Michael Cuscuna has died at 75

J.A.W.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So very sad to hear this. Going to take awhile to process this one. Talked to him on the phone a few times and did a long interview with him for a Night Lights program—he was very supportive of the show in general. Hard to imagine what the jazz record landscape of the 1970s through the 2000s would look like without his presence. (Especially the Blue Note part.)

Edited by ghost of miles

Blue Note Records  has confirmed that Cuscuna has died at age 75. Damn. He was a hero and a mensch. I had many interactions with Michael over the years and cherish them all. I always learned something from him. He supported my work and made it possible for me to use several Francis Wolff images in “Jazz from Detroit,” including the cover. A HUGE loss.

Terrible, terrible news.  When I went to that first Mosaic open house (5 years ago?), I noticed that Cuscuna smoked cigarettes; maybe that's how he got that radio voice.  What a huge positive contribution to jazz music and life in general.  RIP.

Sad news, but I think he lived a full life.  Rudy Van Gelder once said in an interview or something that he considered himself a messenger of jazz, and Cuscuna has been (at least to a generation like me who did not experience the golden age of modern jazz in real time) also a great messenger of jazz.  RIP.

Michael Cuscuna made a huge contribution even before he formed Mosaic Records with the late Charlie Lourie. His many accomplishments and success in creating some of the most treasured boxed sets in jazz history will be a great legacy.

He died far too young at 75.

RIP, grew up through my late teen years with his presence here in the Philly area, then thrilled to his work with Impulse!, Blue Note, Arista, Mosaic.  He did so much to get the music out to us.

Edited by felser