didn’t exist previously. Same stuff still appearing. Different new music connected however obliquely to miles monk trane et al

5 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

RIP Sir

discovered jazz via the classics at 31 years old or so in 1991 or so

discovered freer end of jazz in the mid to late 90’s

discovering newer forms in greater levels of intensity via recordings and especially through live concerts on a very regular basis since 2009 or so. The pandemic was rough but this past 18 months I’ve been attending well over 10 shows a month and my mind continues to be affected like a young person’s mind. Open ears. 

I’m very uninterested in most of what I listened to in my younger years except for my rediscovery of The Grateful Dead circa 1967-78. Only Crimson, Can and some post punk stuff of my early years has any traction any longer for me.

much more excited to listen to Michael Foster, Chuck Roth, Sandy Ewen, Brandon Lopez, Mat Maneri, Tim Berne, Gerald Cleaver, Nate Wooley, Dave Rempis, Webb Crawford and a multitude of others creating music in the moment. Thoroughly exciting and when I’m good mentally and spiritually as deep as when I first heard Starless or Suppers Ready. 

fwiw my discovery of classic jazz especially miles monk trane and the blue notes etc was also very exciting at the time. Thank Michael for that for sure. 

Seeing Evan Parker circa 1998 at the knitting factory & Joe Maneri with his quartet at around the same time was even more revelatory for me. I knew there was something happening at that moment that didn’t exist previously. Same but new and vastly stuff still happening today. Different new music connected however obliquely to miles monk trane et al. I’ve seen dozens of sets of live music that transcended greatness over the past 15 years especially. Golden age of improvised music. The younger generations are destroying atoms. The grand masters like McPhee, Malaby, Torn, Rainey, Mat Maneri, Taborn, Wooley, Sylvie, Ingrid, etc plus The Brits I don’t get to see live, the euros are all so IN this music it’s hard to put into words how deep it affects me. 

5 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

duplicate 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I started listening to jazz in the 1990s, during the reissue era that Cuscuna himself ushered in.

At the time, those pastiche-Reid Miles style re-covered CD reissues of LT-era releases were everywhere.

It really shaped what I listened to and bought.

Cuscuna and his involvement in the LT series and beyond is a piece of jazz history that I would love to see explored in a detailed longform article. 

Anyway, RIP.

Cuscuna was all over the place.  I just received from Dusty Groove a used copy of Blakey's Drum Suite (Columbia).  Cuscuna produced the reissue, and there's a lengthy "Note On The Bonus Tracks" that is typical Cuscuna: covers everything important, readable and pithy, makes sense of a confusing bunch of tracks (Lil' T on this album was renamed to The Third on Byrd & Farmer's Two Trumpets on Prestige; The New Message was later renamed to Little T!), and never calls attention to the writer.  He will be missed.