Bobby Hutcherson Boxed Set

56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I seem to be an outlier in today's world about this, but for me it's Montara that is the nadir. A very canned record it seems to me.

A real "Latin-Jazz" record by Hutch would have been a delight.

I counted that as one of the fluff sessions, along with Natural Illusions and Linger Lane (which I actually sort of like - to me, it's Hutcherson's "CTI" album).  Do you like this one?  I do OK, though it is his post-accident more subdued playing.

image.jpeg.ad618c9e445a195ba68beeaa9c6ca77e.jpeg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, felser said:

I counted that as one of the fluff sessions, along with Natural Illusions and Linger Lane (which I actually sort of like - to me, it's Hutcherson's "CTI" album).  Do you like this one?  I do OK, though it is his post-accident more subdued playing.

Oh yeah, Linger Lane is a keeper - fits in with the Mosaic Select records.

I like Linger Lane just fine. Natural Illusions  is probably a bit better than it seems. The sweetening was inartfully done. But the core tracks seem really solid.

The one post...whatever Hutch record that carries the full weight of Bobby Hutcherson for me was his Contemporary record. That's one for your Bobby Hutcherson Desert Island.

But even at that, I find him, from start to finish, one of the more easily listened-to soloists ever. First heard him on a Gerald Wilson record and ever since, it's just all been fun. Even the lesser records. And his first NYC years...damn near iconic.

I've always been OK with some of the "lesser" titles like
Natural Illusions, Montara, and maybe Knucklebean.
Don't know if it's because of Oehler on those last two
or if it's just the ex-vibes player in my heart. I do remember
playing Natural Illusions on the radio and a guy in the studio
telling me I was mispronouncing Bertoncini's name on the air
because he had studied with him and he knew ! I probably was.

15 minutes ago, rostasi said:

I've always been OK with some of the "lesser" titles like
Natural Illusions, Montara, and maybe Knucklebean.
Don't know if it's because of Oehler on those last two
or if it's just the ex-vibes player in my heart. I do remember
playing Natural Illusions on the radio and a guy in the studio
telling me I was mispronouncing Bertoncini's name on the air
because he had studied with him and he knew ! I probably was.

Interesting - Dale Oehler was a school chum in Iowa City while he was playing nightly with JR Monterose.

John Wilmeth was the bassist and the drummer was Rusty Jones.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

12 hours ago, colinmce said:

Yes, all in the US. I have them all as well, so I don’t think I will be getting this either. It always surprised me they didn’t do this one in the 90s before some of these were reissued, it would’ve been major. But I’m likewise glad Michael committed to getting all of this music released into the general market. 

I had a number of communications with Michael in the 90s suggesting a BH Mosaic set - he was keen but had difficulty in choosing a cut-off date so in the end it didn't happen, until now

Bobby Hutcherson's Blue Note outputs

The new Mosaic box will cover:

The Kicker (1963)

Dialogue (1965)

Components (1966)

Happenings (1966)

Stick-Up! (1966)

Oblique (1967)

Patterns (1968)

Total Eclipse (1968)

Spiral (1965, 1968)

Medina (1969)

Now! (1968) -- seems omitted, available on CD

San Francisco (1970)

----

After 1970

Head On (1971) -- available on CD

Natural Illusions (1972)  -- available on CD

Live at Montreux (1973) -- available on CD

Cirrus (1974) -- in Mosaic Select 26

Linger Lane (1975) -- available on CD

Inner Glow (1975) -- in Mosaic Select 26

Montara (1975) -- available on CD

Waiting (1976) -- in Mosaic Select 26

The View From The Inside (1976) -- in Mosaic Select 26

Knuclebean (1977) -- in Mosaic Select 26

All of them are available on Spotify anyway.

14 hours ago, felser said:

Cash, shelf space, and listening time are finite resources.

Indeed! Same here.

8 hours ago, felser said:

It's musically very good, but the sound is very problematic IMO. The drumset and amplified bass do not mix well with the Cuban percussion the way  Jeff Chambers and Eddie Marshall sound. No drum set and a drier, more Cuban style bassist would have made that a terrific record. 

This is great news but probably not for me. I have all the sessions on disc and /or LP. The alternates and one unreleased track would be nice but not worth the outlay. It's given me an excuse to end my Rollins binge and dig out my Bobby H collection and do some deep listening. Marvellous music.

I'd love to order this. I don't have Medina, Spiral or Patterns but since I got laid off times are tight. I imagine this one will sell fast bc this is prime Hutch. 

As for his other albums not on this one, I've never heard Now! so will have to try that one. Not a fan of Head On, but I do like Montara, although it doesn't necessarily come across as a Hutch album. Linger Lane is cool - didn't he record that in a forest? 

I have six of the 11 albums and will pass. I'm willing to forego the extra tracks and would rather accumulate the rest of the individual discs than get another bulky box and deal with the duplication.

Another factor is budget. All kinds of attractive reissues these days and it's tough to prioritize.

Edited by T.D.

It's not hard for me to say to "no" but not due to duplication but more for the fact that interest in Hutch went up with his return to a more straightahead style in the 80s/90s.

Doesn't a Lee Morgan 60s have to be next given their business approach and who hasn't gotten this treatment? Especially with LD using mostly organs which I think was determined to not be worthy of Mosaic treatment.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

It's not hard for me to say to "no" but not due to duplication but more for the fact that interest in Hutch went up with his return to a more straightahead style in the 80s/90s.

Doesn't a Lee Morgan 60s have to be next given their business approach and who hasn't gotten this treatment? Especially with LD using mostly organs which I think was determined to not be worthy of Mosaic treatment.

I'd certainly go for a Morgan 60s set, and it does seem like it's been discussed. I wonder though. Will Michael's passing soften Mosaic's close connection with Blue Note?

I only have about 1/2 of the albums in the box (and one of those is "Now"), so I'll be getting it. It will also be a nice tribute to Bobby and Michael.

I have the Select, but have never been very happy with those albums.

17 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I love to see a Lee Morgan 60s mosaic, but I more want a Wayne Shorter BN Mosaic set.  And I hope it will contain the unissued session (maybe prototype of Odessey of Iska...)

I'm going to pass on this one too. With the exception of the previously unissued alternate takes, I have all of it in one form or another. Also, I got laid off last year and I'm sort of in semi-retirement & this is not where I want my entertainment budget going at this time.

Glad to see that Mosaic released this.  I'll get it, but am in no hurry as I do have most of it already.  So - it's going on my Christmas list.  Supposedly, I'm hard to buy for.  Imagine that.  So, I'm going to hold off and make it easy again.  That's how I got the Clark, Hubbard, and Henderson sets.

I hope that Mosaic continues with their Blue Note set releases.  There are still quite a few opportunities from my standpoint, but I know that Mosaic does not always see it that way.  I really don't keep tabs on how readily available BN artists are on CD these days - which is always a factor when determining set viability - but I count among the potential opportunities Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd (the non Adams stuff), Horace Silver, Kenny Burrell, Chick Corea, The Three Sounds, Jimmy Smith, Grant Green (sans Sonny Clark), and maybe even Dexter Gordon and Herbie Hancock as it's been so long since their BN sets were released.  I have some other thoughts as well, but have mentioned enough already.